Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 15
So in Tribble Maintenance and Release Notes July 6 they released a General statement covering updates on the Lock Box Ships. Now since anything posted there will be literally buried in all the discussion, I decided to make this forum post in a not generally used way.

Quoted from Tribble Maintenance Release Notes July 6, " Updated the Jem'Hadar Attack Ship, Cardassian Galor, and Ferengi D'Kora so they have bonus HP, bonus shields, and an additional console slot so they are competitive with the fleet ships."

Just what the heck is going on here. In reading it several times I believe this to be a HARD CORE MONUMENTAL MISTAKE.

If you have a lock box ship, you get a free upgrade to be competitive with Fleet Ships. Where is my free upgrade for all the C-Store Ships we all have purchased. Oh that's right , I have to earn it thru the Tactical Commendations Star Base Tiers to open up ship yards.

Just when I thought the Developer's and Publishers were getting on the same track, I was proved wrong. This is EPIC FAIL and puts a Cash Greed Front to ALL of Any Practical Customer Relations because you just made Lock Box Ships better in game than any other by not requiring those who hold Lock Box Ships to play in the same sand box or to earn it.

Also, I thought we were getting beyond the whole Eastern Style of Micro Transactions due to the general dislike in the Western World. Many times several mentions of re-examining the whole lock box drop rate from Dan Stahl to Al Rivera. I understand they are here to stay but really they drop from mines, high yield torpedoes,structures, low tier MoB's and just a plain overload drop rate , not to mention you can buy them from the dilithium store, yet making Lock Box Ship's considerably OP compared to our current ship selections is unfair and poor in judgement.

I charge that this must be re-done. So much for dropping the Floor Mr. Rivera you just raised the roof as you always say is inappropriate. The ability to purchase a +1 or Fleet version of a Lock Box Ship should be done the same as it is for C-Store Ships, you fraggin' earn it like every one else.

In closing , If I have misunderstood the Tribble Release Notes July 6 and if it is the case that all Lock Box Ships will have to upgrade the same as all other ships, then consider my previous statements redacted.

Last edited by ofallon; 07-08-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: spell check
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,560
# 2
07-08-2012, 06:46 PM
It's not an upgrade thing, they really were buffed up a little. And by little, I DO mean little (like they had a 3-4k boost in hull, maybe a +0.1 to shield modifier, and that tenth console slot)

And the reason why? These are rare, nearly-impossible-to-get ships... they SHOULD be good.

And on Fleet ships, they are stronger than C-Store ships for a reason... because you're working toward them. On the reverse, you get the C-Store ships instantly, and they're good, but they don't have the extra stuff. But C-Store ships still have something to consider: their unique console, which the Fleet versions don't have.

And on a sidenote, the lockbox ships are comparable to the Fleet ships, and only slightly better than C-Store ships. Which one is truly better depends on the individual.
Was named Trek17, but still an author: www.enlightenmentoblivion.com.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 104
# 3
07-08-2012, 06:53 PM
I think the OP generally means... The lockbox ships are getting upgraded/turned to even more +1 then the c-store ships, but without any of the grind the fleet ships will have.

You have to work for that 'tier' of ships, unless you get a lucky lockbox or buy it from exchange/gifted from a friend. Then you get that without any grind, time, or effort with working as a fleet.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,211
# 4
07-08-2012, 07:04 PM
I already see the reason they're doing this.


You can't fabricate a Jem'Hadar Attack ship, Galor, D'kora or, Tuffli.


THere will be NO WAY to improve upon these incredibly rare ships in the fleet system, the only way to improve upon ships.


This will be the only way to get "improved" versions of these ships.



YOu want a Tier 5.5 Defiant/Gal-X/whatever? Join a fleet, bust your *** and build them, jsut like I plan to do for my Defiant.



Meanwhile I look forward to seeing my Jem'Hadar attack ship "level up".
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,241
# 5
07-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalavier View Post
I think the OP generally means... The lockbox ships are getting upgraded/turned to even more +1 then the c-store ships, but without any of the grind the fleet ships will have.

Particularly when there are older tier 5 c-store ships people paid quite a bit of cash for and over the F2P patch, the space revamp and the constant uber-nerfing of science abilities ...have been castrated and rendered obsolete.

(Tier 5 Nebula for example. Just by its Doff layout its just silly to buy it nowadays.. you cant do much with it).

Those older C-store ships should receive a free fleet version upgrade at the very least...and not just a silly increase in hull/shield and one extra console.. they need to be improved in boff layout primarily.


After seeing in tribble just what a huge time sink fleet starbases and upgrading ships to fleet version is.... I will not even bother with fleet versions.

Which also means no more cstore ship purchases for me. There is no reason now for me to spend money on them seeing how a precedent is set here, now, in how cstore ships are left behind to become obsolete and then we are asked to pay to upgrade them to a better version which is in all fact and purpose the very upgrades that are needed to return the ships to something closer to their pre-nerfing performance.

I have two 'lockbox' ships and three other-faction consoles. I did not pay a cent for them. Lady luck was kind to me and it seems that wench is the only reliable and respectable thing I have in STO.


Pay to upgrade my crapped out T5 cstore ships... what nerve.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 392
# 6
07-08-2012, 09:16 PM
This whole ship tier system, forced avatar is and has been a mess from the beginning. Case in point, given the pace of leveling, there is no reason to buy any C-Store ship below tier 5 unless you are a collector or want the console. Hello, lost revenue!!! Cryptic really needed to rethink how "ships" worked with this fleet system update, but they went down the well worn path of trouble and did not really take an innovative step.

Now they are painted into the tier box and it will continue to be mess from here on out. Rather than spend time creating all these new incarnations, it would have been better to devote time to a Suricata style revamp. That would have allowed players to still fly and customize the ships they want, within reason. Of course, the players wanted it, were in favor of it and I suppose it was overruled. Hey, we only pay the bills right?

For STO, the ship is our avatar in space. MMOers like to have a custom look or a particular avatar, you got character customization right so why not ships? Why do you force players into an avatar they may not like to perform the best or gimp them in performance if they select the one they like? Seems very counter-intuitive to me. You are only hamstringing yourselves more and only added a marginal ability for players to fly their favorite ships. Your solutions are continue down this potentially time and resource wasting path by fidgeting with layouts, waste time and resources developing every ship at every reasonable tier, or do the best thing for the game and yourselves by building a better system that will permanently alleviate these issues.

Just own up to it, Suricata's idea was great, answered the players issues and would make it easier for you guys to develop ships from there on out. I have no idea why no dev has officially commented on it and I find the dev silence about it disconcerting.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,560
# 7
07-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodoreshrvk View Post
This whole ship tier system, forced avatar is and has been a mess from the beginning. Case in point, given the pace of leveling, there is no reason to buy any C-Store ship below tier 5 unless you are a collector or want the console. Hello, lost revenue!!! Cryptic really needed to rethink how "ships" worked with this fleet system update, but they went down the well worn path of trouble and did not really take an innovative step.

Now they are painted into the tier box and it will continue to be mess from here on out. Rather than spend time creating all these new incarnations, it would have been better to devote time to a Suricata style revamp. That would have allowed players to still fly and customize the ships they want, within reason. Of course, the players wanted it, were in favor of it and I suppose it was overruled. Hey, we only pay the bills right?

For STO, the ship is our avatar in space. MMOers like to have a custom look or a particular avatar, you got character customization right so why not ships? Why do you force players into an avatar they may not like to perform the best or gimp them in performance if they select the one they like? Seems very counter-intuitive to me. You are only hamstringing yourselves more and only added a marginal ability for players to fly their favorite ships. Your solutions are continue down this potentially time and resource wasting path by fidgeting with layouts, waste time and resources developing every ship at every reasonable tier, or do the best thing for the game and yourselves by building a better system that will permanently alleviate these issues.

Just own up to it, Suricata's idea was great, answered the players issues and would make it easier for you guys to develop ships from there on out. I have no idea why no dev has officially commented on it and I find the dev silence about it disconcerting.
This is ignoring reality though.

Al said in his PriorityOne interview, that to make such a system is either NOT within their engine's capabilities... or it would take a complete from-the-ground-up approach, which would take several seasons.

Either situation is obviously gonna cost them major cash to implement this idea, if it would work anyway.
Was named Trek17, but still an author: www.enlightenmentoblivion.com.

Last edited by trek21; 07-08-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,323
# 8
07-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofallon View Post
If you have a lock box ship, you get a free upgrade to be competitive with Fleet Ships. Where is my free upgrade for all the C-Store Ships we all have purchased. Oh that's right , I have to earn it thru the Tactical Commendations Star Base Tiers to open up ship yards.
I wholeheartedly support the move to upgrade the lockbox ships. Here are my two reasons.

1) When you buy a C-store ship you pay a set price. Unless you win some karmic lottery and land a ship after using one or two keys you're going to end up paying a lot more for a lockbox ship compared to any ship sold in the C-store. I've read that some people have paid hundreds of dollars for their ships. The interests of these people need to be protected. (Some people may argue that these ships can be bought from the exchange. Yes they can, but the original seller had to pay real money for them at some stage.)

2) When you buys C-store ship you can unlock it as many times as you want on any or all of your toons. Once you get a lockbox ship you get one single ship only. If you open it on a toon it's forever locked to that toon.

They're my rational reasons. My irrational reasons? I'm looking forward to the instant improvements my Jem'Hadar and D'Kora are going to receive.
Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 15
# 9
07-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller View Post
Particularly when there are older tier 5 c-store ships people paid quite a bit of cash for and over the F2P patch, the space revamp and the constant uber-nerfing of science abilities ...have been castrated and rendered obsolete.

(Tier 5 Nebula for example. Just by its Doff layout its just silly to buy it nowadays.. you cant do much with it).

Those older C-store ships should receive a free fleet version upgrade at the very least...and not just a silly increase in hull/shield and one extra console.. they need to be improved in boff layout primarily.


After seeing in tribble just what a huge time sink fleet starbases and upgrading ships to fleet version is.... I will not even bother with fleet versions.

Which also means no more cstore ship purchases for me. There is no reason now for me to spend money on them seeing how a precedent is set here, now, in how cstore ships are left behind to become obsolete and then we are asked to pay to upgrade them to a better version which is in all fact and purpose the very upgrades that are needed to return the ships to something closer to their pre-nerfing performance.

I have two 'lockbox' ships and three other-faction consoles. I did not pay a cent for them. Lady luck was kind to me and it seems that wench is the only reliable and respectable thing I have in STO.


Pay to upgrade my crapped out T5 cstore ships... what nerve.
You are missing the point. First off the ability to "Unpack" an New Ship is completely doable.

Second they just made a collectors ship way better than necessary. They were never better than c-store ships they are just a rare, collectible and unique.

Lastly Season Six is "supposed to be" all about fleets and creating a better version of that community, getting a work around to a "FREE" Fleet Version is just wrong and slaps down what the hype of Season Six is to be. I don't have a problem with a tweak but a "Fleet" version is too much to swallow.

Last edited by ofallon; 07-08-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 308
# 10
07-08-2012, 10:11 PM
doible but not cheaper then a cstore ship 90% of the time. thats the real point.
-Spells
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:54 AM.