# 11
07-01-2012, 11:43 PM
is the ipad the best tablet on the market YES

is everything else apple produce over priced and a steaming pile of ****e YES

All hail the blue screen of death
Starfleet Veteran
# 12
07-01-2012, 11:48 PM
The only Apple product I own is an ipod Nano (I hate hate itunes - such a crappy piece of software).

I first used Macs when they were little cream shoe boxes in 1990? with the awkward square mouse. Can't stand the OS and lack of software. I'm much more comfortable with PC's. When I came time to buy a Tablet, I purchased a Android (Xoom) and stayed away from iPads. What Apple do very well is marketing.
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Rihannsu
# 13
07-02-2012, 03:48 AM
Every computer i have ever owned has had a problem or had a part fail, except my mac. so from my point of view its the other way round.

end of the day nothing is infallible. these are all complex bits of kit and one tiny problem or defect can cripple any computer at any time no matter the brand. it often just comes down to bad luck.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 14
07-02-2012, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkirkfan View Post
Ummmmmmm...... Yeah...... Did it hurt when you bumped your head?
You need to re-adjust your sarcasm meter... It's malfunctioning...

Seriously... you should have caught the obvious sarcasm in that.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Captain
# 15
07-02-2012, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
Every computer i have ever owned has had a problem or had a part fail, except my mac. so from my point of view its the other way round.

end of the day nothing is infallible. these are all complex bits of kit and one tiny problem or defect can cripple any computer at any time no matter the brand. it often just comes down to bad luck.
True that.

The ironic thing about my office computers from Dell and Compaq have a modest chance of hardware failure due to defective parts. Laptops with failed cooling systems, HDD deaths after one year, etc.

However I have a different experience with DIY or semi-DIY projects.

The PCs that run for 5-7 years without a hitch are the semi DIY PCs built from off-the-shelf parts by Chinese workers (they sell for much cheaper, and you get to handpick what you want). These PCs are operated in non-air conditioned, dusty environments (my home) have heavy modifications and often run 24/7 without maintenance for years.

The only thing that eventually fails on my home PCs are graphics cards as I usually o/c them to the limit of their stock cooling systems (or run with the case off), and that does affect the operating life of the card. Other parts usually last the life of the machine so long as it came with it.

The reliability of off the shelf redneck engineered PCs means that in my entire lifetime I think I've owned just three computers excluding tablets and netbooks.

Oh, speaking of tablets - I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab that after a mere one year of use started to have random battery failures. Apparently 1st - batch Tabs have poor quality Chinese batteries and this issue is resolved now but that kills my interest in the brand totally.

I mean, I have Chinese phones which cost just $50 retail, have a huge battery life, and despite their crude imitation software, are as rugged as an AK-47 during 'outfield' use with motorcycle clubs. They and my ancient Nokia phones can last just about forever and are well worth their purchase price.

That can't be said about the Galaxy Tab which cost upwards of $650 at first launch which is almost the price of an iPad... minus everything great about the iPad which is the huge battery and fast processor.
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel

Last edited by carmenara; 07-02-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Career Officer
# 16
07-02-2012, 03:59 AM
After reading the many chuckle of postings, I concur to the crapple products.

This is my POV on them..

Apple are very much like gates back in the day, they want everyone to use their products.

They are like kids in a sandpit but wont share or want to play with anyone else its all "MINE"

They can infringe on everyone else's patents and not pay them a penny but when anyone else uses theirs.. They throw paddies and sue them left right and centre, I dont see how that is fair?

I'm just glad the other manufacturers are fighting back and saying STFU apple sit back and let us sell our cool gizmo's

Im a pc & android user btw.. FTW
Captain
Captain
# 18
07-02-2012, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
I found a little nugget worth sharing:

http://img9.joyreactor.com/pics/post...pc-214699.jpeg
Back in 05 or so I think Fujitsu tablet PCs were prominently used by Jean-Luc Picard in ST: Nemesis and while I found the product placement entertaining in a 'next generation computing' way, I doubt anyone cared either.
STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
Captain
# 19
07-02-2012, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara View Post
Back in 05 or so I think Fujitsu tablet PCs were prominently used by Jean-Luc Picard in ST: Nemesis and while I found the product placement entertaining in a 'next generation computing' way, I doubt anyone cared either.
Well when you think about it, Tablets are a really old idea... The first time I ever saw the concept were the basic ones in TOS, then later the PADD's in TNG and various other series, then PDA's (while being smaller versions)...

EDIT: The WinXP variant was heavily used in Stargate Atlantis.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos

Last edited by anazonda; 07-02-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Career Officer
# 20
07-02-2012, 04:35 AM
I have to admit, I've never understood the big fuss over Apple kit.

Apologies to anyone who owns such kit, and I'll emphasise; this is only MY opinion... but I feel that they're more of a 'must have' , EXTREMELY overpriced, fashion accessory than anything else.

I borrowed a friend's Iphone 4 when he purchased the 4s. Okay, I realise that the 4 is inferior to the 4s, but it really didn't strike me as the overwhelming 'deity of the world of phones' that it's made out to be. I tried his 4s (though didn't borrow it) and aside being marginally faster, it didn't impress me either. So when the time came for me to buy a new phone I purchased the Samsung Galaxy SII, which I find far more functional - and it's (slightly) quicker than the Crapple Iphone 4s too.

I own a Ipod touch 4 too, and whilst a useful music storage tool it is, again, nothing that (in my opinion) sets the world on fire.

As I said, extremely overpriced fashion accessories. And being popular doesn't necessarily = best.