Rihannsu
# 11
06-30-2012, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by otakuboyt View Post
That SHOULD do it.
And if it doesn't, the customers I had that infected themselves with it last week were able to remove it by going into Safe Mode and running Combofix.

And yes, I too get Mac users that are infected. I do like that Apple finally changed their information page about viruses to no-longer say they are totally immune.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
And if it doesn't, the customers I had that infected themselves with it last week were able to remove it by going into Safe Mode and running Combofix.

And yes, I too get Mac users that are infected. I do like that Apple finally changed their information page about viruses to no-longer say they are totally immune.
Combofix for the win!

Just be sure, absolutly sure, that you get it from bleepingcomputer.com. There are several imposters out there that will mess up your computer worse than the original infection. Also the forums at bleepingcomputer are an excelent source of removal tips and tricks for thoose infections that combofix/malwarebytes will not remove.
Quote:
99 bugs found in the code!
99 bugs found in the code!
Fix one bug!
Compile it again!
101 bugs found in the code!
Captain
# 13
06-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortwort View Post
Of course they wouldn't.

<_<
>_>

<_<

(>o_o)> ($) (^.^)
But seriously, if law enforcement ARE taking money under the table, then it's clear corruption and holding you ransom is illegal, so they may as well be criminals.
Republic Veteran
# 14
07-01-2012, 12:29 PM
  • All viruses are preventable.
    • Don't go to those websites.
    • Don't engage in illegal software copying.
    • Stay off P2P file sharing sites.
    • Don't click on ANYTHING that pops up! (If you feel something isn't right, go to task manager and end the service of every browser that is open)
    • Use common sense. (There is no way to get a free iPad, $1,000,000, or a bigger ****. And that hot girl who wants to talk to you isn't even real. And if she is, she looks like this.)
  • Macs have their own viruses.
  • Macs didn't get a lot of viruses before because there weren't enough of them to fool with.
    • One of the best examples I ever heard: Windows in a store in the worst part of town with bars on the windows and a security system. Mac is a country home with the door unlocked. Not being targeted doesn't equal "secure".
  • Own a virus scan. Here are some good options. (Yes, that goes for you too, Mac owners.)
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.

Last edited by commadorebob; 07-01-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Captain
# 15
07-01-2012, 12:32 PM
I feel such happyness when lots of people agree with me
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Captain
# 16
07-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post
  • Don't go to those websites.
  • Don't engage in illegal software copying.
  • Stay off P2P file sharing sites.
I file share and I've never had an issue. Of course I run with flash turned off, adverts blocked and third party site cookies disallowed. edit: I also don't grab from new users either.

There are some sites out there that have a clue as well as admins who stay on top of those things.

Of course then I worked on a computer of a local client who had 300+ hits off of Malwarebytes. Cleaned them all off, reinstalled windows, gave the lecture, and two weeks later had over a hundred more.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Rihannsu
# 17
07-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Macs are so inferior, just saying
Republic Veteran
# 18
07-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewendell View Post
I file share and I've never had an issue. Of course I run with flash turned off, adverts blocked and third party site cookies disallowed. edit: I also don't grab from new users either.

There are some sites out there that have a clue as well as admins who stay on top of those things.

Of course then I worked on a computer of a local client who had 300+ hits off of Malwarebytes. Cleaned them all off, reinstalled windows, gave the lecture, and two weeks later had over a hundred more.
I'm like a stunt driver. My post was that little "Don't try this at home" message at the bottom of the screen. If people, in general, knew what they were doing on the computer, I wouldn't need to be so basic.

I also tell people to never overclock their CPUs. But if you are an expert at it, then knock yourself out. But again, I'm not generally giving PC advice to experts. "OMG, I have a virus! I need a Mac!" doesn't strike me as a guy who knows what he is doing.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.

Last edited by commadorebob; 07-01-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Rihannsu
# 19
07-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewendell View Post
That's fine, it keeps me in business warning them about the viruses when we see the activity on our (ISPs) network, and the PC techs in business cleaning them up. Or, in the case of Geek Squad, doing absolutely nothing to fix the problem yet still charging the customer.
Career Officer
# 20
07-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spektre12 View Post
I cannot wait until I buy my MacBook Pro or iMac....sick of Windows viruses and punk hackers who have nothing better to do.

sorry all just ranting........

FYI - the only reason Macs never had a lot of virus issues was because hackers considered the userbase too small and niche to target. With the popularuty of IPones and IPads, that/'s changing - so even after you get your Mac, you'll want to install one of the new Mac virus checkers that are out there.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."