Captain
I resized my avatar to literally 95x95 as a .jpg and it STILL looks blurry on upload.

What file type is everyone using and what is the actual picture size? I was assuming that forcing the forum to shrink your photo for you would cause the blurriness but with it already being so small and still blurry, Im not sure whats wrong. The old forum, I could upload the 600 x 600 avatar and it shrank down perfectly clear.

I was trying to make a new avatar with me on my bridge, but it was so blurry even after i cropped it perfectly, it was unusable.

Help.
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Zorro
"Captain, the entity appears to be A New Accord"
Rihannsu
# 2
07-06-2012, 10:40 AM
80x80. I never like any of the "automatic" resizers, I'd much rather do it myself so I can apply an unsharpen mask to the picture.
Captain
# 3
07-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Yup, never do the web based resizing. That's GD probably and that program is known for weird results on occasion.

Do everything locally.

I have a png capture of this avatar although it comes from a screencap of a flv so it;s not the highest quality anyway.

edit: I think your avatar looks fine by the way.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining

Last edited by mikewendell; 07-06-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Use PNG, not JPG. JPG is a ****ty and lossy format that will litter your image with (depending on the compression level) slight to severe distortion artifacts due to its compression algorithm. PNG-24 (not PNG-8) will give you all of the colors a JPG would, but without the distortion artifacts. PNG-24 is also nice because it allows for partial transparency; JPG doesn't allow for any transparency at all.

So, using your own program, save your image as a PNG-24 at 80x80...then upload it.