Career Officer
# 1 Am i just incompetent?
06-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Ok. this isn't from a pvp mission, but does involve pvp. Doing the borg mission, the one with the repair hulks and what-not, i notice that klingons and federation players are both present and able to fight each other. I had a few opportunities to have a 1v1 with some of these klingon players, and i ran into a bit of a problem. I have all the high lvl vice admiral phaser weapons and quantum torpedos. I use torpedo high yield, phaser overload, and whatever attack patterns i had available. But no matter what i do, i can't seem to put a dent in the shields of a bird fo prey, even though i'm focusing all my fire on a single side of the ship. He just sat there and laughed. Is it my weapons that are having an issue, or is it simply his shields are just so outrageously powerful that it takes a fleet to damage him? And to top it off, when he finally did attack, he took down my shields and destroyed me in less than a minute.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
06-29-2012, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyudt View Post
Ok. this isn't from a pvp mission, but does involve pvp. Doing the borg mission, the one with the repair hulks and what-not, i notice that klingons and federation players are both present and able to fight each other.

Ah, you are talking about Ker'rat- Wonderful map, that one is. :-)

Quote:
I had a few opportunities to have a 1v1 with some of these klingon players, and i ran into a bit of a problem. I have all the high lvl vice admiral phaser weapons and quantum torpedos. I use torpedo high yield, phaser overload, and whatever attack patterns i had available. But no matter what i do, i can't seem to put a dent in the shields of a bird fo prey, even though i'm focusing all my fire on a single side of the ship. He just sat there and laughed. Is it my weapons that are having an issue, or is it simply his shields are just so outrageously powerful that it takes a fleet to damage him? And to top it off, when he finally did attack, he took down my shields and destroyed me in less than a minute.
It's the bridge officer powers. He was using powers that increase his shield resists (which reduce incoming damage even before they affect shields), heals his shields using the same and other powers, and Tactical Team in order to redistribute the shields towards your attacks.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-29-2012, 01:07 AM
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=115814 This is a good starting thread for beginning PVP'ers read through it and if any questions as anyone in the organizedpvp chat channel in game
Rihannsu
# 4
06-29-2012, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyudt View Post
Ok. this isn't from a pvp mission, but does involve pvp. Doing the borg mission, the one with the repair hulks and what-not, i notice that klingons and federation players are both present and able to fight each other. I had a few opportunities to have a 1v1 with some of these klingon players, and i ran into a bit of a problem. I have all the high lvl vice admiral phaser weapons and quantum torpedos. I use torpedo high yield, phaser overload, and whatever attack patterns i had available. But no matter what i do, i can't seem to put a dent in the shields of a bird fo prey, even though i'm focusing all my fire on a single side of the ship. He just sat there and laughed. Is it my weapons that are having an issue, or is it simply his shields are just so outrageously powerful that it takes a fleet to damage him? And to top it off, when he finally did attack, he took down my shields and destroyed me in less than a minute.
Ok, I have some questions...

First, what kind of a ship are you flying.

Second, what kind of an officer are you?

Third, do you use your distribute shields (Either by clicking on your ship image in the UI, the button it's self, or Via Keybinds)?

Fourth do you use Tac Team and/or Emergency Power to shields and/or Transfer Shield strength?

Fifth, do you have Reverse Shield Polarity?

Sixth, what power settings do you run at?

Seventh, What other Bridge officer Powers, and Gear do you run, and how many Skill points have you spent in your skills?

Once you have answered those questions, you should be able to get the EXACT help that will be required. Because there are many factors as to why you had such a hard time byond the questions.
You think that your beta test was bad?
Think about this:
American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku

Last edited by webdeath; 06-29-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 5
06-29-2012, 02:01 AM
eighth, what doffs are on your active roster?
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
06-29-2012, 04:04 AM
You say a superuber Bop vaporized you in less than a minute...well, you aren't not so bad because I often see poor Feds destroyed in less than 5 secs...
But you've to provide far more information if you want to be assisted.
After a fierce battle against the evuls a Fed Captain needs some relax!
Empire Veteran
# 7
06-29-2012, 04:36 AM
Ninth: If all your energy weapons are the same energy type are you using the correct tactical consoles to boost that weapon type's base damage?

Edited to add the word "energy"
If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
They taste the same.

Last edited by piwright42; 06-29-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Career Officer
# 8
06-29-2012, 06:19 AM
Sonics already prescribed a good thread and the OPVP channel, but I'm not passing up a chance to push my Defense Demo Video!!!

This will give you a good view of what is going on when you're being attacked and what you can do to preserve yourself. The abilities used are available on any ship. The equipment is all common MK X.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwioA-jUgPA&feature=plcp

For a response on what you could do to ATTACK, if you provide the information to the posters in this thread already I'm sure they can help you out.
Captain
# 9
06-29-2012, 08:17 AM
It's really hard to give advice because there are so many questions and variables that go into this, but here's one that generally works (and in all PvP, not just STO): watch his cooldowns. Don't blow Tac skills on a reinforced shield, tank it out and wait until there's an open spot in his heal/resist rotation. Against B'rels this is often no longer than a few dozen seconds as they tend to retreat if the spike fails.
Career Officer
# 10 You're not incompetent
06-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Just inexperienced. Moving from PVE TO PVP in a huge jump in this game. NPCs are dumb. Even the uber strong borg ones. PVPers build their ships to reduce/negate your damage while using any and all availabilities to kill you. Like most PVPers you too have to learn and adapt your gear, boffs, doffs and most important of all...a flexible strategy. Also its cery important to know what every buff in the game does and how to counter it. This way you'll be in a position to withstand attacks and also better time your own attacks. You'll find that just smashing the fire all weapons button wont work well if thats your only strategy. If you need more detailed help I suggest asking the experienced players in game about how to improve. You can also hit me up ingame for help with your nuild and abilities.