# 11
07-05-2012, 12:41 PM
They never left. What's your point?
Empire Veteran
# 12
07-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post
I think tying the lockboxes to the DOff boxes may get around that. It becomes less "buy a lottery ticket" and more "buy a coke and look under the cap". The latter still serves a purpose even if you lose.
Very well said and I believe is 100% what Cryptic and PWE are going for.
Career Officer
# 13
07-05-2012, 12:54 PM
They also have absolutely nothing to do with the general region ban PWE will cause.

Regarding that, while Cryptic support was useless with regards to questions of what would happen to current account holders who are in a banned region, PWE support informed them that all accounts in good standing will be whitelisted. So that's nice.
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
07-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Quote:
I think tying the lockboxes to the DOff boxes may get around that. It becomes less "buy a lottery ticket" and more "buy a coke and look under the cap". The latter still serves a purpose even if you lose.
They get around something that the lockboxes weren't violating either. The gacha rule doesn't apply to any blind purchase that directly gives a prize, even if the average prize value is much lower than the purchase. It applies to a type of lockbox that was big with social games from a particular developer (basically Japan's Zynga), where the lockboxes didn't give the actual items, but a valueless collectible, with prizes given to completing collections. To put that in STO terms, it would be as if instead of giving the Jem'hadar ship, the lockboxes gave port and starboard nacelles, a warp core, crew quarters, a hull, and a bridge, and you had to open them until you got all six parts then trade the parts in for the actual ship.

Of course, you don't really need to think about it that much. If the Winter/Cardassian/Ferengi box did violate the law, they're still in the game and the keys are still for sale, meaning they haven't actually gotten around the law.

Last edited by hevach; 07-05-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Career Officer
# 15
07-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burstdragon323 View Post
for the last 2 weeks, I had never seen a single lockbox, as well as my fleet mates. I had assumed they were gone.
I've been running STF's x 8 missions a day for the last month without missing a day.. I assure you, I recieved at least 1 lock box per mission, sometimes 2 just from mission completion.

Also they are repeatable mission reward choosable as well.

And I have seen a number of them drop on ground missions and in space missions.. However I do have to admit, the frequency of them spawning as a random MoB drop has decreased.

STO Forum Account Creation Date: June 9, 2008 (Perpetual Entertainment at the time)

Pestalence_XC
Proud member of Xenocorp

"Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead." - Kyle Reese, 'Terminator'
Career Officer
# 16
07-05-2012, 03:37 PM
I noticed they had stopped dropping as well. I assumed it was because I dropped from advanced difficulty to normal.
Career Officer
# 17
07-05-2012, 05:19 PM
you are clearly wrong...

there was nothing in the Patchnotes today about Lockboxes,
if Cryptic would change something with the Lockboxes they would tell us in the Patchnotes! right? RIGHT?!

so they aren't be back!

NO THEY AREN'T BE BACK !!!

NOOOooooooooOOOOoooooOOOooo....
Captain
# 18
07-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Quote:
This is a far superior method. But yeah, the drop rate is less but I still get them.
# 19
07-06-2012, 07:58 AM
I thought they'd disappeared too as I noticed a few days ago that I hadnt seen one in quite a while (since last patch). Last night 2 dropped, one after the other, so I'd guess they just lowered the drop rate.

I have to say, I havent missed them!

* The loadout wheel of fortune - Round and round it goes, what it'll remove, nobody knows! *
Captain
# 20
07-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilczewski View Post
They never left. What's your point?
That's what I;m wondering as well. I know a single member of staff said something in passing about the lock boxes but I;ve never read anything that said that regions were actual banned.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining