Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 195
# 21
07-01-2012, 12:52 PM
It's easy to make yourself nearly-immune to that kind of crap on a pc.

1) Update your virus scanner. If you need a free one, avast is decent if not better than the "professional" crap (or just "crap" actually) like norton and mcafee.

2) Stop using internet explorer. No seriously. Use Firefox and outfit it with the following addons: adblock plus, noscript. Noscript in particular is nice because you can allow scripts that come directly from the site you're on, but not the bad/worthless crap.

3) Use spybot S&D and malwarebytes anti-malware at -least- once a month to help keep your system clean. Of course, between 1 and 2, I find that I never find anything anymore.

Getting a mac most certainly isn't the answer. While there might be "fewer things" to infect macs, there's a reason for that: Macs are nowhere near as widespread and popular, so if you're going to write a malicious program, who do you target--the small group or the large group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post
  • Don't go to those websites.
  • Stay off P2P file sharing sites.
This advice can safely be ignored. (No offense, bob)

1) With the above-mentioned setup, I can literally visit any site I want and be perfectly safe as long as I don't allow script access.

2) It's safe to download non-executable files, such as music, videos, or various images in a P2P environment. The only danger comes from executables, which goes hand in hand with downloading illegal software. (That's only bad because it's usually laced with all sorts of malicious crap)


If you want to go the apple route, well have fun throwing your money away!

Most of my characters suck | I suck at Twitter, too!

Last edited by aesica; 07-01-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,286
# 22
07-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesica View Post
This advice can safely be ignored. (No offense, bob)
None taken. My advice is for those who are computer illiterate. And whining because your computer has a virus and threatening to buy a Mac doesn't say "literacy" to me.
___________________________
@Commadore_Bob; Joined Jul 2009; That post count + 20,000
Click on my sig to view Family-Friendly Youtube Videos
I also now have a logo shop. Click my sig!
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 195
# 23
07-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post
None taken. My advice is for those who are computer illiterate. And whining because your computer has a virus and threatening to buy a Mac doesn't say "literacy" to me.
LOL, good point!

Most of my characters suck | I suck at Twitter, too!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,206
# 24
07-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,007
# 25
07-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesica View Post
1) Manually Update your virus scanner.
Fixed. One of the reasons why I stopped suggesting AVG was that there was a required manual upgrade awhile back with no notification and no notification that updates were (edit: forgot next word) not being applied. The only reasons why I found out about it was because I checked the logs and say the error. I doubt many other folks saw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesica View Post
2) Stop using internet explorer. No seriously. Use Firefox and outfit it with the following addons: adblock plus, noscript. Noscript in particular is nice because you can allow scripts that come directly from the site you're on, but not the bad/worthless crap.
Firefox had a known security hole for 18+ months. While that still makes them better than IE, I;m really iffy on recommending them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesica View Post
3) Use programs like spybot S&D, malwarebytes anti-malware, etc. Of course, between 1 and 2, I find that I never find anything anymore.
Never use "like" when writing a howto. Programs "like" those are the fake ones that pop up in your browser and tell you that you need to buy their stuff for "protection". Always use specifics. that way folks reading the documentation know very specifically as to what to install.

And as for the Macs, I have 5 XServe RAIDs that we use for backups. I like them, had them for years (3 of them are used) and have had no problems with them except for a single bad drive.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 254
# 26
07-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewendell View Post
Firefox had a known security hole for 18+ months. While that still makes them better than IE, I;m really iffy on recommending them now.
The last study I saw in 12/2011 had Chrome as most secure, and IE in second place, with Firefox trailing both.

http://www.accuvant.com/capability/a...ative-approach
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,007
# 27
07-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
The last study I saw in 12/2011 had Chrome as most secure, and IE in second place, with Firefox trailing both.
I'm real iffy with Chrome as I'm not a big Google fan when it comes to privacy.....

Nexus is looking mighty good right around now
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 745
# 28
07-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post
None taken. My advice is for those who are computer illiterate. And whining because your computer has a virus and threatening to buy a Mac doesn't say "literacy" to me.
They should obviously be switching to Linux instead of buying a Mac.

=====

Important addition to the conversation: Pay-to-use antivirus rapidly becomes worthless if you let the subscription lapse. This includes "free trials" of things that either come with your computer or provided by your ISP -- once that free trial is up, you won't get updates, so either shell out for a subscription or uninstall and switch to a free AV solution (which you also need to keep up to date).

I've cleaned up computers that had McAfee/Panda/Norton because the person just assumed "BUT I HAZ PROTECTIONS I'M SAFE FOREVER." Followed by "Oh, that blahblah-updatey thingy, I just close it." *Update regularly* or kiss your data goodbye.

And, as mentioned, but bears repeating -- most Antivirus will need to be supplemented with a Adware detector and browser addons.

Spybot S&D

Firefox = Adblock Plus, Scriptblock, Flashblock

IMHO Firewall is actually best handled by a hardware router between your computer and the internet. Windows firewall is "meh" and Zonealarm can go horribly awry.

(Personally, I use Kaspersky Internet Security so I don't need Spybot or browser add-ons, it does it all for me, but KIS isn't really newbie friendly).
__________________________________________________
"I weary of the chase. Wait for me. I shall be merciful and quick."

Last edited by beezle23; 07-01-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 195
# 29
07-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewendell View Post
Fixed. One of the reasons why I stopped suggesting AVG was that there was a required manual upgrade awhile back with no notification and no notification that updates were (edit: forgot next word) not being applied. The only reasons why I found out about it was because I checked the logs and say the error. I doubt many other folks saw it.
"Manually" was implied since "update your virus scanner" is issuing a command to the reader. And yeah, I stopped recommending/supporting AVG as well, but it was after the second or third false positive.

Quote:
Firefox had a known security hole for 18+ months. While that still makes them better than IE, I;m really iffy on recommending them now.
Perhaps, but when you look at the major alternatives (IE, Chrome) it still wins.

Quote:
Never use "like" when writing a howto. Programs "like" those are the fake ones that pop up in your browser and tell you that you need to buy their stuff for "protection". Always use specifics. that way folks reading the documentation know very specifically as to what to install.
I mainly wanted to leave it open for more recommendations, because I know there's more out there than just those two. They're just what I use and what has worked for me for years now. I guess you have a point though--I'll edit.

Most of my characters suck | I suck at Twitter, too!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,007
# 30
07-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesica View Post
"Manually" was implied since "update your virus scanner" is issuing a command to the reader. And yeah, I stopped recommending/supporting AVG as well, but it was after the second or third false positive.
With all due respect, no it doesn't. Update means let the program update itself to many folks. Install and forget while assuming you;re protected is assumed by many.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:38 PM.