Lt. Commander
# 51
10-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Will there be a viable option other than Starfleet or the Klingon Empire? A neutral faction? And how about the Orion syndicate
Lt. Commander
# 52 Combat skills
10-18-2009, 01:26 PM
In ground combat will we eventually progress to the point where we can "one shot" opponents?
On all of the series, a phaser shot would either stun you, kill you, or vaporize you. And the Klingon weapons all seemed to be one shot vaporizers.
Will we ever get to that level? Or will we always have to hit the enemies with a dozen phaser blasts?
Lt. Commander
# 53
10-18-2009, 01:44 PM
1. How do players progress in non-combat activities? For instance, how do you become a better diplomat, explorer, or "crafter"?

2. Is there a "sidekicking" option for experienced players to join up with inexperienced players?

3. Are there ways to progress while you're offline (ex. rest XP)?

4. Are there any separate PvP-only systems for player progression, like WoW's honor or WAR's ranks? Or do we earn the same kind of experience in PvP as we do in PvE?

5. Does Klingon progression mirror Starfleet, or are there unique ways that Klingons differ (ex. mutiny, more focus on PvP, more combat-oriented, etc.)?
Lt. Commander
# 54 Rank
10-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Do I have the option of retaining the rank of "Captain" or do I get forced up being an Admiral.

I say this because, despite knowing that there are better abilities being an Admiral, I would prefer to keep the rank of Captain and I know that the rank is based on your number of skillpoints accumulated.
Lt. Commander
# 55
10-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Klingons Klingons Klingons...

We're down to minor technical details about Starfleet progression, but have yet to see a thing about the Ks.

They need some lovin' too.

Like:
- their ranks;
- their ships;
- how different from the Feds they actually go about their business;
- etc.

It's somewhat ridiculous that we're getting into beta without even having the basics down for the Klingon half of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 56
10-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanderbeck View Post
Klingons Klingons Klingons...

We're down to minor technical details about Starfleet progression, but have yet to see a thing about the Ks.

They need some lovin' too.

Like:
- their ranks;
- their ships;
- how different from the Feds they actually go about their business;
- etc.

It's somewhat ridiculous that we're getting into beta without even having the basics down for the Klingon half of the game.
To expand on this, with the current amount of timeline revealed (obviously still not complete), how are the Gorn and Orion supposed to progress if they're at war with their own faction?
Lt. Commander
# 57
10-19-2009, 01:33 AM
I only have one question...

Will I be able to reach top rank/endgame without ever firing my weapons? Or atleast without any "kills".

To me, if you never need to fire your weapons (but solve the situations in a non-hostile manner) should be the fastest way of climbing the ranks. Ofcourse i'm talkin Fed now, as for the Klingon side, that's a whole other story..
Lt. Commander
# 58 question
10-19-2009, 10:15 AM
WIll player progression be speeded up when working with higher level characters? For example. If you go on a mission with someone that's been in the game longer will you be able to survive those higher level missions and get more experience by doing so?
Lt. Commander
# 59
10-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
Next Tuesday, October 20, at 11:30 a.m. Pacific time (we’re GMT -7 right now), we’ll be holding a developer’s chat in the official Star Trek Online IRC chat!
This week's topic is player progression. We've talked about this previously in an Ask Cryptic, but we'd like to use this chat for any follow-up questions you'd like to ask the devs in real time.
The chat is scheduled to last 30 minutes. If you can’t make it due to time constraints, we’ll be posting a transcript of the chat on the forums.
If you’d like to join us, point your IRC program of choice toward #STO on coldfront.net, or click right here for a Java client, then type "/join #STO" in the input area. And if you can’t make it, just reply with your question in this post’s comment thread. We’ll be selecting questions from the thread to put to the developers.

Link to the news article.
Ok here is my question, in pervious "ASK CRIPTIC's" you stated that we will earn skill points after we finish episodes, If and how will this be comperable to SP for PvP, exploration and the other aspects of the game. Also what can we look at as the SP required to max out a single skill.
Lt. Commander
# 60
10-19-2009, 11:20 AM
The recently posted article on player progression notes that there are now effectively 6 ranks. As such, I am wondering if you might consider realigning the ranks so that they fit the 6 Starfleet line officer ranks leaving out Admiral and adding Lieutenant, Junior Grade between Ensign and Lieutenant. This would both be more in line with Star Trek's cannon and will alleviate the issue where a player can hold the rank of Admiral, have bridge officers of the rank of Captain, but bridge stations only go to Commander rank. Furthermore, it is more in line with cannon allowing a Captain to command a Sovereign or Luna (like Picard and Riker respectively) instead of having to be flag officer, while Commanders like Sisko and later Worf could command a Tier 4 ship such as the Defiant. Honestly, this is just a minor textural change, but I think it would simplify the game and add to the Star Trek feel instead of simply "forgetting" about the Lieutenant, Junior Grade rank. Admiral ranks could then be used for fleet specific purposes or as a route for future expansion (someday you may want to add a tier 6 set of ships).

Thanks in advance and I look forward to the chat.