Captain
# 1 Lockboxes are back
07-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Epic Fail on Cryptic's part. Now region banned players will probably stay region banned, thanks to this bad decision.
Ensign
# 2
07-05-2012, 11:22 AM
I didn't realise they'd gone away? Damn, I was hoping to come back and play, too

Oh well, no money for you, CrapWorlds.
Career Officer
# 3
07-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Um, lockboxes never went away in the first place.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
# 4
07-05-2012, 11:24 AM
for the last 2 weeks, I had never seen a single lockbox, as well as my fleet mates. I had assumed they were gone.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
07-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Run an STF? Checked the STF store (I think they're on the dilithium store, too, for that matter)? The drop rate in general missions does seem to be down, but 10 minutes to queue for Infected space normal will confirm that they definitely never stopped dropping.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
07-05-2012, 11:31 AM
they seemed to have had stopped dropping since the last patch for myself and my fleet, (I guess they are back with this patch?)

Mystery boxes keep dropping, but none from kills.
Career Officer
# 7
07-05-2012, 11:36 AM
they have had a reduced drop rate be they never left
Ketan Merious
Captain, U.S.S Transcendent
Explorers Fleet, Senior Member
We want an Odyssey variant give us it
Rihannsu
# 8
07-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Lock boxes had always remained in stf's over the last few weeks and on the exchange.

they have also said there will be lock boxes in the future, although they will be slightly different.

and what region banned people? ive not heard of anyone being banned. there was a law passed in south korea i think it was but that was to do with a very different issue or trading for real world money.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
07-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
Lock boxes had always remained in stf's over the last few weeks and on the exchange.

they have also said there will be lock boxes in the future, although they will be slightly different.

and what region banned people? ive not heard of anyone being banned. there was a law passed in south korea i think it was but that was to do with a very different issue or trading for real world money.
There are regions that are blocked from playing PWE games, but I think it's regions where PWE has a third party carrier providing some of their games, nothing to do with local laws.

Semi-relevant: There was also a decision in Japan that could affect lock boxes. The decision was made under very narrow circumstances, specifically when a user must win a specific set of individually valueless items from a series of random blind purchases in order to receive the actual intended prize. It shouldn't apply to single prize blind purchases, or ones where the prize included or was a random amount of some exchange medium (like Lobi), but if it were applied broadly enforcers could decide it does. No company would willingly withdraw from the market until they actually did that, considering that most of the companies directly violating the very narrow ban are still able to do so on technicalities.

Last edited by hevach; 07-05-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 10
07-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
There are regions that are blocked from playing PWE games, but I think it's regions where PWE has a third party carrier providing some of their games, nothing to do with local laws.

Semi-relevant: There was also a decision in Japan that could affect lock boxes. The decision was made under very narrow circumstances, specifically when a user must win a specific set of individually valueless items from a series of random blind purchases in order to receive the actual intended prize. It shouldn't apply to single prize blind purchases, or ones where the prize included or was a random amount of some exchange medium (like Lobi), but if it were applied broadly enforcers could decide it does. No company would willingly withdraw from the market until they actually did that, considering that most of the companies directly violating the very narrow ban are still able to do so on technicalities.
I think tying the lockboxes to the DOff boxes may get around that. It becomes less "buy a lottery ticket" and more "buy a coke and look under the cap". The latter still serves a purpose even if you lose.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.