Career Officer
Because this is something that has been giving me trouble, this whole figuring out how to pm a Mod.

With no REPORT POST button, these forums have become a sometimes very offensive place, full of personal attacks.

We are told to either drop a support ticket (does it even get to Mods ??) - I have seen people try and report things using this method. The things they reported (sometimes VILE and ATTACKING others.) managed to still be around on the forums DAYS Later. This method is thereby a fail if it takes days to remove personal attacks, and vile language.

Or other possibility is PM a Mod.
Ok, this takes more jumping through hoops, clicking on links, and doing the secret handshakes than it should. As stated above I have HAD a lot of trouble figuring this out. It's not intuitive, It's not easy.
Here's a How To ....

(1) REad Offensive , rule Breaking post on the forums.
(2) be Offended.
(3) decide to PM a Mod. Make sure you record , or cut and paste the link of the offending post.

(4) At the top of your page when reading a thread (but not on the main forums page for some reason) are two links.

One is located just below the words 'POST NEW THREAD' on the left. The link is called 'User CP', which stands for User Control Panel. ( I had to look that up ).

The other link is 'Private Messages', and it is located immediately beneath
Welcome (Your name)
You last visited ....

STEP 4 is Click one of these links.

(5) You should now be on a page called "Your Control panel". There will be a number of options. One of those options is SEND NEW MESSAGE , under the header of private messages. Click that link.

(6) Make sure you know the name of a Mod who you are trying to send a PM to.
You will need it at this point. Type in the name of Mod and your message to them.
Be sure to include a link to the post that is offensive.
More information makes the Mods job easier.

(7) Send the PM

(8) Go relax.

As I said, You will need to know the forum handle of a Mod to send them a PM.
Below is a list of Mods I know.
Respond with more names and they will be added.

FORUM MODS
-------------------
pwebranflakes
askray
kalecto

After spending way too much time figuring this out, I decided that someone needed to post something like this. We might get a REPORT POST button back someday.
In the meantime. This is our best recourse.

Peace, Love and Strawberries
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 2
07-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Thanks for this write-up. As the forum rules state, proper means of reporting posts are to submit a Community Ticket through the support section. We have been getting the occasional PM with reports, and since we are not just going to delete them without taking a look, it's okay to send them along that way too in the meantime. Please note that we will not be able to respond to your PMs, though.

We're also working on bringing back the reported post functionality. All PWE games do not have this function, so we're looking at bringing it to all other forums STO paves the way! I've mentioned this a few times in several posts, so hopefully you all will be seeing it soon!

I will ask that these PMs should not be done in-game.

Thanks again, hippiejon!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Career Officer
# 3
07-09-2012, 03:48 PM
I like the way You're dragging the PWE Forums kicking & screaming, into the 21st Century BranFlakes.

Please, keep up the good work.

<TusheyKiss>
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.

Last edited by daveyny; 07-09-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Banned
# 4
07-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Thanks for this write-up. As the forum rules state, proper means of reporting posts are to submit a Community Ticket through the support section. We have been getting the occasional PM with reports, and since we are not just going to delete them without taking a look, it's okay to send them along that way too in the meantime. Please note that we will not be able to respond to your PMs, though.

We're also working on bringing back the reported post functionality. All PWE games do not have this function, so we're looking at bringing it to all other forums STO paves the way! I've mentioned this a few times in several posts, so hopefully you all will be seeing it soon!

Thanks again, hippiejon!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
That actually sickens be Brandon. You guys make sure logic and common manners are brought to all the forums. Pave that way!
Republic Veteran
# 5
07-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiad View Post
That actually sickens be Brandon. You guys make sure logic and common manners are brought to all the forums. Pave that way!
I've visited some of PWE's other forums. Ten Forward by itself gets more traffic than some of them. I can see why PWE never felt the need to upgrade.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Career Officer
# 6
07-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post

Thanks again, hippiejon!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Good luck with that!
Community Moderator
# 7
07-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Yes thanks for taking the time to post this, feel free to PM me via the forums any time.
Twitter: @STO_Alecto | Voluntary Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums | Ferasan Shadow Force
My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs.
Empire Veteran
# 8
07-10-2012, 07:18 PM
I did find it funny that there was no report button, and they expected mods to read every post in every subject to find offensive posts. Because, MOST (I said most, not all) regular users aren't going to take the time to submit a ticket, or send a PM to a mod if they find something offensive, but most of those same users will click a report button, because it's easy.

Most forums I have used since the beginning of time have had a report button, your big paid boards like vB and Lithium of course, but even a lot of the freebies like PhpBB and SMF have the ability to support it, in fact, you can make SMF look like just about ANY forum.

I'm not saying that you should ditch PWE's in-house boards and go to a freebie, or back to vBulletin, but you should really consider ditching PWE's in-house boards and going to a freebie or back to vB.
VADM William "Darkshadow" Shadow | Join Date: Apr 2009 |
USS Immortal NX-93608-F (Oddyssey Tactical Cruiser)
VADM Rogueshadow IRW Kirino Kosaka (Valdore Retrofit)
LT General Morbo IKS Karac (Bortasqu War Cruiser)
LT General Posu IKS Saya Takagi (Chel Grett Warship)
Captain
# 9
07-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkshadow9498 View Post
I did find it funny that there was no report button, and they expected mods to read every post in every subject to find offensive posts.
Some of the forums that I have previously or currently moderate it;s a requirement. Or at least we're expected to do so.

They still all have the report button though.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Empire Veteran
# 10
07-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewendell View Post
Some of the forums that I have previously or currently moderate it;s a requirement. Or at least we're expected to do so.

They still all have the report button though.
That's just sick, especially on a high-traffic site like this one it's insane. (even more so, if you're not being paid)
VADM William "Darkshadow" Shadow | Join Date: Apr 2009 |
USS Immortal NX-93608-F (Oddyssey Tactical Cruiser)
VADM Rogueshadow IRW Kirino Kosaka (Valdore Retrofit)
LT General Morbo IKS Karac (Bortasqu War Cruiser)
LT General Posu IKS Saya Takagi (Chel Grett Warship)