Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Fleetyards
Login

Ensign
# 31
07-07-2012, 11:04 PM
For a general audience of non die hard trekkies, the B'rel is probably the most recognizable.

But I have a special place in my heart for all of the Klingon ships, to be honest. They have a solid design lineage that just says 'Klingon' when you look at it.
Lt. Commander
# 32
07-08-2012, 12:06 AM
"Bird of Prey" is the first thing that comes to mind when I hear (read) "Klingon ship."

So let's go with that.

Most of my characters suck | I suck at Twitter, too!
Captain
# 33
07-08-2012, 05:46 AM
I would say the Bird of Prey as well. Since it was the most used ship. And most easily spotted by that. The Vor'cha and Negh'Var was used very little. So not many can say that is a Klingon ship. Granted the D7/K't'inga was used a lot in TOS. But after that you rarely saw those. So the BOP is the most Iconic, while the D7/K't'inga is the Classic.
Survivor of Romulus
# 34
07-08-2012, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trygvar13 View Post
A cloaking device goes against everything the Klingons are. They don't hide from their enemies, they die with their eyes wide open. But because of this slight change it became cannon and is now part of their history.
Can't agree with you on that. Klingon ships are generally regarded as inferior to those of Starfleet. Klingons are honourable but not stupid. The cloaking device simply evens the chances during the skirmish. Apart from Chang's BoP, all their ships had to decloak if they wanted to fire.

Secondly - some Klingons understand the word "honour" differently. Worf once said (and I think Gowron too): "Nothing is more honorable than victory".

Thirdly - when Klingons used D7 cruisers they weren't portrayed as honourable. They were as cunning as the Romulans in TOS.

Fourthly - Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't K't'ingas in TMP have some kind of bird feathers on the hull?
Career Officer
# 35
07-08-2012, 06:54 AM
Since an icon does not have to be ever-present to be iconic I'd say while the BoP was the most ubiquitous Klingon ship, the D7 frame is the more iconic one.
Captain
# 36
07-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjumetley View Post
Can't agree with you on that. Klingon ships are generally regarded as inferior to those of Starfleet. Klingons are honourable but not stupid. The cloaking device simply evens the chances during the skirmish. Apart from Chang's BoP, all their ships had to decloak if they wanted to fire.

Secondly - some Klingons understand the word "honour" differently. Worf once said (and I think Gowron too): "Nothing is more honorable than victory".

Thirdly - when Klingons used D7 cruisers they weren't portrayed as honourable. They were as cunning as the Romulans in TOS.

Fourthly - Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't K't'ingas in TMP have some kind of bird feathers on the hull?
Indeed, not all Klingons would interpret the concept of honor in the same way as a Samurai or a particularly virtuous European Knight would. That Worf quote is particularly telling. What's honorable and glorious in the Klingon mind is winning battles with the resources you have at hand, though most Klingons would prefer an even fight in terms of numbers and firepower
Lieutenant
# 37
07-08-2012, 04:14 PM
B'Rel is like a Klingon VW Beetle, classic, common, cheap.
D7 is the closest the Klingons have ever come to a real Jaguar E type classic design
Career Officer
# 38
07-08-2012, 08:29 PM
It is odd that the original Bird of Prey from the third movie was supposed to be a Romulan ship. However, due to script and creative changes (plus a lack of budget and already made make up cosmetics I believe), it was change to Klingon.

I can't think of Klingons without thinking of the Bird of Prey and the D7 and their variants. It is a toss up.
Captain
# 39
07-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmallm View Post
I would say the Bird of Prey as well. Since it was the most used ship. And most easily spotted by that. The Vor'cha and Negh'Var was used very little. So not many can say that is a Klingon ship. Granted the D7/K't'inga was used a lot in TOS. But after that you rarely saw those. So the BOP is the most Iconic, while the D7/K't'inga is the Classic.
Hmm, so the original/refit connie is classic but the Galaxy is iconic because more people saw TNG.

I eagerly await you defending your position in 20 years with the next generation of viewers.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Lt. Commander
# 40
07-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Bird of Prey. I don't care much about this space junk from TOS.