Lt. Commander
# 1 Vivox Voice Chat Now in STO
07-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Now you can use Vivox Voice Chat to talk with your friends and Fleet members in Star Trek Online! Click below to learn more about the integrated Vivox VoIP chat system and how it can enhance your game experience.

Link to Voice Chat info page
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-07-2011, 01:23 PM
This is hands down the best integrated VOIP I have seen in any game based on my experiences with it on Tribble. I can't wait to see how it plays out with the whole of Holodeck using it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmacgirthy View Post
This is hands down the best integrated VOIP I have seen in any game based on my experiences with it on Tribble. I can't wait to see how it plays out with the whole of Holodeck using it.
I'm wondering if they will ever have it so the private channels you create for text chat in game can handle this as well.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Very cool. Had my first go at in-game fleet voice chat today, and everyone had it up and running well within a few minutes (Noticed that everyone had to bring up their microphone level considerably to be audible, might want to change the default?). I do notice some choppiness and stuttering from some players, but overall it's working quite well so far. Team chat is also working great.
Lt. Commander
# 5 Nice
07-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Can Not Get Mine To Work!! It Did On Tribble!
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-07-2011, 03:03 PM
I hope the voice system can be deactivated by default, because it would be very anoying if I have to deactivate the voice chat everytime I start the game.
I am able to play the game, but nothing more even playing is just possible. The additional voice traffic will kill the connection for sure.

I am not against voice systems, but I can't use them so it is important for me to disable them. I have tried teamspeaker in the background and the result was devastating for the game play.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Once you disable it, it should be disabled until you turn it back on.
That being said, the Vivox system is pretty good when it comes to bandwidth; you guys will be pleasantly surprised.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MundaneRaptor View Post
Once you disable it, it should be disabled until you turn it back on.
That being said, the Vivox system is pretty good when it comes to bandwidth; you guys will be pleasantly surprised.
I have to say that I am .... add in the ability to use it for custom channels and I will dance a jig.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Pleasently surprised?
I have disabled the voice system, nevertheless it seems, that there is noch chance to play the new game. With or without chat. Suddenly it seems to need so much bandwidth, that this game died for me.

I just have 768 / 128 kBit bandwidth and STO was fantastic as I could play this game with only minor problems due to the bandwidth problem. Now this time seems to be gone.
I really like STO. Voice systems never where interesting for me, especially with my connection, but that way it is now playing is impossible.

Is there still traffic from the voice system even when it is turned off? If yes, is there any way to totally shut it down?
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-07-2011, 04:10 PM
me and the fleet i am in spent the better part of 30 minutes trying to get this ingame voice chat to work and were convinced that you got the cheapest crappiest product you could for this game.

we didnt get anywhere with it, just static and a barely auditable voice in the background. we ended up going to Raidcall just to talk through an aborted Cure run and boy did that get tedious with armek.