Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 46
# 11
07-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3gr4ndnagu5 View Post
I have never seen *any* distinction made between the TOS and TMP in any Dev post or interview saying that CBS will now allow a T5 connie. If you have a link to a specific statement that makes that distinction, please share. However, as I have followed the dev posts and interviews pretty closely, IMO what you just said is a complete urban legend that someone made up.
The distinction is that CBS produced, aired, and have exclusive rights to the TOS material, TNG material, Voyager material, DS9 material, and Enterprise material.

Viacom/Paramount on the other hand Produced, filmed, released to theaters and hold all rights to any Trek Movie material.

The Viacom/Paramount Trek Movie License is a joint license between them and CBS with Viacom holding the deciding portion due to production of the movies while CBS was a partner company. In 2005, Paramount/Viacom and CBS split ways.. CBS retained all rights to the TV episodes and materials, but also recieved a Shared license with Paramount for the Trek Movie Material with Paramount holding the proprietary portion of those rights.

This is why CBS was able to use TMP hull designs in the TV series, however it does not give CBS the ability to refuse TMP material from being "Escalated" to higher tiers, as example, the Excelsior Class is being escalated, it is a Viacom/Paramount hull design, not CBS.

The Devs are not making a distinction between TOS and TMP "Connies" because they just state "Connie" as an all inclusive statement for 2 different hull designs from 2 different companies and can get by stating that CBS refuses that the "Connie" be raised into a higher tier without having to make the actual distinction between hull designs, it is a Dev decision, just as it is the Dev's decision not to escalate the Viacom/Paramount "Miranda" hull design.
_______________________________________________

STO Forum Account Creation Date: June 9, 2008 (Perpetual Entertainment at the time)


Pestalence_XC
Proud member of Xenocorp

"Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead." - Kyle Reese, 'Terminator'
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 149
# 12
07-04-2012, 08:26 AM
It would have been easier for cryptic/PWE to say we are not putting ENT/TOS/TMP Ships at Tier 5. That they are just going to use TNG and 2409 skins as T5. Allowing for ships like the Exeter to be used at endgame
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 378
# 13
07-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pestalencexc View Post
The distinction is that CBS produced, aired, and have exclusive rights to the TOS material, TNG material, Voyager material, DS9 material, and Enterprise material.
Believe me, I understand the IP division between CBS and Paramount. I've explained this to other people before. However what you are missing is that when STO started development(in 2004), CBS owned both the TV series *and* the movies. That being the case, STO's legal deal is with CBS only, and has nothing to do with Paramount. And because of that, it is CBS only who gets to approve or deny ship tiers in this game. That includes both TOS and TMP connies as well as every other ship.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 330
# 14
07-04-2012, 08:35 AM
I could so live with an exeter.... oh how i have even just about given up
The Account formally known as Rayvenwing
Actual Join Date : Feb 2010

Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 15
07-04-2012, 08:40 AM
A serious question this time... Why do you all think you need a T5 one? PVE is so easy in this game that you can play with whatever ship you like, it's just a matter of patience. Just don't take that ship to elite STFs. I've done infected space normal in a Miranda several times, and I even get this ship out of the hangar for some random available story mission. It works well. You can also team up with some people willing to play pvp with that only. So, why?
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 378
# 16
07-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
A serious question this time... Why do you all think you need a T5 one? PVE is so easy in this game that you can play with whatever ship you like, it's just a matter of patience. Just don't take that ship to elite STFs. I've done infected space normal in a Miranda several times, and I even get this ship out of the hangar for some random available story mission. It works well. You can also team up with some people willing to play pvp with that only. So, why?
The same question could be asked of all the other T2 ships that they are adding T5 versions of to the fleet store. The fact is, none of them are *needed*, but people simply *want* them.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 17
07-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3gr4ndnagu5 View Post
The same question could be asked of all the other T2 ships that they are adding T5 versions of to the fleet store. The fact is, none of them are *needed*, but people simply *want* them.
The game needs some diversity, that's a fact. Different ships mean different builds and different opponents, but you're only asking for a skin. This ship already exists, and you can use it in 95% of the missions. I really don't see the point of all this, that's illogical.

BTW you should better ask for a holo emitter with severe restrictions on it (specific missions, maybe some new dailies), it could work better than asking for the same thing again and again.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 330
# 18
07-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Your opinion not mine. I want my ship. not a holoemitter that makes ship "x" look like ship "y" cause then i know im really flying ship "y" and i dont want to fly ship "y".
The Account formally known as Rayvenwing
Actual Join Date : Feb 2010

Banned
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 378
# 19
07-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
The game needs some diversity, that's a fact. Different ships mean different builds and different opponents, but you're only asking for a skin. This ship already exists, and you can use it in 95% of the missions. I really don't see the point of all this, that's illogical.
Incorrect. The T5 versions of the T2 ships that will be in the fleet store will have actual T5 stats, not simply look like the T2 versions.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 20
07-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3gr4ndnagu5 View Post
Incorrect. The T5 versions of the T2 ships that will be in the fleet store will have actual T5 stats, not simply look like the T2 versions.
Sure, that's not what i meant. I just said you could already play 95% of the game with the T2 constitution, you just need to be willing to do it. This is why I'm really wondering about your goals...
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:09 AM.