Commander
# 1 Star Trek Origins
07-09-2012, 11:12 AM
I always thought, since I was a kid that a series of TV Movies that explored the Origins and mysterys of the Star Trek Universe would be awsome!

Romulan Caravan, Kahless, Nomad, The Borg, Skin of Evil, Ferengi Stealing Warp Drive, Genesis of the Breen, Eugenic Wars...

I would love to know what storys you would tell and how would you tell them.
ATTENTION: UNDINE SPACE & TKON GROUND SETS ALL THE WAY DEVS!.. Q-TRIBBLE, MAYBE!?.. EJECT WARP CORE ABILITY LIKE LAYING A SUPER-MINE, HELL YES!!!.. SPACE HIPPIES FROM TOS PLAYING MUSIC IN OUR FLEET STARBASE, NO, JUST, NO... CAIT & RA'KHOLN ADVENTURE ZONE, YES

Last edited by rickysmith1; 07-09-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Rihannsu
# 2
07-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Like you said, a more in depth history of the Romulan Star Empire.

Another would be looking at the many races that the Feds have made contact with and chronicling how relations between the Federation and these races developed over time. This is a REALLY long list though. So it'd take an entire series to explore them all.

Origin stories for the more familiar races would be great too.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-09-2012, 03:29 PM
I think Enterprise was going to try and do that sort of thing, but it got too hung up in silly temporal wars and Xindi weapons.

Most of my characters suck | I suck at Twitter, too!
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-09-2012, 03:40 PM
would totally LUV an origin series spanning the eugenics war
Captain
# 5
07-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesica View Post
I think Enterprise was going to try and do that sort of thing, but it got too hung up in silly temporal wars and Xindi weapons.
The problem was writers who just wanted to do their own thing. Basically the same problem with pretty much every adaptation or remake ever done....
Republic Veteran
# 6
07-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesica View Post
They did during the fourth season. They had a bunch of plans for the fifth season to set up the Earth/Romulan War. It's a shame it got cancelled when it did. Enterprise was just starting to get good.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Commander
# 7
07-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post
They did during the fourth season. They had a bunch of plans for the fifth season to set up the Earth/Romulan War. It's a shame it got cancelled when it did. Enterprise was just starting to get good.
i liked enterprise , and i agree it started off slow , but your correct it was getting really good b4 they gave it the axe

Survivor of Romulus
# 8
07-10-2012, 07:54 AM
This is what separated Gene Roddenberry from Rick Berman. Gene Roddenberry created every season of TOS as if it was the last season he would have been able to make. Roddenberry knew just how brutal and unforgiving working in television was, and how the network executives could pull the plug whenever they wanted and for whatever reason they wanted.

Rick Berman got complacent with Star Trek. He had been involved in the franchise for so long and seen so many successes that he felt he simply could not be removed (and in a way, he was right). He was so deeply entrenched in Star Trek that he honestly stopped caring. He stopped caring about what it was he was doing. He stopped considering that maybe if he didn't bring his A-game to every single season or every single project that maybe, it'd flop and he would be out of a job -- and so would everyone else who had worked on Star Trek.

He felt that because it had the name Star Trek, that it was able to float on its own. That by having the name Star Trek on Enterprise... that it was unsinkable and would only be cancelled when he and his crew decided to end the series.

So what did he do? He dragged his feet, he started creating more crap episodes than good ones. He started replacing substance with sex. And while sex has always been a healthy part of the Star Trek franchise, it was never a replacement for substance and story. It was always a dessert, never the main course. This really started coming about in Voyager, but was in full force when it came to Enterprise.

While it's true the other Star Trek series had slow beginnings, they had enough merit on their own to warrant future seasons. They had promise, they had potential. They had cast members that people liked, that people could relate to. Enterprise? I'm sorry, I have never come across a single Star Trek fan that said Travis Mayweather was their favorite. I have never come across a single Star Trek fan that said they absolutely loved Malcolm Reed. Enterprise had an uninspired cast that was running on fumes and didn't realize that they were poisoning the franchise and burning it out from the inside.

This whole lead into the Earth-Romulan War was a pipe dream. It would have been reality if they built it up from the get-go. If Rick Berman started producing Enterprise and put his heart into it from the beginning, we may have seen the Earth-Romulan War played out on-screen.

Instead, we're told that it was because of Enterprise being cancelled that we weren't able to see it. We're told to deflect our disappointment to the network executives and not at the fact that Berman and Braga weren't bringing their very best and because of their complacency in their positions, felt they could not be forcibly removed before they were ready.

If I was promised several million dollars, I'd tell the fans whatever they wanted to hear too if it meant getting that money. Even if Enterprise did get going for another season, you can be damn sure it'd consist of 90% ridiculous character development story arcs between T'Pol and Trip Tucker and half-hearted attempts at references to the rest of the franchise, and maybe 10% the Earth-Romulan War. At best.

Berman and Braga needed to be removed. Star Trek being taken off of life support was the only way to do that. Nemesis and Enterprise proved how much they stopped caring about creating quality sci-fi entertainment.

The best Earth-Romulan War is the one in our imaginations, in the fiction written by authors licensed by CBS Studios. Because as much as we'd like to delude ourselves into thinking Berman and Braga's work would have created an awesome introduction into the Earth-Romulan War on screen? Their work we had already seen shows they really would have made it underwhelming and uninspired, and the concepts they threw at us after the fact were just that... concepts.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147

Last edited by iconians; 07-10-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Commander
# 9
07-10-2012, 12:25 PM
sooo...your saying you would like to see the Romulan-War someday so long as it was someone that had the right spirit and attitude to make something specail and not feel like a Milked product!?

How about a Tkon/Iconian Temperal War? That would be something! The Iconians blew their star by sabotaging the gate technology that was stolen from them (and used to transport whole planets), then the Tkon survivors led an attack on their homeworld in responce!?
Mutual destruction is why the Temporal Agents (Starfleet) was created, to prevent happening again!
ATTENTION: UNDINE SPACE & TKON GROUND SETS ALL THE WAY DEVS!.. Q-TRIBBLE, MAYBE!?.. EJECT WARP CORE ABILITY LIKE LAYING A SUPER-MINE, HELL YES!!!.. SPACE HIPPIES FROM TOS PLAYING MUSIC IN OUR FLEET STARBASE, NO, JUST, NO... CAIT & RA'KHOLN ADVENTURE ZONE, YES

Last edited by rickysmith1; 07-10-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Instead of a Star Trek series that explored the origins, I would much prefer a Star Trek series that explored the side stories of the Star Trek universe. Instead of following the voyages of the crews of the Enterprises, Deep Space 9, and Voyager, how about stories about some of the lesser known ships, and their voyages? It doesn't even have to be limited to federation starships and their crews, but could be about Klingons, Cardassians, Romulans, even the Borg (although due to the nature of the Borg, it would probably be limited to following the stories of liberated Borg after liberation, like Hugh, or maybe follow their stories from birth to assimilation liberation). Every week, or every other week depending on the story, we could see the different voyages of different crews of different vessels of different factions, maybe coming back to check up on old characters from previous stories in the series, or even have some "epilogue" episodes that focus on the characters of the old series and what happens to them after their series was finished. If done correctly it could be an excellent anthology of new Star Trek stories (maybe we could get Q to be the narrator).