Ensign
# 1 Allow Cross-Faction fleets!
07-02-2012, 04:05 AM
With the current game feel, I think it would be good to allow cross-faction fleets. We already have KDF and FED working side by side in STF, hanging out together in the federation station DS9. However, those of us with KDF alts and great FED fleets are left out. I prefer playing my KDF yet when fleet bases come out, I'll be forced to play FED to participate with the ppl i enjoy flying with.
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
07-02-2012, 06:41 AM
we are at war not in an alliance!
Empire Veteran
# 3
07-02-2012, 09:13 AM
To be honest it's not a bad idea, doesn't mean missions and such can be done together but it might bring the two factions and adversity that cryptic has created down a little, might encourage more players to play the KDF too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Lieutenant
# 4
07-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Maybe if we ever get some more factions in the game. Have the Klingons and Feds team up against the Romulans and Iconianas.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
07-02-2012, 09:54 AM
^^ This ^^

{UFP} Diplomatic Corps Foreign Officer, Romulan Imperial Guard Officer
Ensign
# 6
07-02-2012, 10:55 AM
I won't say more factions wouldn't be nice, but it's not required for this. You don't even have to make the current missions coop as most ppl solo them anyways. Just the fleet missions. Not hard. No new code. Use the existing frameworks set to run STF. I just can't see this as being such an extream amount of work. Look at the profit potential of having players more closely working with the other side. Your faithful fed who has all the C-store ships for fed side might get to work more closely with a KDF player and this decide to make his own kdf and buy more ships and slots. Pure profit for no new content and minimal programming investment. If 200 people buy one new ship it would afford the effort.
Lieutenant
# 7
07-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytex View Post
I won't say more factions wouldn't be nice, but it's not required for this. You don't even have to make the current missions coop as most ppl solo them anyways. Just the fleet missions. Not hard. No new code. Use the existing frameworks set to run STF. I just can't see this as being such an extream amount of work. Look at the profit potential of having players more closely working with the other side. Your faithful fed who has all the C-store ships for fed side might get to work more closely with a KDF player and this decide to make his own kdf and buy more ships and slots. Pure profit for no new content and minimal programming investment. If 200 people buy one new ship it would afford the effort.
I didn't say it would be required, I was just tossing out an idea. I would want something that pushed the story further along though other than the Feds and Kling all of the sudden deciding to be BFF's again. And the threat of an Iconian/Romulan alliance or even the Iconians using the Roms as a pawn to gain power in the quadrant would be a fantastic story thread for the devs to use.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
07-02-2012, 12:41 PM
I can see the benefits of cross faction fleets, but won't it take away from the story? I kinda feel that STFs already take away from the war story.
Captain
# 9
07-02-2012, 02:24 PM
My Fleet has something like this in effect already. WE have a Fed fleet and a Klingon Fleet founded by the same three people. The hierarchy for both is separate from the Founders down, so being a Fed Officer does not mean you are automatically a Klingon officer as well.

We also have a private Fleet chat that both sides use exclusively. We never use our build in Fleet Chat except to orientate New Recruits into the system. Both sides sign into the Cross Fleet Chat, and both sides talk as normal. We have two loose communities of people banding together for a commom cause. Calls for Support goes to both sides, so both Klingon and Starfleet can team up for STFs or even missions.

The system isn't completely ironed out yet. Right now our Feds outnumber the Klingon about 7:1, So Recruiting is being bolstered for the Klingon half.

As for the story, We have established that both or our fleets are third party renegades attempting to forge peace and stability in the quadrant.

Last edited by kyeto13; 07-02-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Career Officer
# 10
07-02-2012, 02:38 PM
I'm firmly against the idea of a cross-faction fleet unless it only applies to a third 'undeclared' faction, a smuggler's consortium type arrangement.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*