Commander
# 21
07-02-2012, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post
I know this is way off topic, but I figure a bunch of nerds would appreciate this. And I feel like ranting.

[rant]
I have been using computers since 1992 (that I can recall). Over the years they have included:
1 Packard Bell1 eMachines
3 Dell
8 HPs
1 Apple

It's that last one that I wish to discuss. I bought it for my wife four months ago. It was her birthday gift. She had been using the iPhone and iPad for so long she was too heavily entrenched into that ecosystem. So when her old PC got, well, old, I bought her a MBA in February of this year.

It died.

That's right, after four months, the thing stopped working. No drops. No spills. She was working on it one moment, and we get the folder with the "?" on it the next. I did all of the usual recovery steps and nothing worked. I took it to the Apple store and after ten minutes the "Genius" told me what I told him: the HDD was dead. On a four month old computer.

Never, have I lost a hard drive on any of my computers until yesterday. Never, in all of the drops, bumps, abuse, punching, and kicking had a single of my Windows machines lost a HDD. I was beyond ticked.

Look, I know this is the exception rather than the norm. But look at it from my POV. I have used PCs for two decades and have had over a dozen PCs in my home and it is the Mac that dies. Not only that, it dies in less time than it took for the battery in my XBOX controller to drain.

I have owned every consumer version of Windows since 3.0 (yes, including ME) and it is the Mac that gave us issues.

Sorry, Apple. Your track record is kind of poor at the moment.

*typed from an HP PC that has only been turned off twice in 18 months; and one of those was due to a week long power outage*
[/rant]
My apologies for the above highlighted (also about the Apple - nothing against 'em personally.. but never had a reason to own one either)
Captain
# 22
07-02-2012, 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara View Post
True that.

The ironic thing about my office computers from Dell and Compaq have a modest chance of hardware failure due to defective parts. Laptops with failed cooling systems, HDD deaths after one year, etc.
Best way to get more life is a laptop is to open it up and make sure the heatsink system is actually touching what it needs too -- sometimes brass shim material is needed.

That and a higher-end cooling pad.

Admittedly, some laptops just have poorly designed cooling and will cook themselves to death anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara View Post
The only thing that eventually fails on my home PCs are graphics cards as I usually o/c them to the limit of their stock cooling systems (or run with the case off), and that does affect the operating life of the card.
When getting a graphics card, I immediately replace the cooling with aftermarket unless it's one of the few that comes with something beefy. My current card came stock with a twin-fan spaghetti of heat pipes, so I stuck with it.

Between being picky about GPU cooling and throwing out the fans that come with the case in favor of some higher quality (if a bit noisier) ones has served me well.

Last edited by beezle23; 07-02-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-02-2012, 05:13 AM
Quote:
I know this is way off topic, but I figure a bunch of nerds would appreciate this. And I feel like ranting.

[rant]

Never, have I lost a hard drive on any of my computers until yesterday. Never, in all of the drops, bumps, abuse, punching, and kicking had a single of my Windows machines lost a HDD. I was beyond ticked.

[/rant]
Since 1992 you have only experrianced 1 hard drive failure? You need to play the lottery or gamble with luck like that. I've been a user since mid 80's, back to the Eagle IIs and IBM PCXT, and I couldn't count the number or drive failures i have suffered through since them. In the last 5 years, not counting external drives, my household (4 laptops, 3 pc's) have had 3 drive failures. 2 of which were in the first year, and under the pc mfg's warrenty, and the 3rd was within the 5 year drive mfg warrent. Drive failures happen, reguardless of mfg. and you Apple drive was probably manufactured in the same line that made the drive on my wifes Dell Netbook.
Quote:
99 bugs found in the code!
99 bugs found in the code!
Fix one bug!
Compile it again!
101 bugs found in the code!
Republic Veteran
# 24
07-02-2012, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blademasterronin View Post
Since 1992 you have only experrianced 1 hard drive failure? You need to play the lottery or gamble with luck like that. I've been a user since mid 80's, back to the Eagle IIs and IBM PCXT, and I couldn't count the number or drive failures i have suffered through since them. In the last 5 years, not counting external drives, my household (4 laptops, 3 pc's) have had 3 drive failures. 2 of which were in the first year, and under the pc mfg's warrenty, and the 3rd was within the 5 year drive mfg warrent. Drive failures happen, reguardless of mfg. and you Apple drive was probably manufactured in the same line that made the drive on my wifes Dell Netbook.
Want to know what's even better: the first HP my dad every bought is still running. It is serving as weather instrument data collector and publisher. It still has the original HDD that was in it in 1996*.

*= 16 years ago... so my memory may be a little fuzzy on the exact date of purchase

Edit: Let me add that the HDD was generally the second thing we replaced (after the RAM of course). It wasn't because anything was wrong with them, I frequently filled them up so I needed bigger drives. Still, none died within four months.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.

Last edited by commadorebob; 07-02-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Lieutenant
# 25
07-02-2012, 06:14 AM
Apple is a terrible company. They overprice their products, restrict everything, sue anything that moves in the tech world, and don't innovate anymore. I have 2 iPods, but that's it, and that's all from them I will ever buy from them anymore.
Career Officer
# 26
07-02-2012, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg2112 View Post
Apple is a terrible company. They overprice their products, restrict everything, sue anything that moves in the tech world, and don't innovate anymore. I have 2 iPods, but that's it, and that's all from them I will ever buy from them anymore.
Doesn't matter, so long as the fashion-accessory obsessed masses still buy whatever rubbish that they throw out, regardless of how VERY like it's predecessor it is.
Rihannsu
# 27
07-02-2012, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
I must admit that I like they STOLE code from... was it FreeBSD? And I must say that it's really freindly coming from a KDE enviroment on the Linux to Mac...
The time Jobs spent between his stints at Apple was the creation of NeXT and when he came back, based OSX off of OpenStep which came from NeXTSTEP, which did have some BSD code but was a mach kernel. I wouldn't exactly say they stole it, since Jobs was the person behind the whole thing.
Starfleet Veteran
I have had nothing but bad experiences with mac's. I think I would prefer to go with an alienware or a custom built computer. Macs suck and they are over-priced and they all look the same too >_< no pretty lights just plain "WHITE" they suck ass and anyone who uses them should be shot.
Brandon Lovett@Cpt.Lovett
Career Officer
# 29
07-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Quote:
You as an individual are not a statistically significant sample. Just say'n.

Here is an interesting read from google about their statistics on Hard Drive failures.

Failure Trends in a Large Disk Drive Population

I work in a large organization with approximately 2000 computers. I see approximately 1 in ten mechanical hard drives fail within 4 years (our replacement cycle). We run about 60/40 Windows/Mac platforms, with a smattering of Linux machines (that generally are the same HP boxes). There doesn't appear to be any significant data on my end that one fails more than the other. There is a slightly higher number of drive failures with Macintoshes but it's generally because a higher percentage of our Mac users have laptops which take more tumbles as a general rule. If there were more Windows users with laptops i would expect the failure rate from damage to rise as well.

Sometimes you'll see a batch of machines that have HD's from the same manufacturing batch have bulk issues. Over the course of a year I once had 35 drives die out of an order of 50. After the 5th or 6th RMA, HP just sent us a stack of drives to replace the oncoming failures with.

Once had a 4 drives out of an order of 10 MacBooks fail within 3 months. Again, likely a manufacturing defect in that batch of drives.

Arguably we are still not large enough to be a statistically significant sample with only 2000 production machines.

I understand your frustration with a dead drive but "In all my life I've never seen a drive die" is anecdotal evidence at best. If drive failures were as uncommon as you seem to believe there would not be entire industries centered around the recovery of data from dead drives. I see so much drive death I double back up all my personal data.

Anecdotally I've had one drive failure across drives that must number close to a hundred in all my days. But my sample size is so low, it can't be construed as evidence of any meaningful pattern.

I'm not trying to start an argument or pick sides, just the OCD in me having a bone to pick with faulty conclusions from insufficient data. One drive failure does not make Apple "Crapple", one drive failure doesn't make Microsoft "Microcrap".

Cheers.

*Edit*

I don't have any meaningful data on SSDs, we've only got a couple in use. I'm deploying a lab of 50 this fall so we'll see how that goes.

Last edited by macdude22; 07-02-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Captain
# 30
07-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude22 View Post
I don't have any meaningful data on SSDs, we've only got a
couple in use. I'm deploying a lab of 50 this fall so we'll see how that goes.
Now that they're over a lot of the "new tech problems," SSD's should be great in laptops -- much better tolerance for heat and vibration over a mechanical drive.