Starfleet Veteran
In STO there are 5 currencies. Yes, that might seem to be a lot, but apart from gold pressed latinum I can see their purpose and their need to exist in our game. My take on the currencies are...

EC - If I need to flesh this out then you shouldn't be playing.
C-Points (CP) - To me I see C-Points as being real money. You essentially are paying real money to obtain objects that are more powerful than the average stock item.
Gold Pressed Latinum (GPL) - Pretty useless at the moment, but I've read that the GPL store will be buffed out soon.
Dilithium - (DIL) - I can see the need for DIL and its strict control as it's used in the crafting of more powerful objects (although the crafting system does need an update), but more importantly it's the only in game currency that can be traded for CP. Not controlling it would result in abuse.
Lobi (LOB) - Used to purchase unique items that PWE feel a) are a little too powerful to place in other currency stores, b) should be a little rarer than the average C-Store item, and c) they can make money on. (I don't begrudge PWE wanting to make profit. If they don't make profit, STO ceases to be.)

So far we can transfer EC to other toons. CP is account global. GPL and DIL are grinding currencies and I can understand grinding currencies being bound to a character because they're rewards for that particular character's effort.

What confuses me is LOB being bound to a character. The only way LOB can be obtained is via the purchase of lockbox keys. Lockbox keys are purchased with CP, therefore LOB is, for all intents and purposes, a real world currency. (Before anyone responds by saying that you can buy keys off the exchange, the original seller of those keys had to pay real money for them.)

I can certainly understand the rationale behind not being able to trade LOB to other players. That would be akin to trading real money, which I'm sure would be illegal and would result in me quitting the game immediately. I'd be confident in saying that I probably wouldn't be the only one.

Why should LOB, a currency based on real money, be character bound when CP are not? The keys can be transferred between toons, the lockboxes can be traded between toons, why not the currency? Yes, bind on pickup the items that these currencies purchase, but really, unlock the LOB so each toon can use it.

Right now I'm in the predicament of having a D'Kora that I wish to give to a new character (which was created after I purchased more toon slots. That's profit for you, PWE), but that character has no LOB so I can't get the Ferengi weapon set. I'm not prepared to buy more LOB with real money (that is what you do, after all) so I'm left with the option of using the D'Kora on another character that I don't really want to or not using the D'Kora at all. Both of these options diminish the gaming experience, and this is after I've already paid PWE real money for the LOB I already have. I'm sure that there are other situations that may exist where someone has LOB bound to one character and they wish to create a new toon but aren't prepared to buy more LOB.

PWE, please make LOB account bound. By leaving it character bound you're making it harder for people who are prepared to pay money to keep you in business. From a business perspective, these are the people you need to keep happy.

I really feel that someone from PWE should respond to this as this is a serious and legitimate question involving real money. Money that keeps PWE in business. I didn't just whinge, I laid out a rational thought process, and from conversation in-game, I know I'm not the only person who feels this way. Please, PWE, respect our thoughts and provide a response.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
06-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Wow, no official response from PWE. I know you guys read the forums as I've been responding to a thread where another dev has been posting in.

This topic relates to us spending real money which is essentially company profits. A reply would be polite.
Captain
# 3
06-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Lobi has been pretty messed up for a long time (a lot more so before and after the Gamma Quadrant DOff event). If you do the actual math for even the most basic of items from the Lobi store, it's really not pretty.

I have a feeling that Lobi were intended to be a kind of fluff currency, something of an adjunct to the meat of whatever was in a lockbox (hence why the majority of the Lobi store items are cosmetic). It hasn't quite worked out this way ---- I'd kill for those Photonic BOffs, or to actually throw the Ferengi set onto a D'Kora.
Captain
# 4
06-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
This topic relates to us spending real money which is essentially company profits. A reply would be polite.
From what I;ve seen, they don;t normally respond to threads concerning money.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Career Officer
# 5
06-29-2012, 09:35 PM

Since Cryptic keeps saying lobi is NOT a currency, I think it should be unbound and tradable.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
06-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericii View Post

Since Cryptic keeps saying lobi is NOT a currency, I think it should be unbound and tradable.
i agree and all they have to do is flag it as account bound but guess they want to force us to buy more keys.
Career Officer
# 7
06-29-2012, 10:24 PM
open boxes with one character transfer rewards to others. everything but lobi can be traded, what's the problem?

Works fine.
Captain
# 8
06-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Lobi and Dilithium should be account bound.

My fed character had a ****ton of Dilithium by the time I finally got around to starting a KDF character, would have been nice to be able to transfer some of my Dilithium so I could get a better ship.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-30-2012, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundrelic View Post
Lobi and Dilithium should be account bound.
You can trade dilithium to your other characters by using the Dilithium Exchange.

As for Lobi, the fact that it's still not account based is actually pretty lame.
Don't fall for the fake advertising: Guild Wars 2 is a WoW clone and a poor one too.
Captain
# 10
06-30-2012, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maina View Post
open boxes with one character transfer rewards to others. everything but lobi can be traded, what's the problem?

Works fine.
False. Missile Launcher, Mine Launcher, Console for the ferengi set are bind on pick up. The whip is bind on pick up. The misers delight is bind on pick up, so I assume the golden knowledge is too.

I wish lobi was tradeable... I have a friend who would be willing to send 200 to me so I could get the missile launcher, but he just isnt able to actually send them. Either that or everything in the lobi store needs to be tradeable and nothing should be bind on pickup.

Last edited by amayakitsune; 06-30-2012 at 01:06 AM.