Ensign
# 1 Hit a snag with my "mission"
07-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Ok, I do not know if this particular questions has been asked. If it has, can someone just shoot me a link to the answer? If it hasn't, any ideas?

In my mission I'm creating, the PC is supposed to take place in an ambush of a Klingon supply run. But I really need the Klingon supply convoy to move from point A to point B to be ambushed by a SF squadron somewhere in the middle.

What do I do to get the convoy to move, and the ambush to "spring" when the hit a certain point? I'd really appreciate any advice as I really have very little time to actually devote to this each day. 8 month olds really don't understand "Daddy want's to do something other than pay attention to you right now." Know what I mean?
Career Officer
# 2
07-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Questions:
- Is the player supposed to be taking part in the ambush?
- Are other Starfleet NPCs taking part in the ambush?
- Are we talking space or ground map?
- If ground: Does the player see the convoy all the time (e.g. are there any walls/rooms)?

Suggestions/Hints:
Currently we have no way of actively setting waypoints, so it is not possible for an NPC group to go to a specific place. You can enable "wander" ("Behavior" tab), however the movement is rather random and it doesn't work on space maps.

There is also no way for NPC groups to trigger anything. You can't make the Starfleet group ambush the convoy, when the convoy reaches a certain point. You can only make Starfleet ambush the Klingons when the player (your character) reaches a certain point. All triggers in the Foundry need to be triggered by the player!

There's only one small workaround where you can make the player wait for another trigger to start, by letting NPC groups kill each other in a sealed off part of the map. But I have the feeling that's not really what you are looking for.

What you could consider is having the Klingon/Starfleet NPCs appear (=beam in) once the player reaches a certain point on the map. In all likelihood you have to rewrite that part of your mission.

I hope I could help you a bit. Maybe other authors have suggestions as well!

In general I would suggest you try to make some non-mission maps to get a bit of a feeling for the Foundry tools. They are limited, and a bit awkward at times - but once you get a hang of it, you can achieve quite a lot. It's just that sometimes your story has to accommodate the Foundry's limits.

Links to Tutorials/Guides:
I would also suggest the following links for some tutorials and guides:

- STOWiki Foundry Guide
- Foundry 101 Tutorials

"Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
Ensign
# 3
07-10-2012, 11:52 PM
- Is the player supposed to be taking part in the ambush?
- Are other Starfleet NPCs taking part in the ambush?
- Are we talking space or ground map?
- If ground: Does the player see the convoy all the time (e.g. are there any walls/rooms)?

Let's see here,...
Yes, the player is supposed to take part in the ambush.

Yes, there are about 6 other ships taking part in the ambush.

It's a space map. I have that part done, though not perfect. Good enough for now though.

Ground comes later but for right now I'm just trying to get the first part of the mission ready.

Thanks for the advice. I think I might (through your post) have figured out a work around. Having the Klingons warp in to the system and THEN the ambush happen. I'm trying to adapt a campaign I was writing for ROBOTECH for STO. I figured I'd have to alter things so I'm hoping that that mind set will help.

I will check out the tutorials you suggested. Thank you very much.