Commander
# 1 Are Noobs Logical?
07-09-2012, 02:41 PM
first let me make it perfectly clear that i don't like the term "noob", but i am an advocate of free speech, so use the term if you must. i prefer "new player".

i ask if "noobs" are logical because when i first started playing i was using logic. i was eager to play the game and did not know there was a star trek wiki or this vast forum full of information. i just wanted to play.

i would see players state comments like "10%". my logic told me to destroy the damn gate and things would quit coming through. people would holler and scream at me, calling me noob and making all kinds of bad remarks. no one ever took time to explain the 10% to me, but i was being logical.

i had a rainbow ship at one time; again perfectly logical. i was ready for anything. no one told me i was being ignorant, they just called me a noob. using logic i noticed not a lot of people used rainbows and something was not right, so i started thinking about it. finally some kind soul explained it to me along with the fact that this sto wiki existed and the forum.

i think many noobs, new players, are using logic as i was. i would like to see a playing environment where rather than call a new player "noob" and curse them; i would like to see players explain why the "noob's" logic is wrong.

the logical guys says "live long and prosper".
http://startrek.44thfleet.com/

Last edited by rdm1958; 07-09-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Captain
# 2
07-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm1958 View Post
first let me make it perfectly clear that i don't like the term "noob", but i am an advocate of free speech, so use the term if you must. i prefer "new player"..
Personally, I distinquish between "newb" and "n00b".

A newb is really green, but is interested in learning.

"N00b" covers any of a variety of woes: From someone that just wants to derp around and/or grief for lulz, to a self-proclaimed "Elite" player that still has no idea what they're doing, but cops an attitude if anyone questions them.

Everyone has been a newbie once, but there's no excuse for being an eternal n00b.
# 3
07-09-2012, 03:01 PM
If you don't like the term 'noob' or 'n00b', then use 'newbie'. Most gamers understand 'newbie' to mean a new player, whilst 'n00b' is pejorative and implies you make no effort to improve your ability to play the game or learn the game mechanics. Depending on the game, it can also imply that someone prefers to use cheap tactics/exploits to try an maintain parity with other players instead of improving their overall ability. You can play the game for 2 years and still be a noob. You can only be a newbie when you're actually new to the game.

With regards to rainbow beams, the penny dropped with me around level 30 or so that it was handicapping my DPS. To be honest, it really should've dropped a lot sooner because at the time there were energy-type specific skills. I was belatedly logical about it, I suppose. Honestly, I probably didn't read everything properly at the time, or think about the fact I had limited skill points.

I've not had the experience of learning the current STFs as a new player. But I agree that people, if they don't explain what 10% means, should check that everyone understands it. I don't form groups myself anymore, but when I did in ISEs, I usually asked "does everyone understand 10%?" before loading the maps. I still in CSE groups, when the group leader says 'rmmrl', type it out long-hand to make sure everyone gets it. That said, if you see "10%" in chat and don't understand it, what's to stop you from asking? Or for new players to say "I'm new to STFs, what do I need to do?" which I've never seen happen, even though I've done a few where someone was quite clearly lost. Maybe it's fear of abuse, but surely it's better to ask than to not ask and make mistakes?

That doesn't excuse abuse, obviously.
Captain
# 4
07-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Quote:
first let me make it perfectly clear that i don't like the term "noob", but i am an advocate of free speech, so use the term if you must. i prefer "new player".

"Noob" does not mean new player. Once upon a time, "newbie" had that meaning but it seems to have fallen out of common use. "Noob" means any player who willfully refuses to learn and get better at a game. Based on your experiences I wouldn't think you were a noob, however:

Quote:
i ask if "noobs" are logical because when i first started playing i was using logic. i was eager to play the game and did not know there was a star trek wiki or this vast forum full of information. i just wanted to play.
You seem to be using "logic" as a buzzword to justify your decisions without explaining how and why you were being logical.

Quote:
i would see players state comments like "10%". my logic told me to destroy the damn gate and things would quit coming through. people would holler and scream at me, calling me noob and making all kinds of bad remarks. no one ever took time to explain the 10% to me, but i was being logical.
Let's drop the word "logic" here and use the word "reason". Were your actions reasonable, within the situation you were placed? No. The reasonable course of action would be to ask "what does 10% mean?" and then follow the advice of the players who suggested it. You ignored them when they knew what they were doing. This is not reasonable. This is willful ignorance.

Quote:
i had a rainbow ship at one time; again perfectly logical.
Explain why you thought it was "perfectly logical", or you sound like the kind of guy who thinks "whatever, anything goes" is perfectly logical.

Quote:
i was ready for anything. no one told me i was being ignorant, they just called me a noob. using logic i noticed not a lot of people used rainbows and something was not right, so i started thinking about it. finally some kind soul explained it to me along with the fact that this sto wiki existed and the forum.
Yet at no point did you "use logic" and educate yourself, like by doing a google search for "sto ship build guides", or "STF walkthroughs" or other similar search terms. If you join a STF, you are expected to know what you are doing. You played the game from a position of ignorance until people yelled at you for not educating yourself as to the best way to set your ship up or how to beat the mission effectively. They called you a noob because you were dragging them down and ruining their game.

Quote:
i think many noobs, new players, are using logic as i was.
Hardly. Many new players are simply fitting their ships with what they think should work best and playing the game how they think they should, according to their own imagination because they start from a position of ignorance, like you did. The reasonable players will start by seeking out information on how to play the game effectively, like you didn't.

Quote:
i would like to see players explain why the "noob's" logic is wrong.
I hope I have thus enlightened you.

Last edited by fulleatherjacket; 07-09-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Banned
# 5
07-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Free speech has nothing to do with the rules of a private forum, and the forum rules state you may not make any derogatory comment regarding a player's veteran status.

Last edited by th3gr4ndnagu5; 07-09-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 6
07-09-2012, 03:53 PM
In Anarchy online, we used Froob for Free-noob, a free player who may or may not not what they are doing.
After a while, us froobs enbraced it and proudly wore our fr00b t-Shirt! (actual item in game)
Handle: @kirian_darkstar
Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries
Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...

Last edited by darkstarkirian; 07-09-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Career Officer
# 7
07-09-2012, 04:00 PM
N00b is a combination and refers to a New player that plays like a female lactating organ... Which in all honestly, is a dead on accurate description for many non skilled new players. It's only when the term is used on seasoned skilled players that have become complacent, thus causing an un-force an error, that the term is used as a derogatory.
You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online!
Captain
# 8
07-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3gr4ndnagu5 View Post
Free speech has nothing to do with the rules of a private forum, and the forum rules state you may not make any derogatory comment
Fixed. I look forward to seeing that enforced because I don't think it is.

edit: To answer the original post, I dont like either term. I prefer new player as well.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Banned
# 9
07-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewendell View Post
Fixed.
That is incorrect.
Captain
# 10
07-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3gr4ndnagu5 View Post
That is incorrect.
As far as I;m concerned it is.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining