Captain
# 1 Download Duty Officer signature
07-02-2012, 08:06 AM
See my signature? Want one of your own?

Well, working with amayakitsune over the past few days, I've created a Photoshop file containing everything from Ensign rank to Pure Admiral, 24 Duty officer trait icons, Common, uncommon, rare and very rare fonts and borders for the avatar...

How to make a proper character avatar:

1. Set your display settings to as high as possible.
  2. Take your character to ESD.
  3. The big "white wall" outside Admiral quinns office. Move your back to it, and zoom in relatively close (so you have a frame sufficiently above your characters chest).
  4. Press Prt Scr on your keyboard. The screenshot will now be saved in the Screenshots folder in the STO game folder. (Live).
  5. Open Photohsop, and then the picture.
  6. Doubble-click the layer in the layer box, and just press enter in the dialouge that appears. (To allow for transparency).
  7. Find the Channels-tab. It's usually in the same box as "Layers"
  8. Find the channel that has the highest contrast between light and dark colors, by clicking through the red, green and Blue channels. Usually it's the blue or green.
  9. Duplicate that channel, and click it, so it is selected.
  10. On your keyboard, hold Ctrl, and L. A box will now appear.
  11. There are 3 "indicators" and a level curve. Move the most left, and right closer together untill theres a really hard contrast between light and dark colors. It's gonna look odd... Ignore that.
  12. Once you feel you have the proper contrast (you may have to play around a little), press "OK".
  13. Select the magic wand tool (W). Set Tolerance 5 (depending on the contrast). Click on the area closest to your char that is white/bright. This should select a very large area.
  14. Now with the angular Marquee tool (M) set to "Add to Selection" (located as 4 icons just below the "Edit" menu option. Hoover your mouse over the 2'nd icon...) select all remaining areas that havn't been selected, and pretty much everything below the shoulders of your char.
  15. Select the Lasso Tool (L), and set it to "Substract from selection" (Located to the right of the "Add to selection").
  16. Zoom in close on the hair and carefully remove any selection inside the hair. (this takes time, patience and lots of Ctrl+Z).
  17. In the channels overview, re-select RGB, and click back to the normal layer overview.
  18. Once again zoom on on your char and move around the contours to see if you've missed any holes. If you find any, remove them.
  19. On your keyboard, Click DEL.
  20. You should now have a nicely cut out of your char, ready to use in my template.

Now I know this might look overwhelming, but it isn't. Just take it slow, and you should be fine.

It's an ongoing process and I fix issues as I find them, and add more stuff and icons as they are suggested (suggest it below, and perhaps link to the image you want added).

Thread closed due to updated one here. - Tobar26th
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos

Last edited by tobar26th; 09-09-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Captain
# 2
07-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
See my signature? Want one of your own?

Well, working with amayakitsune over the past few days, I've created a Photoshop file containing everything from Ensign rank to Pure Admiral, 24 Duty officer trait icons, Common, uncommon, rare and very rare fonts and borders for the avatar...

Pretty much everything the heard desires.

It's an ongoing process and I fix issues as I find them, and add more stuff and icons as they are suggested (suggest it below, and perhaps link to the image you want added).

HOWEVER... I need a proper file hosting service to upload for sharing... Got any suggestions for a free service?
free accout at imgur

I've had too many problems with Photobucket to ever use them again.
# 3
07-02-2012, 08:23 AM
From your description it sounds like you want to share the .psd file right? I doubt any of the image sharing places support that since it's not viewable in a web browser. Maybe something like http://www.rapidshare.com/ or http://www.mediafire.com/ ?
Captain
# 4
07-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
From your description it sounds like you want to share the .psd file right? I doubt any of the image sharing places support that since it's not viewable in a web browser. Maybe something like http://www.rapidshare.com/ or http://www.mediafire.com/ ?
Oh right.

What about putting it in a zip file then sharing it via Dropbox?
# 5
07-02-2012, 08:33 AM
www.box.com is what I use. It's how I share the Bonniekin ringtone.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Captain
# 6
07-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post

Exactly... Well... A zip filled with all the files used in the process for thoose who want to develop it on their own and then the PSD next to it.

Thanks for responses so far... I will be testing them in a few mins
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Career Officer
# 7
07-02-2012, 10:24 AM
http://www.deviantart.com

I had never realized before, but they actually allow you to set up zip files for download. I don't know all the details, but I'll definitely be looking into it for distributing sig templates in the future.

http://help.deviantart.com/816/
Username: PodSix
Fleet: None

Last edited by podsix; 07-02-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-02-2012, 10:56 AM
You can host files like that on newgrounds, too. "Dumping grounds" is the section name, although it's only 512mb.

Most of my characters suck | I suck at Twitter, too!
Captain
# 9
07-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Empire Veteran
# 10
07-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Just downloaded it and I am now playing around with it thanks. I noticed on your Deviant Art page:

"Requires: Photoshop CS4 or better (might be supported by older systems and Gimp. No promises though)."

Just to let you know, I am runing Gimp 2.6.11 and it works fine for me.

Also, where did you get the factionial potrait backgrounds from, I would like to get my hands on some KDF ones to add to my layers?

Edit, I may as well try google and wiki to see if I can find what I need but any help would still be appreciated.

Edit 2, I found what I was looking for on wiki, I never knew the actuall doff potraits there were layered too until I right clicked and viewed image info.
Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.
Warning, this poster tends to talk nonsensically when caffine levels fall below 80%.

Last edited by defalus; 07-02-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Closed Thread