Career Officer
# 1 All levels PvP free for all
09-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Alright so to quickly explain what my idea is, right now PvP is divided by rank: captains together, commanders together, etc... What if it was a all levels free for all? Now the first thing most of you will spout is "it wouldnt be fair for the lower levels." Obviously if it was using the current system. But how about if instead of having a set number of required player, we have a set amount of "points" required to start a game? What I mean by points is lets say a VA ship is worth 1000 points, and you need 5k points for one team. Lower rank ships will be worth less points so their are more of them to even out their lower performance.

Also instead of needing a set number of kills to win the game we need a set number of (you guessed it) points. Higher rank ships are harder to kill but they give you more points towards winning so you have to decide: do I want to try and go for the big bucks? or do I want to play it safe? If a team decides to go for the small fry then their wide open for attacks from the heavy hitters. Whether or not everyone is automatically leveled up to level 50 is debatable but I think it would be fair considering under level 20 ships can be destroyed buy one Tricobolt device.

Obviously PvP needs a lot more to fix it than just this, but as a small step towards fixing a part of the game that could be so much more, what do you guys think of this?
Commander
# 2
09-13-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm going to enjoy griefing low-level players that have less combined hull and shield healing than my BoP's DHC's able to put out in a single burst.

Actually, it ought to be plenty easy to just TBR-crash whole waves of ships that won't be able to hit my ship while I rake in the points.

[EDIT]

You are aware lower-tier ships also take more damage from, and receive less healing from, higher tier ships, right?

Last edited by corsair114; 09-13-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-13-2012, 04:21 PM
This sounds like fun. It would give me a reason to create & level some alts.
Lower tier ships would have to get some kind of buff though.
Time played in game. as of 9/12/12 (on my mains) Total 2907 hours.K'zoontite has been on active duty for 34 days, 3 hours, Bot Fly has been on active duty for 55 days, 4 hours, Poppa Capp has been on active duty for 4 days, 12 hours, B'zooka has been on active duty for 12 days, 22 hours,Tater(fed) has been on active duty for 14 days, 10 hours,
Commander
# 4
09-14-2012, 12:18 AM
No, thank you. Yesterday I ended in 2 Fed vs 3 Klinks arena match. And I was paired with Miranda(!). I could tank those three Klinks without problems (unless I made some stupid error) but all they needed was to wait till Miranda respawn and kill it again and again. I surrendered in the end and ended the match quickly by stripping my shield and waiting untill they score 15 kills.

Low level ships (and in this case it was cmdr level pvp so not that much difference) dont pack enough firepower to help in killing higher levels and dont have enough health to survive the firepower of enemy from higher levels. Healing them is a waste too cause even if I throw sci team, TSS and extend on that ship it will be still less healing then the damage other side is causing.
Lieutenant
# 5
09-14-2012, 12:36 AM
I can't see it,, lower tiers would get done over in seconds ,,, and I can't see there weps doing much,, I could prob go take a dump and they would still be shooting when I return
Ensign
# 6
09-14-2012, 01:53 AM
the Problem ist: even at level 50 the differences between 'good builds' and 'bad builds' is easily at 300%-400% and more.
Allowing lower tier ships will only improve that Gap.

But a point system would be a good idea, not for ships, but for players
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
09-14-2012, 04:37 AM
I bet that who had this idea is...an evil Klingun!

The PvPers want more maps, more balance, rewards when PvPing and also a player ranking...Cryptiiiiiic!!!
This is a real Starfleet Cruiser, the awesome Adm. Marcus Vengeance! Stol Fed Cruisers suck!
Captain
# 8
09-14-2012, 06:02 AM
As I've brought up before, I have a dream of retrofit queues. For example, players will enter the tier 3 queue while piloting a tier 3 ship. Captains will be scaled accordingly. This way a lvl 50 character can be used to PvP with a lvl 30 ship, giving new PvPers a chance to learn to PvP without jumping in at a max-level ship and being overwhelmed by options. Other players might also enjoy the slower pace of lower tier combat and the chance to fly their favorite lower tier ships which cannot compete at max level.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-14-2012, 06:14 AM
Lol devs are unable to fix many bugs that everyone knows and are going to do this?, besides pvp is almost about ''go kill the squishy'' this idea brings more unbalanced pvp and the system already favors that so please NO.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=88638226000&dateline=  1340395851
Empire Veteran
# 10
09-14-2012, 06:18 AM
If the zone could support crowds of 100 versus 100, the event had a countdown timer and the winner was determined by total kills and a point system that acrued each kill a points amount based on ship tier.

That way several low level ships could gang up on a few high levels and possibly keep the points to win.

Otherwise it would remind me of fleet versus fleet battles in EVE with all the explosions, weapons fire and other flashy stuff.
Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....

R.I.P