Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 41
# 1 No July 4th event?
07-04-2012, 03:08 PM
I know the immediate response to this post and before you speak, allow me to do it for you.

"Typical American post! Because you assume everything in Starfleet is based off of American ideals, but it's not."

Got some news for you, it is. The Federation is based about 75% off of the society of the United States. Yes I know, it's a little more socialistic, but that was part of Roddenberry's dream was that with everyone having basic needs provided, what use was there for monetary gain? Since there is a galaxy to explore, who cares about money? Well I agree with this line of thought and I do think it's possible, but the ideals of freedom are very much an American ideal which is why I feel it would be appropriate for the STO community to celebrate the 4th of July. The Federation is about promoting peace and freedom throughout the galaxy. There is no slavery, there is no oppression and everyone is free to do what they want. Become an artist, a teacher, a poet, an engineer a Star Ship Captain, what ever you want to become stems from the ideals of a free society such a free society was founded on July 4th 1776. You may be thinking that the Federation isn't America in the future, but isn't it? Through America's history, we started promoting cultural diversity in ways most other countries never cared to do so. America thrives on different ethnic cultures and the exchange of ideas, principles that are key to the Federation's existence.

So all in all, I really hope that next year there is some sort of July 4th event be it a sale or a special mission or maybe even a fireworks show at Starfleet Academy. It is important to the Federation to remember history, and history says or will say that in Bozeman Montana, at a Nuclear Silo, the first warp ship is launched and that is why First Contact happens. No America, no Montana, no warp ship, no first contact, no Federation.

P.S.
If you're all angry about people complaining about language barriers, I got some interesting facts for you. First of all, the international language for air traffic is English and it's not optional. Yes even a German pilot leaving a German airport has to communicate to the control tower in English. And the Federation's language is also English.
Captain_Conrad
Join Date: October 2009
STO Start Date: March 2010
June 2012, assimilated into the PWE collective. Resistance is futile.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,007
# 2
07-04-2012, 03:13 PM
You wrote all that just to be told about the ongoing ship sale for 20% off?
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 702
# 3
07-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewendell View Post
You wrote all that just to be told about the ongoing ship sale for 20% off?
The ship sale has been over for a few days now...
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,007
# 4
07-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amayakitsune View Post
The ship sale has been over for a few days now...
Oh sorry. I thought it was tied with that.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=576761

Yup, July 2nd.

edit: Although from the comments, other folks thought it was tied in as well to the holiday.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 41
# 5 Then maybe that's what it is...
07-04-2012, 03:52 PM
I suppose it could be, but I think it would be cool if they came up with a "Freedom Day" event to acknowledge it and other freedom celebrations. Just have it on July 4th since the servers are in America. lol
Captain_Conrad
Join Date: October 2009
STO Start Date: March 2010
June 2012, assimilated into the PWE collective. Resistance is futile.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,422
# 6
07-04-2012, 04:14 PM
I've said it before and I will say it again.

Tying in-game events specifically to any real world Holiday is a mistake. Sure a July 4th Event would be neat. Not everyone is American. Yes and Easter or Christmas event would be neat. Not everyone is Christian.

It comes down to, it is better to have a "winter" event or Spring "event". Tying an In Game event to any holiday based around any religious or national identity is a terrible idea.

If we get a July 4th event , we'd better get a Cinco De Mayo event, What about Chinese New year ? or any of the many other national Holidays celebrated by the other nations in which STO is played ??

Sure, you may love July 4th. It represents YOUR national identity.
Bully for you. I'm American too. Big Whoop.
I don't need an In Game celebration of my nations independence that would mean nothing to my fellow players from France, England, China, the Phillipines, Canada and many other places where today ... today is just the fourth day of July. A Wednesday.

Yay Wednesday.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 305
# 7
07-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainconrad View Post
I know the immediate response to this post and before you speak, allow me to do it for you.

"Typical American post! Because you assume everything in Starfleet is based off of American ideals, but it's not."

Got some news for you, it is. The Federation is based about 75% off of the society of the United States. Yes I know, it's a little more socialistic, but that was part of Roddenberry's dream was that with everyone having basic needs provided, what use was there for monetary gain? Since there is a galaxy to explore, who cares about money? Well I agree with this line of thought and I do think it's possible, but the ideals of freedom are very much an American ideal which is why I feel it would be appropriate for the STO community to celebrate the 4th of July. The Federation is about promoting peace and freedom throughout the galaxy. There is no slavery, there is no oppression and everyone is free to do what they want. Become an artist, a teacher, a poet, an engineer a Star Ship Captain, what ever you want to become stems from the ideals of a free society such a free society was founded on July 4th 1776. You may be thinking that the Federation isn't America in the future, but isn't it? Through America's history, we started promoting cultural diversity in ways most other countries never cared to do so. America thrives on different ethnic cultures and the exchange of ideas, principles that are key to the Federation's existence.

So all in all, I really hope that next year there is some sort of July 4th event be it a sale or a special mission or maybe even a fireworks show at Starfleet Academy. It is important to the Federation to remember history, and history says or will say that in Bozeman Montana, at a Nuclear Silo, the first warp ship is launched and that is why First Contact happens. No America, no Montana, no warp ship, no first contact, no Federation.

P.S.
If you're all angry about people complaining about language barriers, I got some interesting facts for you. First of all, the international language for air traffic is English and it's not optional. Yes even a German pilot leaving a German airport has to communicate to the control tower in English. And the Federation's language is also English.

First:
The UFP is composed of MANY worlds and I doubt most of them care about an old, out of date Terran holiday.

Second:
Given that Earth in Star Trek is an united planet with a single government, it makes little sense for them to celebrate a holiday like the 4th of July.

Third:
STO also has a KDF faction so events in the game usually have to include them in SOME form.

Fourth:
We usually do have a sale on holidays or close to them. This year we JUST had a ship sale that ended 2 days ago.

Fifth:
The USA doesn't hold a patent on the ideal of freedom. Last time I checked the USA is full of social oppression and inequities.

Sixth:
It could EASILY be argued that the Federation is modeled after the French since the UFP capitol is in France.

Last edited by wilv; 07-04-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,422
# 8
07-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Personally I think next year we should get a captain Picard day celebration In Game.


http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Captain_Picard_Day
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 110
# 9
07-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilv View Post
It could EASILY be argued that the Federation is modeled after the French since the UFP capitol is in France.
I dunno about that, the Federations Government seems to be stable

First Contact Day= Independence Day in Trek, we celebrated it a while ago. We don't celebrate Andorian's Skii around their entire planet day or Vulcans achieve logic day (I think) or Canadian Thanksgiving, so I see no real reason to start celebrating the 4th as part of in-game event. Happy 4th though.

Quote:

Personally I think next year we should get a captain Picard day celebration In Game.


http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Captain_Picard_Day
Yes!
"The universe is a beautiful place, full of wonders. And it wants to kill you."

Joint Date: June 1908
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 772
# 10
07-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainconrad View Post
P.S.
If you're all angry about people complaining about language barriers, I got some interesting facts for you. First of all, the international language for air traffic is English and it's not optional. Yes even a German pilot leaving a German airport has to communicate to the control tower in English. And the Federation's language is also English.
The Federation uses Universal Translators. It only sounds English to you. For all you know, Picard was actually speaking French the whole time. In fact, since the invention and wide spread use of the universal translators, I doubt many people would bother to learn English if it's not their native tongue to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewendell View Post
Oh sorry. I thought it was tied with that.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=576761

Yup, July 2nd.

edit: Although from the comments, other folks thought it was tied in as well to the holiday.
It was tied to the holiday. I celebrated Canada Day by buying an Atrox.
Ainu - Join Date: Aug 2008
Foundry Missions: 1) The Source of Power (ST-HSWUBD5TQ) [Federation] 16+
-----=====*****<[ Fleet Recruitment Thread ]>*****=====-----
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:43 PM.