Captain
# 11
07-07-2012, 04:15 AM
Here is the thing.... the Fleet based content and the rewards therein are designed to reward players who work together for a common goal. If you are whining (Because that is exactly what this is) that you want the new ships, but don't wanna join no stupid fleet. The whole point of this is to encourage players to form fleets and fight together.

If you want the Ships, you have to join a fleet, get along with people, and then contribute to the fleet. The same thing if you want something in real life. Sometimes, you have to go to work, put on a stupid uniform, work with people you don't like, and tell idiots the difference between a Whooper and a Big Mac. But HEY, you get a paycheck at the end of the week, and life goes on.

If you want to be anti-social, that is fine. It's your game. Play it how you want. However, dont expect the Devs or anyone else to hand you fleet rewards because you ask nicely. You want them? Go earn them...
Career Officer
# 12
07-07-2012, 04:30 AM
There are fleets out there who simply specialize in being a "non-fleet-invite" system.
A obvious solution would be to request access to one of thoose.

However, there are also fleets out there who specialize in simply creating a community, rather than having strict rules about how often you have to spend time with the others.

Just as an example, one of the basic rules in my fleet is to "let players play, the way the want to".
We focus more on having people we know and trust to do team missions with, and as a resource base... We don't do much PvP (barely any), and we only depend on each other for STF's and team missions (such as defera).
The rest of the time, we let people go their own ways, do missions solo, collect dilithium on their own and stuff like that.

Basically you could go around doing things as you always have, but still have the benefit of the fleet rewards, since you would have to collect the resources on your own anyways.

So my, or a similar fleet is the less preferable option to you.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Career Officer
# 13
07-07-2012, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
Fleets in this game are a joke as it is, there aren't enough consistent people online and in-game to sustain active fleets for very long. It's hard to find fleets that have people communicating in them everyday that last a long time. I've been in about 20 fleets during my time in this game during the last 3 years, and I haven't found one yet that sustains active communication in the fleet. It may last a few months, and when the game was new they were active, but fleets don't last long in this game. People lose interest, once they get to level 50 there is nothing to do so they stop playing, and the fleet dies. Fleets are pretty much mainly good for new players, or players leveling up. For people at level 50, and have been at end-game for 2 years, it's hard to find active fleets.

Therefore, Season 6 sucks in the sense that it focuses on something that isn't active enough. It'd be like spending a whole season on PvP, which no one hardly plays anymore.

I wish instead Season 6 had focused on end-game content, or new featured series or episodes. Some new content that keep people active in the game would be nice.
I've had my fleet since day 1 of live.. altho we are small we have been active pretty much 24/7 as some of us are in uk the others are usa. I personally have started to recruit new blood into the mix and so far gained some really good people.. I have no issues with the new content I think its a much needed link to get our big community being more social and willing to work, its only the lepers, loners and moaners that will sit at the back cuz their attitudes suck towards others.

P.S our fleet name is : Starfleet Temporal Corps
Career Officer
# 14
07-07-2012, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
There are fleets out there who simply specialize in being a "non-fleet-invite" system.
A obvious solution would be to request access to one of thoose.

However, there are also fleets out there who specialize in simply creating a community, rather than having strict rules about how often you have to spend time with the others.

Just as an example, one of the basic rules in my fleet is to "let players play, the way the want to".
We focus more on having people we know and trust to do team missions with, and as a resource base... We don't do much PvP (barely any), and we only depend on each other for STF's and team missions (such as defera).
The rest of the time, we let people go their own ways, do missions solo, collect dilithium on their own and stuff like that.

Basically you could go around doing things as you always have, but still have the benefit of the fleet rewards, since you would have to collect the resources on your own anyways.

So my, or a similar fleet is the less preferable option to you.
Totally agree with you and your methods to playing and having other members play their style, its the same with our fleet, we say play how u like, just enjoy yourself if they like RP and throw it my way hell I RP back heh... all I ask of my members is wear the darn fleet patch heh, We all work together getting resources for everything even the dilithium materials are bought and stored/used for all who need it.
Career Officer
# 15
07-07-2012, 05:07 AM
You do know it's an MMO and not a single-player game, right? It makes sense for them to encourage you to play with others and reward cooperation, friendship and community. Not all the rewards need to be based on solo-oriented leveling or gameplay.

As for your experience with fleets/guilds - there are some good ones and some bad ones out there, just like everything else. I tried/considered a few fleets before joining my current one, and found many to be annoying or useless, but my current fleet is just great. We've been running together for almost a year now. I joined it when it was just established and began to grow, and I've seen it stabilize, grow and get better/professional. We have our own website, ventrilo voice chat (which we use to communicate on a daily basis), regular events and fleet meetings, mentoring program, and an some in-game channel. We work together to help each other and progress, we form alliances with other fleets, and we do not require anyone to do anything that's not fun for them (as log as they log in to the game at least once a month, which is quite reasonable in my opinion). Finding a good fleet is not easy, but it is very rewarding, so I do recommend you use this opportunity to make an effort and find one.

I also play other MMOs occasionally, and I also have guilds in them. I usually look for casual guilds, and I state right from the beginning that may main game is STO, so I will only be on every once in a while, and I always make sure I join one with it's own voice chat so that I can easily communicate with them. So far, it's worked nicely. What do you actually have to lose from trying to socialize?

LLAP
~-~-~ =/\= ~-~-~
~-Wolf-de-Lyon-~
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Career Officer
# 16
07-07-2012, 05:07 AM
I've been in 4 different fleets. The first three were drama filled nightmares. One was so paramilitaristic that I thought I was reliving my SCA days from college. The second was run by a teenage girl who flirted with everyone and created such drama with her antics that she managed to get the fleet and herself banned.

I finally created one just for real-life friends and although there's only 5 of us right now, at least I know there will be no idiocy. It may take us forever to grind for a Tier 5 shipyard as we are mostly casual types but the lack of headache will be worth it.
I survived the 2012 Forum Merge - Join Date 11/2008

Last edited by shakesfistatsky; 07-07-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Commander
# 17
07-07-2012, 06:31 AM
Thanks for those who did give encouraging feedback...

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~kalecto
Sensors indicate a caitian carrier, Sir. Excellent. Ready the Catnip Torpedoes for a full spread.

Last edited by kalecto; 07-07-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Career Officer
# 18
07-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteguy904 View Post
Thanks for those who did give encouraging feedback...

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~kalecto
Yea pretty much agree, I'm a casual gamer too and I play to chill out after work and just unwind.

Oh that reminds me is there any fleet out there that wants to ally with ourselves, obviously fleets get full and we are happy to take on noobs and vets alike.

Last edited by kalecto; 07-07-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Lieutenant
# 19
07-07-2012, 10:00 AM
The problem I have with some fleets is the way they're organised. You have a heirachy within the fleet, with those at the top thinking they can tell their "underlings" how to play the game. I play a game to relax, not to conform to a pseudo-militaristic rule set.

From Day One, STO has been a single player oriented MMO. Nobody can deny that, or call people out for it - it is the way the game has been promoted, and you can't call people names because that's the way they want to play the game.
Empire Veteran
# 20
07-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadama View Post
The problem I have with some fleets is the way they're organised. You have a heirachy within the fleet, with those at the top thinking they can tell their "underlings" how to play the game. I play a game to relax, not to conform to a pseudo-militaristic rule set.

From Day One, STO has been a single player oriented MMO. Nobody can deny that, or call people out for it - it is the way the game has been promoted, and you can't call people names because that's the way they want to play the game.
my fleet wont tell you how to play the game ^_^ but we do require that you actually play the game. we also require that you talk and play nice with others. If you are communicative and playing we don't care what you do with your time online.