Lt. Commander
# 51
10-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Quote:
As exciting as the view is from space, I wondered if there’s a bridge perspective. After all, the bridge of any starship has been a major location in every Star Trek film and TV show. How can you not picture yourself sitting on the Captain’s chair and giving a Picard-like “Engage” command, complete with hand gesture? Although there will be a few bridge scenes, Zinkievich explained that it was not possible to have space POV from the bridge.

“We found that for space combat – we played around with a first-person bridge view – but really how positional it is, worrying about the different shields facing, and worrying about where your enemies are at all times….we quickly found that a third person view was necessary.”
I call BULL on Cryptic. It is entirly possible to do this, especially with advanced AI that we have now for games. Cryptic will have MANY PROBLEMS with people thinking there will be Bridge View for story and for combat.

PvP I can understand, the game play is different when fighting real people, BUT for PvE Missions, there is no reason.

Really, this is very disapointing and I find it rather cheap. PvP I can understand, but for the Option to use for PvE with good AI, there is no excuse.

Cryptic is fully capable of doing Bridge View Combat and have it work correctly.

By this statement, I would wager we will NEVER see Bridge View Combat, but who knows....
Lt. Commander
# 52
10-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Wow! That was a three page fluff piece with absolutely NO new information and even misinformation about the closed beta having started.
Lt. Commander
# 53
10-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Quote:
As exciting as the view is from space, I wondered if there’s a bridge perspective. After all, the bridge of any starship has been a major location in every Star Trek film and TV show. How can you not picture yourself sitting on the Captain’s chair and giving a Picard-like “Engage” command, complete with hand gesture? Although there will be a few bridge scenes, Zinkievich explained that it was not possible to have space POV from the bridge.

“We found that for space combat – we played around with a first-person bridge view – but really how positional it is, worrying about the different shields facing, and worrying about where your enemies are at all times….we quickly found that a third person view was necessary.”
I guess the mechanic from Bridge Commander wasn't possible here?
Lt. Commander
# 54
10-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0llyR0dg3r
Spring?

so i guess we have a time frame?

obviously they are talking about the northern hemisphere you jack
Lt. Commander
# 55
10-15-2009, 10:39 PM
nice review only problem is it feels like they copied and pasted a interview of a other site..
Lt. Commander
# 56
10-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Rain
I guess the mechanic from Bridge Commander wasn't possible here?
I dont think bridge commander allowed combat in a first person view from the bridge, I remember always having to switch to 3rd person to actually do anything?
Lt. Commander
# 57
10-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Technically, you could rack a few victories from giving orders from the bridge. I know I have.

However, there's nothing like doing things yourself. I found myself being much more effective that way - not to mention it made combat more fun for me.