Lt. Commander
# 1 Starbase Economy = Hot Mess
07-05-2012, 08:18 AM
With the patch July 3, 2012, it is fairly obvious the Starbase economy on Tribble is very broken. There are clearly several options to correct the problem, but lets focus on the problem first.

There is an enormous disconnect after 3 weeks of Starbases on Tribble between currency and product, and the 20x bridge officer/fleet credit bug has nothing to do with it. As things are today, fleet members can earn large sums of fleet credits through the two hour missions, but the limited number of operational assets that are earned through the 20 hour fleet projects allocate nowhere near enough operational assets necessary to support a fleet of larger size with members actively accumulating fleet credits.

The complete disconnect between fleet credits (currency) and operational assets (product purchased with currency) makes for a completely broken economic model for Starbases, and the problem is only exasperatedfor larger fleets who have more members constantly completing the special project.

Until the number of operational assets earned is linked in some way to the amount of fleet credits earned, the economic model of Starbases will be severely flawed, and will severely punish larger/more active fleets that require relative balance between operational assets and fleet credits to insure rewards for participation in Starbases are available to those who are earning the fleet credits necessary to purchase the rewards.

By understanding the problem, I think it is easy to come up with several solutions, but whatever the final solution is - there needs to be a legitimate economic relationship between currency and product to insure supply and demand. As things are right now, the economy of Starbases is completely screwed up.
Rihannsu
# 2
07-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Is there a place where one can find, in one place, an explanation of just how provisioning and fleet stores and such actually work? I am sure this will all make sense to me before long and as my tribble test fleet levels up, but until then...it would help folks like me understand all of this better.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-05-2012, 10:10 AM
I am a member of Jupiter Force. Our Starbase should complete the 4d Tier II upgrade by Saturday.

With the patch suddenly many of our operational assets became available from the stores down in the shop on the OPs level. This included access to all the MK XII Ultra Rare gear for ground and space that was unlocked. Now our leaderboard is messed up like everyone else's due to the Bridge Officer bug, so our main group of European players who try to keep the resources for our primary 3 active projects and 1 primary special project (the big one, not the small one) have millions and millions of fleet credits.

However as anyone on Tribble is likely aware, Jupiter Force has been very active 24/7 keeping the smaller special mission going nearly constantly. The result is a secondary group of dozens of members who, without the bridge officer bug, has accumulated a large amount of fleet credits.

But even though we have consistently kept our primary missions up, there is nowhere near enough operational assets earned by the primary projects to meet the demand of members with enough fleet credits to buy gear. For example, even with nearly constant project mission focus there were only enough operational assets to buy enough space equipment for less than 4 Tier V starships (20 operational assets).

I have enough fleet credits without the BO bug to buy ship gear on two starships myself. Now compound that problem to 2-3 dozen people, and there is clearly a broken economy. Why does the system offer a special mission by which to flood a fleet with fleet credits if the system has such an enormous restriction on the operational assets that can be purchased?

The economy is broken. Fleet credits earned by a fleet must be linked in some way to the operational assets of the Starbase by which fleet credits can be spent.
Captain
# 4
07-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echodarksided View Post
I am a member of Jupiter Force. Our Starbase should complete the 4d Tier II upgrade by Saturday.

With the patch suddenly many of our operational assets became available from the stores down in the shop on the OPs level. This included access to all the MK XII Ultra Rare gear for ground and space that was unlocked. Now our leaderboard is messed up like everyone else's due to the Bridge Officer bug, so our main group of European players who try to keep the resources for our primary 3 active projects and 1 primary special project (the big one, not the small one) have millions and millions of fleet credits.

However as anyone on Tribble is likely aware, Jupiter Force has been very active 24/7 keeping the smaller special mission going nearly constantly. The result is a secondary group of dozens of members who, without the bridge officer bug, has accumulated a large amount of fleet credits.

But even though we have consistently kept our primary missions up, there is nowhere near enough operational assets earned by the primary projects to meet the demand of members with enough fleet credits to buy gear. For example, even with nearly constant project mission focus there were only enough operational assets to buy enough space equipment for less than 4 Tier V starships (20 operational assets).

I have enough fleet credits without the BO bug to buy ship gear on two starships myself. Now compound that problem to 2-3 dozen people, and there is clearly a broken economy. Why does the system offer a special mission by which to flood a fleet with fleet credits if the system has such an enormous restriction on the operational assets that can be purchased?

The economy is broken. Fleet credits earned by a fleet must be linked in some way to the operational assets of the Starbase by which fleet credits can be spent.
This is the fundamental problem that I have been worried about and belly-ached about in previous posts, on the off chance anyone has actually paid any attention to them.

From what I can gather, the official response is that this is to be resolved through "fleet politics," end of story. As one can imagine, that is a catastrophe in the making in many fleets no matter how much the fleet leader is trusted.

Devs, I really hope you're listening to this. Starbases could be really awesome, but this problem and those related to it could derail it wholesale.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
07-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Answer is simple (and military)
The hardware goes to the front line troops

the higher ranks Stand aside for those who actually do your fighting

Easy

(remember a RANKING Admiral doesn't leave his desk)
Career Officer
# 6
07-05-2012, 01:24 PM
So basically, simply as a result of how the system is designed, there will be too much money and not enough to spend it on.

Assuming that's true, that sounds like kind of a poor design that promotes Fleet drama.
Commander
# 7
07-05-2012, 03:51 PM
its first come first serve its as simple as that, if i was lucky this time and bought the ship i wanted then next time i wont and it will go to some one else, remember the project that award these ships are repeatable. it sound like we got a lot of people worried they wont get thier shinies right when they want them or some one else might get it a few days before them

thier greed is eating them up already and it isnt even out yet.............

Survivor of Romulus
# 8
07-05-2012, 03:55 PM
The Golden advantages of the small (Alt) Fleet

All I have to provide is a small supply of Galaxy varients (I do so love the Galaxy)

And for the Klingons a small supply of correct vessels there also

Anything after that will be available to friends or the generally fleetless (yes thats a completely open offer anything spare will be available to anyone who needs it)

Of course I estimate it will take a year to get both bases to that level
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Sollvox,

That would be hard to believe, because if true that means larger fleets would be stupid to play by Cryptics model, and instead should simply create multiple Starbases with dedicated purposes instead. It's simple enough to move characters around fleets and leverage multiple specialty Starbases rather than conform to Crypics one-size-fits all fleets system. This is particularly true since fleets are earning 20-30x more fleet credits than they can spend - further suggesting all fleets should simply be creating multiple Starbases and completely ignore dumping resources into the special 2h projects.