Captain
# 11
07-09-2012, 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgorillapx View Post
Some are a bit of a tossup. Two you will definitely want are...

Space -
Effiicient Captain - This is the equivalent to having 2x efficient bridge officers.

Ground -
Telekinetic - This gives you a ground ability, to throw an enemy across the room using telekinesis. Great to get people away from you.
Idk about Efficient Captain, but my fed alt Pel'auro has Telekinetic... I can tell you this, it CAN work wonders in conjunction with a pulsewave or two, maybe a few other knockbacks I'm not aware of, assuming the pulse can proc and the enemy is close enough to a hazard (examples: Infected Ground plasma, Cage of Fire lava pits). Having KB3 on your pulsewave is also a good idea, as it can give a bit of extra punch to the proc from your Arcwave (secondary) Setting. This is ideal when running Infected Ground (even without Telekinesis, my other characters can easily throw hostiles into plasma with a good chain of attacks and a little luck) or Cage of Fire, where it is not as effective.

NOTE: Lunge is a must-have in those situations if you're a tactical, it's superior to the standard melee knockback.

Similarly, being able to heal will be a major bonus, so stocking up with hypos or the occasional Medic kit for scientists will be a good idea.

One more thing you should remember if you try this: Lunge and the melee knockbacks apply a cooldown before they can harm a target again, and I -think- it affects the other knockbacks I've mentioned here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.
And I don't pretend to understand them.
Rihannsu
# 12
07-09-2012, 07:41 AM
I like TK simply for the ability to temporarily stop an enemy from fighting.
Captain
# 13
07-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
I like TK simply for the ability to temporarily stop an enemy from fighting.
I kinda infrequently use it. But yeah, the knockback can provide a brief respite from combat, not to mention that TK will give you the upper hand in an otherwise equal duel simply by dealing a tiny bit more damage than needed.

To explain what I consider "equal duel" to be: Identical DPS, identical resistances, armor, and other stats. Everybody has the same procs, abilities, weapons, etc. and uses them so that they balance each other out - in other words, a luck-based 1v1 encounter. In this situation, TK will not only incapacitate the enemy for a second or two, but it will also deal the extra damage you need to win. Furthermore, it may even let you get a shot off before the enemy gets up on their feet, in a way boosting the damage dealt by TK itself.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.
And I don't pretend to understand them.
Lieutenant
# 14
07-10-2012, 04:12 PM
While my first couple of characters had mixed ground and space traits, now that I have a variety of toons my current formula is that each new toon I get will either have all space traits or all ground traits. I find ground to be more difficult than space so I have lately been building ground toons.

Accurate, Elusive, Efficient Captain, and Warp Theorist are all around good space traits.
I can see subbing in Astrophysicist for a science character.

There's a lot more variety for ground traits so it depends on how you want your character to work. But Soldier is all around good, as is Resilient. I also like Lucky although this is more useful if you plan on using expose attacks than otherwise. If you plan on using Threat Control then by all means Aggressive is useful.

A lot of the other ground powers are more specific. For example, Creative is good but only if you are using kit powers that either do damage or heal damage. Kit powers that provide buffs or debuffs are not affected by Creative. So for ground traits YMMV.

Peet Smi3th
Lieutenant
# 15
07-12-2012, 06:14 AM
Yeah TK is the best for ground STF's especially Infected where at the queen room I can clear a side by myself. I use anything that helps stop Borg from rooting me. Rooting is the main ability Borg have that causes problems in my two years of fighting them. I use TK,stubborn,and another I forgot but it helps stop the rooting. As far as dmg no don't need it I just go hide, buff up, and come out firing, blasting, and pummeling. I can outlast those dmgs guys by using street smarts.

Last edited by sweetboobsn; 07-12-2012 at 06:18 AM. Reason: grammer
Ensign
# 16
07-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Sort of an additional question after-the-fact: How do I view my alien character's build/stats/traits now (in-game)? I seem to remember assigning Telepathy, but can't recall all the specifics. What do I do to find a "Character Sheet"; there're small sections for the Doffs and Boffs, but not me. I seem to be missing something here... undoubtedly and icon or subsection of the U-interface.
Career Officer
# 17
07-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Your traits are listed in the little dropdown menu thingies on the same tab as your equipment fittings.
Rihannsu
# 18
07-26-2012, 02:52 PM
IIRC the traits I gave my Fed J'Pi are efficient captain, accurate, telekinesis and disciplined mind.