Banned
# 1 Kickstarter = poker in STO?
07-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Q: (EzriRayne) One word ? Poker ? XD

Dstahl: Amazing how this one mini-game continues to come up every single Ask Cryptic. It must be a very popular game in order for it to still be around in the future. I?ve no objections to it being in the game as it appeared several times in Star Trek series. It really just boils down to a programmer having a little extra time to do this as a side project. Unfortunately, our software programmers get very little extra time. Not ruling this out, but the odds are that this is just about as rare as a Royal Flush at this point. Not impossible, just improbable in the short term.
So how much money would it take to "motivate" one of the programmers to do this in their free time?
Commander
# 2
07-07-2012, 09:10 AM
I would personally donate $50 USD to the cause.
Empire Veteran
# 3
07-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackswaggert View Post
I would personally donate $50 USD to the cause.
I'll see your 50 and raise another 50.
Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.
Warning, this poster tends to talk nonsensically when caffine levels fall below 80%.
Captain
# 4
07-07-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm out. I just had a pair of twos.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Empire Veteran
# 5
07-07-2012, 09:25 AM
I really don't think money is the issue. Dstahl specifically said that the programmers have little spare time... so unless you can magicially get them more spare time, I don't think it'll happen for awhile.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Career Officer
# 6
07-07-2012, 09:32 AM
They could always "schedule" time for it to actually appear in a season officially.

I don't really like the idea of the management relying on the goodwill of a dev to use their own personal time to add in a highly requested feature.
Career Officer
# 7
07-07-2012, 09:35 AM
I can play poker anywhere on the internet, I'ld rather see the Tri-D chess get in the game.
Captain
# 8
07-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Since players are allowed to gamble for lockboxes, Im surprised we dont have poker in STO that allows us to gamble with Z points, thus giving z points a tad boost. Doing it without gambling for Zs you could still charge for different types of playing card decks to look at, a separate Z charge for Texas Holdem, make 5 different officer quarters rooms to sell and add to players ship rooms as its own instance like the bridges, where there are 5 different poker room themes to chose from and invite your friends to. Really, theres several ways to get some honest Z points out of us with Trek Poker, Dan isnt really thinking this through, which has been my problem with him as EP, he overlooks the obvious money making opportunities right under his nose.
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Zorro
"Captain, the entity appears to be A New Accord"
Captain
# 9
07-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmousex View Post
I can play poker anywhere on the internet, I'ld rather see the Tri-D chess get in the game.
I'd rather see bugs fixed actually than a new feature that may or may not work right.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Career Officer
# 10
07-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleohnine View Post
Really, theres several ways to get some honest Z points out of us with Trek Poker, Dan isnt really thinking this through, which has been my problem with him as EP, he overlooks the obvious money making opportunities right under his nose.
Agreed, sort of ironic, especially when the rest of the ask cryptic answers were themed at "investing in systems for the future," and yet the possibilities for revenue and ways to tie into the doff system, etc from chess or poker are completely overlooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewendell View Post
I'd rather see bugs fixed actually than a new feature that may or may not work right.
Bug fixing and adding new gameplay features should both be possible. That's why you see things like the fleet system and a future crafting update being added.

So they are already adding in systems, its just a matter of getting the devs to find time for all gameplay styles.

Last edited by dunespice; 07-07-2012 at 09:46 AM.