Captain
# 1 Do you believe in a past life?
06-25-2014, 10:50 AM
It's a topic that's been around for a very long time, and some cultures believe in it deeply.

I even had a few dreams that showed me events I can't explain even today. Only thing I will say is, it was like I was living the moment.

Have a look at this story, and tell us. Do you believe?

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/6810...ation-of-body/
Career Officer
# 2
06-25-2014, 10:57 AM
i have had momentary fragments of future events when i was younger, never anything more then that, but when the day came i suddenly became overwhelmed with that moment in time. hard to fully explain it, it only happened when i was a sleep and when it happened i recognise its going on for that moment.

a past life? perhaps, a future life, maybe. is this a fixed path we all travel and no matter how much you tell yourself "i can do anything i like", what if that was exactly as your life was meant to happen? for that matter does this life even exist, is it a massive second life with full sensory construct, the entire works?

this idea and issue we dont have the intelligence to figure out and never will, we cant fight our way out of this soggy wet paper bag even with a sharp knife.
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Rihannsu
# 3
06-25-2014, 11:06 AM
No. I don't really take stories on the Internet as being great proof or I would believe in Bigfoot and aliens. People lie, make stuff up, confuse coincidences with something mystical etc. usually the simplest answer is the best. I have no way to verify any of this happened and that story smacks of someone trying to make some money.

I can not see how one persons memories and in this case birthmarks would be transferable to another person from the point of death into their life. I do to buy that 'souls' or whatever are being transferred around at exactly the right time and that intangible force is imprinting some type of data into another's brain.

Perhaps there is some way that memories can transfer down through genetics, but then you wold only remember your families previous lives and even that seems a long shot.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 4
06-25-2014, 11:17 AM
No, I don't believe in past lives. I can believe in things that I can't hear, see, or touch but someone else can...power of perspective. But a soul is so much of an impossibility that reincarnation just can't be real.

It could have been staged, maybe there's some force that "tells" these people about about the past. I don't know, there is an explanation. Be it fraud or something we don't understand...yet.

How did the kid know where the axe was? He couldn't of watched the murderer bury it if he's already dead. I'm calling it now, ghostly impression possession....yep
Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
Captain
# 5
06-25-2014, 11:24 AM
Dalai Lama...

Captain
# 6
06-25-2014, 11:27 AM
I don't believe stories people tell in the media. I'm a scientist, I can't afford that

But I believe in reincarnation in some way. It's not a part of my daily live mind you, but I like the thought and can see it "work" in certain ways. When my time comes and I cross the final frontier I'll find out, I guess
"I am First Omet'iklan, and I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar."
- "I am Chief Miles Edward O'Brien. I am very much alive, and I intend to stay that way." - "Amen! Let's get it done!" -Omet'iklan, Miles O'Brien, Benjamin Sisko
Captain
# 7
06-25-2014, 11:33 AM
Not at all. My past life as Betrand Russell tells me that it is just superstitious nonsense due to their being no proof.
Career Officer
# 8
06-25-2014, 11:41 AM
I think most of those stories are made up by people who desperately try to make their lifes more meaningful and to get attention. I mean how many people could have actually been Napoleon ?

As for the point of genetic memory, I mean oddly enough instincts aren't taught, animals usually behave in a certain way without being trained. I could get behind the idea of evolution trying to be more efficient, there is already so much knowledge out there, no human being could ever reasonably learn even a tiny fraction of it all.

And when you do think about how family trees are a hot mess of illegimate children etc., after a few generations it stands to reason that someone isn't even related genetically to his so called ancestors, which could explain flashbacks to people who seem to be unrelated.
Captain
# 9
06-25-2014, 11:43 AM
No. I'm a scientist, I always require proof, without it I'll reject it out of hand.
Delta Rising is the best ex... oh sod it, I just want my Jupiter and Typhoon

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.
JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it!
Unofficial Bortasq' Uniform colour guide here.
Commander
# 10
06-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahminus View Post
...But a soul is so much of an impossibility that reincarnation just can't be real.
What's impossible about it? Care to explain? Remember, lack of an explanation of how something works isn't the same thing as having a reason why it *couldn't* work. (Until very recently, we had no reasonable hypothesis of how gravity worked). Not saying you have no such reason, of course - if you think you have I'd be interested to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahminus View Post
How did the kid know where the axe was? He couldn't of watched the murderer bury it if he's already dead. I'm calling it now, ghostly impression possession....yep
Fair point. It would have to be some form of the effect reported with near-death experiences, the thing where in a few rare cases the person not only reports "floating out of their body" after the heart stops, but actually describes what they saw from there. (Sadly nobody's been able to test this systematically yet, though some have tried - the trouble is, people being "clinically dead" and recovering is still a rarity and of those even fewer have an NDE).