Ensign
# 1 patching trouble
06-29-2012, 02:17 PM
I decided to try out STO for the first time on the recommendation of a friend and after downloading and installing everything, I went to play for the first time. After creating the account and logging in, I reach the point where it says it needs to patch my install. Ignoring the question of why my fresh install has to download another 500MB of patches, I quickly ran into a problem. The patching hangs. After waiting 45 minutes and seeing no response I went ahead and tried to cancel the patching, but it didn't respond to that either so I closed it and restarted. It appears that I don't have to start all over again, thankfully, but after another 5 MB it again hung. So I restarted and got 2 MB before it hung. Then tried again and got 18MB before it hung. This latest time I got 1MB before it hung. At this rate I will only have to kill process another ~200 times before I get it working (provided all the restarts haven't corrupted the install completely).

Seeing as how I'm just trying to play the game for the first time to check it out, this is an inauspicious start. After looking through the forums at various issues popping up, I'm about ready to uninstall and give up without ever getting the game running.

I could just be unlucky and I will likely try again at some point but this seems like a pretty major problem, add the connection issues I've been reading about from long time users and it frankly doesn't look good.
Captain
# 2
06-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Try just letting it run for a longer time, sometimes that helps. I had no trouble patching today's update, though that's from a more recent stock than what the installer has, so I'd definitely just try it again.
Ensign
# 3
06-29-2012, 03:21 PM
I did wait, I waited 45 minutes after it had hung before I did anything. When I checked on it in process explorer and see that it has been literally doing nothing for 45 minutes there is no reason to wait. I have process explorer setup tracking what the program has been doing and in each case it appears to be stuck in a procedure call that is failing and being retried indefinitely. All I/O has stopped and doesn't respond to the cancel button. Have to close it and restart to get any action.
Captain
# 4
06-29-2012, 04:24 PM
can you provide the results to the 2 tests in the sticky here please? I ask because one of them is used against the patch server and is a quick way to check to see if you're having a connection issue:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=225155

But yes, that's how the patching works. It downloads the patch in smaller bits, installs it, and then moves on to the next portion.

Shouldn;t be that much of a delay unless there's a connection issue.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Ensign
# 5
06-29-2012, 10:09 PM
I was able to use a different internet connection (I use a gaming laptop) to finish downloading the patches properly and start trying it out. It was likely some sort of connection issue with the firewall (not windows firewall, but pfSense).