# 21
07-11-2012, 09:28 AM
All we need is a tad more up/down tilt.
Captain
# 22
07-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krell83sto View Post
4) As Tacofangs said they try to keep it super Simple for the kids.
How dare you insult the best SWBF2 pilot in existence!?

But really, I've flown a lot of stuff around, and my biggest issue is that sometimes I had a tendency to be doing a really fancy maneuver, only to ram a capital ship. In fact, I would recommend the Battlefront Project mod (moddb) for SWBF2, it really gives a realism boost - that's where I mostly blew up in a capital ship's face. However beware - multiplayer is hellishly imbalanced (ALWAYS play CIS or Empire in space, and be VERY careful where you pick which side on ground... or I can't guarantee your victory.) and has the awkward tendency to crash the game or freeze it up for whoever joins the game - doesn't seem to hurt you when you're hosting, though sometimes it'll just go out and kill your own game in singleplayer and multiplayer alike.

Plus it has just one custom map, and it uses game mechanics that make it impossible to play for anybody who joins a multiplayer game in it - instant crash.

Edit: To explain the beginning of the post, I'm only 14
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.
And I don't pretend to understand them.
Captain
# 23
07-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
My feelings on the subject is 2 fold:

1) It's canon. Yes, there are a handful of times in the shows/movies where ships did crazy 3d movements. 99% of the rest of the show, any ships that met in space, were sitting on the same invisible plane, with both of their respective 'ups' pointed in the same direction. This is Star Trek, in Star Trek there IS an up in space.

2) Full 3D flight, without the benefit of huge landmarks like, say, the ground, can get very disorienting. Don't get me wrong, I love a full 3d Space Sim as much as the next guy (gah! Bring back Freelancer! and Tie Fighter!), but it DOES get confusing, even to me. A newbie, who's only here for the trek, and doesn't have a lot of experience in other space games, can already get overwhelmed in combat as it stands today. Add full 3d movement to that, and you've lost a customer.

Oh, and btw, Quaternions screw with my head constantly. Our sky system uses them for sun movement, and it takes me forever to get something into the position I want it to be.
I have never, not once been confused about orientation, in BC, Freelancer or Darkstar one, regardless if there were "landmarks" or not".
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Starfleet Veteran
# 24
07-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
(gah! Bring back Freelancer! and Tie Fighter!)
Don't forget Wing Commander!

@greendragoon
Captain
# 25
07-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
I have never, not once been confused about orientation, in BC, Freelancer or Darkstar one, regardless if there were "landmarks" or not".
Hold on... Did you say Darkstar One? As in the Ascaron game? I got that thing!

I only wish there was something for me to return to... so boring now that I've saved the universe and gotten all the artifacts in existence (and discovered the Ascarong system)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.
And I don't pretend to understand them.
Captain
# 26
07-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalolorn View Post
Hold on... Did you say Darkstar One? As in the Ascaron game? I got that thing!

I only wish there was something for me to return to... so boring now that I've saved the universe and gotten all the artifacts in existence (and discovered the Ascarong system)
Have you flown all the possible combos?.

Yes, that game is pure awesome... But it lacks the "continueability" of Freelancer.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Ensign
# 27 I would like to see it.
07-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphantilles View Post
For people who find it disorienting, there could be a "constrain ship rotation" option. Simple.
I think people forgot this part of the original post. I would love to see full 3D space flight (or at least straight up and down).
I can remember a few times this happened in Star Trek. What about the Defiant flying straight up and over to come behind the ship it was being chased by. Star Trek always allowed for manoeuvres to be done to allow for tactical initiative in a battle. Captains calling for evasive manoeuvres pattern delta etc. (which I believe, as described by Sisko, was "rock her" "hard port to starboard")

Star Trek used to do battles on a single plain because it was all done by modelling. Since it went to CGI we started to see a lot more adventatious manoeuvres seen.

It's been said in this thread that Cryptic have said that it would confuse people to have full 3D flight. Was this said before or after they introduced the ability for the camera to keep track of a targeted ship. I seem to remember in the early game sending in reports about the fact the camera never shifted to keep a targetted vessel on the screen. I think that now the camera keeps up with a targeted vessel, full 3D space flight wont be as confusing.

Plus if anyone gets confused as to what the game considers to be up perhaps just have a display at the side that shows what direction is up. Perhaps do what they do when you can view your ship in the shipyard. That, afterall, has full 3D movement and if I get offset I can just click a button that will automatically manoeuver me back into the correct position.

This is not as difficult as it's made out to be and it can be made usable for everyone just by having a limiter applied. If you're worried about PvPers having an advantage then allow for matches to be set to equal settings for manoeuvrability just like they do with difficulty when you have two people of differing levels team up.
Rihannsu
# 28
07-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krell83sto View Post
1) Babylon 5 - They asked NASA n Scientists for info on how to Keep it as "Real" as Possible.

2) In StarWars there are several moments where you see a ship "not right side up" through out it. Heck Han dives between two Stardestoyers that are flying one upside down the other right side up, they nearly collide during Empire Strikes Back.

3) Reason STO won't go "Real" is CBS, the Space Ships must Always be right side up, as if we sailing on the ocean or something. They're also why we have turn rates like there is "resistance" in space, doesn't match up with physics, but meh it's a Game. There is no "Up" in space, unless you play STO.

4) As Tacofangs said they try to keep it super Simple for the kids.
as a compromise, would the dev team be open to doing "space emotes" where you can press a button and have your ship do a barrel roll or some other kind of maneuver?
Commander
# 29
07-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cehus View Post
as a compromise, would the dev team be open to doing "space emotes" where you can press a button and have your ship do a barrel roll or some other kind of maneuver?
I totally agree with a compromise but instead of making it an emote I think it should be made into captain abilities that are variants of evasive maneuvers and shares a 15 second global cool down with it and all similar abilities. There could be a maneuver meant to turn 180 degree quickly, one to move up, and one to move down 90 degrees relative to the current plane we play on. One other maneuver that would be really nice to have as well is an ascending 360 degree loop that will put us 2km to the rear of where we started the maneuver.
Captain
# 30
07-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewendell View Post
I don;t recall a single B5 episode where we saw 360 degree combat. It all looked like it was on a plane to me.

edit: Heck, I don;t even recall a single upside down ship when compared to others.
then u need to rewatch b5 dude...
John Sheridan@playhard88 - FED Tactical
Vin Naftero@playhard88 - FED Sciencie
K'tan@playhard88 - KDF Tactical
Argento@playhard88 - RRF Tactical (FED)