Starfleet Veteran
# 1 Are small fleets doomed?
07-07-2012, 09:59 AM
I just had a look at the wiki page for season 6. It seems that all dilithium prices and number of missions needed to upgrade a starbase are fixed, regardless of the fleet's size.

Can this be confirmed? Is this a push to eliminate the smaller fleets in favour of super fleets?

I'm really hoping that any costs, be they dilithium of effort costs are scaled to match the fleet member number. To my way of thinking it's the only way to promote fairness amongst the fleets.
Commander
# 2
07-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Yeah, dil costs are going to be fixed irrespective of fleet size.

That said, "Super" fleets (ie. 100+ active members) will have an alternative problem that not everyone will be able to get their contributions in and get Fleet Credits before the requirements for the mission are filled, so you might have players who are less active or aren't on at the correct time of day feeling left out.

IIRC, one of the Devs, I think it was Heretic before he left, said they've been set up with an ideal size of between 20 and 50 members in mind. We probably won't know for sure until it hits live.
Rihannsu
# 3
07-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Small fleets are not doomed at all.

if you mean will small fleets struggle to get tier 4 and 5 bases anytime soon then yes, they probably will unless all the members happen to be very dedicated. you really dont need 500 active players to get a good construction speed. 20 or 30 people who play often will be enough.

personally i have no issue with the set up. i firmly believe large fleets of 500 people should have a significant advantage of a fleet of 5 if people are all pulling their weight. small fleets can still get a base, play the missions and strive towards rewards, it will just be harder and take them longer.

its not really about just giving every fleet a tier 5 base just for being in a fleet and just for the sake of it. getting something sooner by having a greater pool of resources is the advantage of large fleets. there seems less of a point to having these massive fleets of hundreds of people working together if there is no real gain and 5 guys in a tiny fleet are matching your construction speed.

there are advantages to being in a small fleet as well. its not all roses and unicorns for the large fleets. those players will find it significantly harder to contribute before someone else beats you to it or uses all the provisions.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 4
07-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skhc View Post
IIRC, one of the Devs, I think it was Heretic before he left, said they've been set up with an ideal size of between 20 and 50 members in mind. We probably won't know for sure until it hits live.
Ditto. Someone used the number of 25 as an average fleet size. They also used that number when discussing not raising the fleet size cap.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
I just had a look at the wiki page for season 6. It seems that all dilithium prices and number of missions needed to upgrade a starbase are fixed, regardless of the fleet's size.

Can this be confirmed? Is this a push to eliminate the smaller fleets in favour of super fleets?

I'm really hoping that any costs, be they dilithium of effort costs are scaled to match the fleet member number. To my way of thinking it's the only way to promote fairness amongst the fleets.
depends on your definition of small.

fleets of 10 or fewer, no not really, but it will take you quite a bit longer to make some of the tiers on starbases.

Fleets of 15-20, eh not so much they will find it manageable but will lag behind a touch.

The star bases are set to to target size for 25-45 active players. Those with more then that will be hampered by construction timers while fleets of the target size will find they can always be ready for construction timer to be done and ready to input all the next new things to begin the next set of advancements.

over 100+ folks, this is where fleet politics, or true corp politics will come into play. It is a EvE like move, but it will add some player base drama to the game, not that it really needs it.

It will show poorly run fleets vs fairly run fleets very quickly too. those with poor leadership will fold and loose members quickly to fairer handed fleets. So expect some changes to many fleets.

My Wife and I are looking around now to get into a good size fleet around the 20-30 size mark and begin contributing in building of star bases....

Course we might take our private fleet on the fed side and just start adding folks to it.

On the Klingon side I know she (Vith) is looking for a good house to join. The last group she was with, while good RP'rs, were not interested in advancing or preparing for the upcoming fleet. Due to this she moved on from them and is looking for a KDF House to call home too.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
07-07-2012, 11:08 AM
The future as I see it
(warning this is opinion based on assessment of data only)

One man fleets (single player single character) will struggle to build at any sort of decent speed

Alt Fleets (single player multiple characters) Will build at a steady pace and will before long have excess resources available to pass out to the fleetless (join , buy the ship, leave)

Micro Fleets (less than 10) will build at a steady pace and will again have excess resources to pass out

Small fleets (11-30) will become the norm and build at the projected rate

Medium fleets (31-50)will build at the projected rate and will also suffer less from politics than the big boys

Large fleets (sub divided)
Rp fleets will settle things easily and will probably share resources fairly

PVE Fleets will either fall to internal politics and split or will have to reorganise (elected leaders)

PVP fleets and mauler fleets are basically pirates it will be every man for himself

Stupidly large fleets (anything over 250) will split into sub fleets or fall to infighting
Captain
# 7
07-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
The future as I see it
(warning this is opinion based on assessment of data only)

One man fleets (single player single character) will struggle to build at any sort of decent speed

Alt Fleets (single player multiple characters) Will build at a steady pace and will before long have excess resources available to pass out to the fleetless (join , buy the ship, leave)

Micro Fleets (less than 10) will build at a steady pace and will again have excess resources to pass out

Small fleets (11-30) will become the norm and build at the projected rate

Medium fleets (31-50)will build at the projected rate and will also suffer less from politics than the big boys

Large fleets (sub divided)
Rp fleets will settle things easily and will probably share resources fairly

PVE Fleets will either fall to internal politics and split or will have to reorganise (elected leaders)

PVP fleets and mauler fleets are basically pirates it will be every man for himself

Stupidly large fleets (anything over 250) will split into sub fleets or fall to infighting
That post actually makes sense. Keep up the good work!

However, I see little difference between the first two entries (I think both will build at a modest, but acceptable rate), and everything past Medium is somewhat questionable.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
07-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Single character has one dilith cap an Alt fleet has more than one
thats the difference

and the bigger fleets are already infighting sad but true

look at the several "house of (insert word) orion women"
theres at least
"beautiful" "exiled" "scanky" "Dominant" and "Bald"
all off shoots or spoofs of each other and all it seems enemies now
Captain
# 9
07-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Single character has one dilith cap an Alt fleet has more than one
thats the difference

and the bigger fleets are already infighting sad but true

look at the several "house of (insert word) orion women"
theres at least
"beautiful" "exiled" "scanky" "Dominant" and "Bald"
all off shoots or spoofs of each other and all it seems enemies now
Hmmm, I suppose you have a point. However it only applies under the assumption that the player will bother to max his refining on more than one character, which I've been trying to get myself to do, but repeatedly failed to get myself going. As for the second point, I have yet to see such infighting, and have no idea what KDF Houses you're referring to.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
07-07-2012, 11:25 AM
just before the forum switch there was a major bust up in the "house of beautiful orion women"
it went global on the forum and strongly resembled a civil war

since then there are many such houses and they all hate each other
(so it appears)

of course the funny thing is almost all Orion women are GUYS