Lieutenant
# 1 Weapons Damage Shenanigans
07-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Here's what I'm seeing at the moment. I'm using blue MK X phaser beam arrays, 3 fore 2 aft, on a Tier 4 LRSV. I seem to recall from the past few days playing, I could do anywhere from 400 to 800 damage (according the the floating numbers), depending on power drain. Now, tonight I've noticed when I start and engagement, I'm only doing 40 to 60, but if I activate an ability or skill (EPtS, Brace, HazEm, etc) my damage jumps up to the 600 to 800 range. After a few volleys, it drops again. I could swear I didn't observe this behavoiur a few days ago. Anyone else notice something like this, or have some tips on what might be causing it?
Captain
You can choose max weapons/shields/engine/balance from the button on the power settings box - or you can manually set them

- did you have max weapons power - 100+ and have somehow change to max shields or engines - this could explain why it went back up with energency power to weapons

also it you hit a shield it will show much smaller numbers than a hull strike

Check your power settings first

what every you put the power levels at the Box that shows weapons(max of 8 in the box - 4 and 4 or less) will show you the dps if you put your cursor over it

Hope this helps
Lieutenant
# 3
07-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Weapons power is 109/100. I've noticed that even if I don't activate any abilities, the damage starts off around 50 to 60, then after maybe four volleys suddenly it's up around the 600's. The listed DPS for my weapons is about 176, so I can see the numbers fluctuating a bit based on how many beams are hitting, but the initial damage figures just seem very low. I've verified that the same seems to occur with my assault cruiser, with purple Mk X polaron beam arrays. The first 10 seconds or so is very little damage, then it jumps up significantly, then it bottoms out again.
Now that you mention it, it's probably from the shield hits. I just must not have noticed it until now. Quite frankly, I usually don't pay too much attention to the numbers, but I have been recently as I'm trying out a few new things, such as an engineer in a science vessel.

Last edited by eltech; 07-07-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Commander
# 4
07-07-2012, 05:36 PM
You taking shield strength into account? They are designed to absorb damage after all. You said yourself this is at the START of an engagement, so I should have no reason to believe the enemy shields are not active.
"My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
-The Milkshake Song: Vulcan Edition
Lieutenant
# 5
07-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Yep, that's exactly what it was. Just finished a DSE, and I watched the enemy ships very closely. 50 to 60 damage, as soon as the shield facing dropped, 600+. Just seems funny that I never really noticed it before. Thanks for the replies.
Captain
# 6
07-09-2012, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltech View Post
Yep, that's exactly what it was. Just finished a DSE, and I watched the enemy ships very closely. 50 to 60 damage, as soon as the shield facing dropped, 600+. Just seems funny that I never really noticed it before. Thanks for the replies.
No that is incorrect. Energy weapons do identical damage to shield and hull (as opposed to torpedoes which do minimum damage to shields due to kinetic damage type).

Here's what you're seeing:

Each beam weapon fires 5 times per cycle. Each cycle lasts 5 seconds. Each cycle 'eats up' power from your weapons. For simplicity's sake I'll just use 10 power per cycle.

So, if you have 100 weapon power and 4 beam weapons firing the power drain is -40 every 5 seconds.

Your ship will recover weapons power based on your captain skillset and any EPS modules you have installed.

Since weapon damage is tied to the ship's power, your first shots in the first cycle (aka the first one or two shots in the first cycle) will do max damage.. the 400-600 you see. Following shots get their damage lowered because the power level has dropped..so the third to fifth shots in the first cycle can go down to ~200 damage... when the cycle ends the power levels are no longer at 100, they are at 60 and the ship is quickly increasing the power level.

Before the next cycle begins the ship may feed power level back up to 80 or 90.

and the power drain gets worse the longer you sustain firing. You do not notice a complete permanent drop in power after a long time because ships maneuver and many times you will only be firing half of your weapons rather than all of them at once and this allows the power levels to recover to full. But if you sit on a broadside firing at a very big target nonstop you will see your ship damage get lower..and lower...and lower. If you dont use a bridge officer ability or have DOFF bonus power abilities that is.

Generally a ship can sustain its power levels if it fires four energy weapons total. When you add more than that your power levels suffer from the strain. Only turrets allow for a full 8-weapon slot energy weapon use.. but that is a rather useless ship.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg

Last edited by cmdrskyfaller; 07-09-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Career Officer
# 7
07-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Quote:
No that is incorrect. Energy weapons to identical damage to shield and hull (as opposed to torpedoes which do minimum damage to shields due to kinetic damage type).
Assuming no SDR then they'll deal the same damage to shields as they will to hull but the damage floaters on Holodeck show only hull damage so the lower numbers are bleed through damage (usually 10%, NPCs don't use Resilient shields) with the 600-800 being damage direct to hull with no damage mitigation via shields.
What he's observing is as he thought, the difference between bleed through and damage direct to hull as reported by the damage floaters above his target.

Last edited by mwgacy1; 07-09-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller View Post
No that is incorrect. Energy weapons do identical damage to shield and hull (as opposed to torpedoes which do minimum damage to shields due to kinetic damage type).

Here's what you're seeing:

Each beam weapon fires 5 times per cycle. Each cycle lasts 5 seconds. Each cycle 'eats up' power from your weapons. For simplicity's sake I'll just use 10 power per cycle.

So, if you have 100 weapon power and 4 beam weapons firing the power drain is -40 every 5 seconds.

Your ship will recover weapons power based on your captain skillset and any EPS modules you have installed.

Since weapon damage is tied to the ship's power, your first shots in the first cycle (aka the first one or two shots in the first cycle) will do max damage.. the 400-600 you see. Following shots get their damage lowered because the power level has dropped..so the third to fifth shots in the first cycle can go down to ~200 damage... when the cycle ends the power levels are no longer at 100, they are at 60 and the ship is quickly increasing the power level.

Before the next cycle begins the ship may feed power level back up to 80 or 90.

and the power drain gets worse the longer you sustain firing. You do not notice a complete permanent drop in power after a long time because ships maneuver and many times you will only be firing half of your weapons rather than all of them at once and this allows the power levels to recover to full. But if you sit on a broadside firing at a very big target nonstop you will see your ship damage get lower..and lower...and lower. If you dont use a bridge officer ability or have DOFF bonus power abilities that is.

Generally a ship can sustain its power levels if it fires four energy weapons total. When you add more than that your power levels suffer from the strain. Only turrets allow for a full 8-weapon slot energy weapon use.. but that is a rather useless ship.
There's a lot of wrong information in this post. For example, weapons now regain full energy the moment they stop firing. Also, EPS consoles only affect power transfer between systems, not weapon power drain. Thirdly, 8 turrets firing constantly can, with added rapid fires, do an acceptable amount of dps.
Don't fall for the fake advertising: Guild Wars 2 is a WoW clone and a poor one too.
Lieutenant
# 9
07-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwgacy1 View Post
Assuming no SDR then they'll deal the same damage to shields as they will to hull but the damage floaters on Holodeck show only hull damage so the lower numbers are bleed through damage (usually 10%, NPCs don't use Resilient shields) with the 600-800 being damage direct to hull with no damage mitigation via shields.
What he's observing is as he thought, the difference between bleed through and damage direct to hull as reported by the damage floaters above his target.
That makes more sense, since it's the beginning of the attack (at full wep power) that shows the lower numbers. Be a lot more simple if the floaters just said "ouch, ouch, ouch, Hey, that hurts!, STOP IT!!!, dead).