Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Career Officer
i'm new to carriers and i would like to hear from carrier capitans to see what you think is the most effective fighters.

i have the doh to get a new fighter class but not sure which one does the best job.
attack ships or repair ships.

thanks
Keeny
Banned
# 2
06-27-2012, 01:16 PM
If you want a blunt answer...

...PvE - doesn't matter. Just a DPS race, so take whatever. It's too stupidly easy and mind-numbingly boring to be of enough challenge to consider this level of micromanagement and be taken seriously.

...PvP - My vote is on the Runabout. Tractors help in PvP considerably with how often 4 of those things will proc. Combine that with the 360 degree phaser arrays they have for phaser procs (particularly when you and your team run phasers as well) and you get a good number of enemy subsystems knocked offline in a match.

If you're running a healer Atrox, I'd consider shield repair drones.
Career Officer
# 3
06-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Well, PvE is a DPS race, so the question is - what adds the most DPS?
And there are even a few exceptions - in STFs, some crowd control can be neat to have as well - there teh Runabouts rock again.

DPS-wise, I am not sure if the Stalkers or the Peregrines are better. I usually only see Carriers in PvP, and then it's Danube.
Career Officer
# 4
06-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustrumridcully0 View Post
Well, PvE is a DPS race, so the question is - what adds the most DPS?
And there are even a few exceptions - in STFs, some crowd control can be neat to have as well - there teh Runabouts rock again.

DPS-wise, I am not sure if the Stalkers or the Peregrines are better. I usually only see Carriers in PvP, and then it's Danube.

I haven't tested Stalkers, as I don't have the Atrox.

I had some odd results from my testing.

Against stationary targets, Danubes and Peregrines were nearly even. This is due to the Peregrines flying around at top speed whether it's necessary or not.

Against moving targets the Peregrines took the lead, this is due to their slightly better weapons and them now chasing the target as opposed to flying around in circles.

The peregrines also have a much better recast rate, making it easier to bring them back from when they explode (and they will explode).

One of the largest sources of pet damage on STFs is...warp core breaches.

Your pets getting themselves killed all the time is actually them doing you a favor.

PvP issues aside, Danubes are very good for specific things, dealing with negh'vars for example.

Delta flyers were generally much weaker than both, and their shield stripping abilities are not particularly strong (at least with only one caster present).
Commander
# 5
06-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Also keep in mind that most fighters, you fart in their direction and the whole squad is blown apart. The runabouts have a stupid level of 18k hull and can take a pretty decent barrage.

[Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
Banned
# 6
06-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiouvegeta2 View Post
Also keep in mind that most fighters, you fart in their direction and the whole squad is blown apart. The runabouts have a stupid level of 18k hull and can take a pretty decent barrage.
This is very true. Runabouts are similar to launching 4x LTC-level ships with VA weapons.
Career Officer
# 7
06-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiouvegeta2 View Post
The Borg still make quick work of Danubes on Elite STFs.

On top of this, Peregrines have a faster cast time and as I mentioned above pets dying near enemy NPCs is actually a solid contribution of their overall damage output.
Career Officer
# 8
06-27-2012, 02:40 PM
It will be mainly PVE that I will play but it's sounding like the runabouts are the good all rounder.

Are the healers any good to make a difference?
Career Officer
# 9
06-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeny75 View Post
It will be mainly PVE that I will play but it's sounding like the runabouts are the good all rounder.
They are, but I would recommend the Adv Peregrine Fighters for your all purpose choice and Danubes if you want some control (I usually use them on CSE).

I haven't used the heal pets.
Career Officer
# 10
06-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
Peregrine Fighters for your all purpose choice and Danubes if you want some control (I usually use them on CSE)..
what's CSE?