Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Captain
# 21
06-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Yeah, but the proton resistance debuff was irrelevant until now because there was no proton-based damage in space combat. Now that there is (the Tholian webs), players will have to decide when to use or not use the field modulator.
Career Officer
# 22
06-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalpen View Post
or The Exact Opposite Of Opposites?!?!!?

Yeah...i Know
Protonception.
---
Gowron Simmons is pleased to see you, yes!
Commander
# 23
06-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Hmm, I'll have to test it out on my ship next time I see them. I've only fought them once but I remember that the webs are nasty. I'll turn the modulator on and poke a web and see if my ship combusts, - 400 resist should be fun.
Empire Veteran
# 24
06-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
Their standard energy weapons are Tetryon. Proton damage is only dealt by their webs. And the "All Energy" resistance you see on many pieces of equipment also affects Proton damage.
whats the story on their torpedo thing? i think we saw them use something like that on enterprise and it disabled the ships power, iirc
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Ensign
# 25
06-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalpen View Post
Come to think of it, don't I have something that is a proton resisting item? A mulator or something. Got it a few years ago
That would be the subspace modulator thing from the Devidian Arc - and I believe it was the opposite, you took EXTRA damage from Proton :-/
Cryptic Studios Team
# 26
06-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
whats the story on their torpedo thing? i think we saw them use something like that on enterprise and it disabled the ships power, iirc
It is based on that weapon (ENT 2x16: "Future Tense"), but obviously we couldn't give Tholians a weapon that completely knocks your systems offline so easily. Lore-wise, we'll just say that it's the same weapon, but the technology that players have access to have advanced sufficiently to dampen the effects.

These torpedoes deal about the same damage as a Chroniton, but also have a chance to drain your Weapons and Engines subsystems. Multiple procs of this debuff can stack. Their High Yield versions (targetable) are almost guaranteed to drain, and at a higher amount than their standard torpedoes.
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Staff Systems Designer
"Play smart!"
Follow the STO_DevTracker on Twitter!
Empire Veteran
# 27
06-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Quote:
It is based on that weapon (ENT 2x16: "Future Tense"), but obviously we couldn't give Tholians a weapon that completely knocks your systems offline so easily. Lore-wise, we'll just say that it's the same weapon, but the technology that players have access to have advanced sufficiently to dampen the effects.

These torpedoes deal about the same damage as a Chroniton, but also have a chance to drain your Weapons and Engines subsystems. Multiple procs of this debuff can stack. Their High Yield versions (targetable) are almost guaranteed to drain, and at a higher amount than their standard torpedoes.
... Can their Torpedo Launchers be an Ultra rare drop?...
I want them for my Drain Carrier.
Handle: @kirian_darkstar
Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries
Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
Starfleet Veteran
# 28
06-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstarkirian View Post
... Can their Torpedo Launchers be an Ultra rare drop?...
I want them for my Drain Carrier.
So the Tholians have an energy dampening torpedo? Is there a chance a similar version could make its way over to the Breen cruisers and dreadnoughts instead of Energy Siphon?
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook
Starfleet Veteran
# 29
06-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drudgy View Post
Just use a single Galaxy-X, with it's phaser lance of doomz! :biggrin:
Yep, the field modulator is a great item and I use it all the time in concert with Brace for Impact. However, it looks as if it may make you more vulnerable to Tholian weapons.

I always had a feeling some sneaky devil of an enemy would come rolling in with Proton-based weapons
Empire Veteran
# 30
06-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Quote:

that nx class enterprise seemed like it had -9 skill points in power insulators, every other episode their power was drained to nothing at the drop of a hat. by 2409 ships should be much more resistant, its also a good explanation for the breen not being able to energy dampen as well as they used too.

doesn't sound too over the top, just keep them off fighter pets!!! does it drain the same way that a poloran proc drains? if so i doubt it will destabilize pvp like some of the past additions have, assuming one of these torps will be a mission reward...

a promising show of restraint, if it doesn't need to be nerfed then a good deal of complaining can be avoided.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus