Republic Veteran
# 41
07-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdawson View Post
Personally, I would still recommend Firefox over both Chrome and IE. IE is slow, resource heavy and (becuase it's been around for so long) is getting a tad predictable on the virus front.
I use IE9, Safari, and Firefox. (Google is banned from my PC). Sorry, out of all of them, IE9 works the best. You think IE is resource heavy, Safari is using almost twice the amount of resources to run this page as IE9 is using to run a CNET page that has two embedded Flash videos. The only issues I ever run into with IE is ads (but a simple hosts file edit fixes that).

I only use Firefox on websites that, for some stupid reason, feels it is a requirement to make people download Firefox in order to work. Here's a tip to web designers: want business? Then don't make a site that purposefully excludes over half of the browser user population.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Career Officer
# 42
07-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Firefox is also horrible to develop webpages for... Not only does it use a non-standart version of HTML (much like IE6 did), but it also randomly closes unclosed tags, meaning it's hard to catch if you made a build error.

Also, IE9 was recently deemed to be the fastest browser out there ATM...
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Republic Veteran
# 43
07-03-2012, 09:48 AM
I also want to add that IE10 is outstanding! On my Win8 system, I love it! I haven't bothered downloading another browser on it.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Lt. Commander
# 44
07-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post
I only use Firefox on websites that, for some stupid reason, feels it is a requirement to make people download Firefox in order to work. Here's a tip to web designers: want business? Then don't make a site that purposefully excludes over half of the browser user population.
There's a reason for that. Web developers pretty much follow this basic process when creating a website:

1) Develop pages based on current html/javascript/css standards that work with most major browsers.

2) Throw in a bunch of sloppy hacks to make everything also work in IE.

It might be different now, as I stepped away from web development to study flash and indie game development instead (much more interesting!), but when I was pursuing web development, that's how it worked.

Edit: To clarify, I don't think it's good practice to purposely exclude the IE base. I'm just stating why it happens from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Firefox is also horrible to develop webpages for... Not only does it use a non-standart version of HTML (much like IE6 did), but it also randomly closes unclosed tags, meaning it's hard to catch if you made a build error.
I've never had a problem with Firefox's supposed non-standard. As for leaving tags open on accident (assuming that's what you mean) try using something designed for writing xhtml/xml that will highlight matching tag pairs for you. Build errors due to open tags become a non-issue this way.

A lot of self-proclaimed web developers like to think they're "hardcore" by using caveman tools like notepad, but in the end, they're only going to take longer than they would've if they'd used something specifically designed for the job.

Quote:
Also, IE9 was recently deemed to be the fastest browser out there ATM...
In my opinion, it's not a matter of which browser is "the fastest" (unless your machine is really old, the speed difference between browsers is a non-issue) but rather, which one has the best addons and tools available. Right now, that's Firefox in my opinion--hands down.

Also, of all the browsers out there, which one has the most noble organization behind it?

Firefox: Mozilla (a non-profit organization dedicated to an open internet)
IE: Microsoft (probably the most tolerable of the for-profit corporates)
Chrome: Google (we are watching you. we are watching everything)
Safari: Apple (seriously...I don't need to say anything else here)

Most of my characters suck | I suck at Twitter, too!
Career Officer
# 45
07-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesica View Post
A lot of self-proclaimed web developers like to think they're "hardcore" by using caveman tools like notepad, but in the end, they're only going to take longer than they would've if they'd used something specifically designed for the job.
This one made me laugh...

1: Self-proclaimed: My papers say otherwise... So do my, what... 15 years of experience.

2: Notepad is for when you do webpages for fun... I use Netbeans in a ZendFramework, on a apache server running lenny...

You're so funny when you fail at bringing me down ^^

Edit: Also the common idea that FF is one of the best browsers is silly... They allow use of their own tags for CSS wich is something they themselves were criticizing MS for in IE6... They Knowingly break the W3 standards while claiming holiness for themselves... redicilous.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports

Last edited by anazonda; 07-03-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 46
07-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
You're so funny when you fail at bringing me down ^^
I wasn't referring to you specifically.

Most of my characters suck | I suck at Twitter, too!