Rihannsu
# 1 Finale advice
07-08-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm just publishing Apocalypse Descending, part 4 of the March of the Autarch arc and so I'll be working on the finale next but I'm not sure how to end it at the very end. My working idea is the player on a covert mission while the big battle to push the enemy back into their territory takes place elsewhere, then you reunite with the victorious fleet and talk to a bunch of characters that have popping up over the arc but I don't know it doesn't feel big enough, I want the pay-off to be worth the 5-mission build up. Any thoughts?
Career Officer
# 2
07-08-2012, 09:28 PM
It might be sort of contrived, but maybe you can have the player transfer the location of a hidden fleet or something, and then they can warp in to join the fleet battle. That would probably be more of an epic ending.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
07-09-2012, 09:36 AM
You might take a look at my Dissent Series, I ended "Dissent V: Skyline's End" on sort of the same note as yours: everything building to a huge battle. I decided to show the battle, with as many mobs in there as a I could. Unfortunately, when you get huge fleet battles in STO, they are kind of easy for the player since there are so many friendlies. I've never died once while testing it. And they are over rather quickly. So what I did was to do the battle in three stages.

Stage 1: Initial Space Battle
You and your forces engage and defeat the enemy fleet.

Stage 2: Boarding Party
Some enemy troops beamed onto your ship during the battle, you and your Boffs go below to fight them.

Stage 3: Reinforcements
More enemy ships enter the battle, you engage and defeat them, including the enemy command ship.

Both of the space portions have max contacts. The boarding party has several difficult mobs (Remans in this case).

Seems like a good way to do it. People still say its kind of short, but I suspect they might be people who didn't actually play parts I-IV

One thing you could do is play it a little like "Return of the Jedi" where you go on that covert ground mission you mentioned to do something to help your side in the big battle, then you join the battle in progress. This way you have that big spectacle payoff, but there's more to the mission than just that.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Rihannsu
# 4
07-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Hi Drogyn I just played the first Dissent mission, at first I thought the titles were massive coincidences but now I'm going to guess you're quite a symphonic metal fan
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
07-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Glad someone has caught on. Actually all my mission titles except 1 so far have been song names from my favorite bands.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Rihannsu
# 6
07-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Nobody noticed? I instantly thought of Edenbridge as soon as I read Skyline's End in your post up there. Nobody has a good music taste.

Speaking of, that was an excellent arc. I didn't see that coming in the finale and it was a brilliant pay-off at the end. All your missions seem consistently great. You too by the way, Nagorak, I've always been fond of your Atlas missions.

By the way, Drogyn what was your inspiration for the Tzenkethi designs? If you've played any of my missions you'll see our designs are fairly different.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
07-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrobbiec View Post
Nobody noticed? I instantly thought of Edenbridge as soon as I read Skyline's End in your post up there. Nobody has a good music taste.
Maybe they've noticed, but no one has ever said anything before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrobbiec View Post
By the way, Drogyn what was your inspiration for the Tzenkethi designs? If you've played any of my missions you'll see our designs are fairly different.
I would have loved to make them non-humanoid, but being limited by the Foundry, I took inspiration from two sources: Memory Alpha, which has an entry that says the writer of the episode envisioned them as "heavily-armored lizard things." and Memory Beta, which tells me that there are some books written with them as characters and gave a description like "tall, smooth and beautiful." I knew I didn't want them to just look like gorn, so I sort of combined those and played around with combinations till i found something. I found I liked not having external ears, and coupled that with a tall, ridged head and scales. I varied some of the patterns and used Klingon uniforms.

I also took some inspiration from Memory Beta as to characterization and what the species as a whole is like. Of course never having read any of those books, I didn't copy what those writers did, just kind of put my own twist on it.

Of course that's the fun of the Tzenkethi, since they were talked about but not seen, it opens them up for a lot of cool interpretations. What mission do you have them in? I'd like to see your version, or should I say vision!
Rihannsu
# 8
07-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Jus In Bello, SixSickSlickSlimSycamoreSaplings, What Defines a Friend and Apocalypse Descending so far and then the upcoming finale