Career Officer
# 11
06-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
Sonics already prescribed a good thread and the OPVP channel, but I'm not passing up a chance to push my Defense Demo Video!!!

This will give you a good view of what is going on when you're being attacked and what you can do to preserve yourself. The abilities used are available on any ship. The equipment is all common MK X.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwioA-jUgPA&feature=plcp

Never underestimate the power of Fireworks!!!!
Career Officer
# 12
06-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edalgo View Post
Just inexperienced. Moving from PVE TO PVP in a huge jump in this game.
^^ THIS!

You can be the best NPC killer out there, and wipe anything you find on elite while watching a movie and eating popcorn, but if you try PvP, it's a whole new game.

1. Know your enemies
2. Predict your enemies strategy
3. Know how to counter said strategy
4. Learn your enemies weakness
5. Take advantage of said weaknesses.
6. Find the weaknesses of your build, and remedy them.

so... how does this look?
1. You know your enemy can be a BoP. Small, maneuvrable, cloakable, heavy damage.
2. Expect them to decloak and deliver 15 seconds of insane damage
3. Be ready to run away, Tac team, EPtoS. (remember situational awareness! you may have to start defending befor you're being attacked even!)
4. Like the narrow firing arc of cannons (bops have few generic weaknesses... study your enemy)
5. Like using a tractor beam, or repulsors
6. You may want to go back to ESD and change abilities

Lastly, gear has very little to do with anything. You can do PvP with all green XI gear. The only real advantage in gear, you get from the engine/shield/deflector sets.
Captain
# 13
06-29-2012, 02:08 PM
keep practicing bro!
Career Officer
# 14
06-30-2012, 11:39 AM
It took some of us months, if not years to be at the current level.

Dont worry about it just keep tweaking and tuning and learning and you will get better and better!
Career Officer
# 15
06-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marctraiderz View Post
It took some of us months, if not years to be at the current level.
I've spent almost 900 days, and I haven't even reached my current level yet!
Career Officer
# 16
07-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Ok, I've tried regular phasers, with consoles to increase phaser damage, and i've also tried tetryon beams, with the tetryon boosters. i've tried combinations with damage resistance to energy and kinetic damage, both specific and overall. I did read the provided post, along with some ship builds post for basics, and I set up my ship to conform to that. I have 2 epts, 2 eng. teams. 1 tac team. reverse shield polarity, hazard emitters, transfer shield strength, pretty much anything that can restore my shields and hull. I also have torpedo high yield, beam overload, and my ship is the sovereign. I understand it isn't designed to do damage, but to support and focus more on healing than doing damage. I am a tactical officer, and i most always have the power settings set to full weapons. I have tried doing full shields, and adjusting each one to be fairly even. I know there are duty officers that have certain effects on my ships systems, but i don't really understand how they're supposed to function. i guess i get the basics of the game, but it's hte finer points that are killing me. I understand my bridge officer abilities well enough. So, basically, how do i set up the duty officers properly for a cruiser build, and what am i missing overall?

Last edited by ghyudt; 07-04-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Career Officer
# 17
07-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty8mac View Post
Never underestimate the power of Fireworks!!!!
Rotflmao!!! That was extremely entertaining and helpful. So, the auxiliary battery is what increases the shield powers? Not the shield battery? I'll admit, i've never actually used the batteries before. I must have 100+ sitting in esd in my bank. I generally use quantum torpedoes with all my setups, one fron and one rear. Are transphasics better? i know they do damage through shields, but is it worth it? And what are the advantages of each torpedo? I know tricobalts to massive damage once the targets dhields are down, but nothing if they hit shields. And what are chroniton torpedoes good for? Damn, not only did you answer a few questions for me, you actually made me stop and think about my choice of weapons.
Banned
# 18
07-04-2012, 03:58 PM
The first thing you should do is read my ultimate cruiser thread 2.0 (see my sig for the link).

Second.. ditch the Oddy. It's Too Fat For Tacs. Seriously, tacs rely on agility to survive and do damage. the oddy doesn't have agility.

Sovereigns and Excels for life for fed tac cruisers.

Last edited by mavairo; 07-04-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Career Officer
# 19
07-04-2012, 04:12 PM
I meant Soveriegn. Idk why i was thinking oddysey and i read through this several times already. I have even followed much of the advice in it, but i can't seem to make myself lose the torpedoes. lol. But i do set up for defense and shield recovery.

Last edited by ghyudt; 07-04-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Banned
# 20
07-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyudt View Post
I meant Soveriegn. Idk why i was thinking oddysey and i read through this several times already. I have even followed much of the advice in it, but i can't seem to make myself lose the torpedoes. lol. But i do set up for defense and shield recovery.
S'okay it was just a slip of the tongue. We all do it. (some with more awkward social ramifications than others...)