Empire Veteran
# 11
07-11-2012, 10:32 AM
So the station under construction on the cover of that book appears to be a K-7 like structure being upgraded? I don't see rings though, however there are "Pods" on 90 degree spokes (if viewed from the top of course). But there are four of them not three--which is similar to the basic K-7 design... K-7s spokes are at 120 degree angles I suppose.

It's not uncommon for Sci-fi book-cover art to be inaccurate or not really reflect the story however, so that probably does not mean much.
Previously: QorDaq
Operations Team, 12th Fleet
Commander
# 12
07-11-2012, 10:50 AM
After seeing the rendering of the circles tacofangs showed Ive got to say this doesn't look nearly as cool as it sounded in words. What I think would be more interesting is a base that used the 3 circles at 90 degree angles but are positioned more like the 3 corner pieces of a cube. Then fill the circles with some sort of lattice and give an in game reason like some science or engineering based tech.
Republic Veteran
# 13
07-11-2012, 10:50 AM
it looks like a modified orbital station from Utopia Planitia.
Career Officer
# 14
07-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Mr Taco - given all the excellent work put in around the Tholian ships for season 6, are there any plans to add a tholian station in the same style - I would love to see something with the same angular feel to it. Almost like lots of the ships clustered together in a crystaline formation..

In Game: @Liath | STO Join Date: Jan 2012 | PWE Join Date: Feb 2009
Captain
# 15
07-11-2012, 10:56 AM
In light of the coming content in Season 6 surrounding the Tholians, I'd like to see a new "Vanguard" station added to the confluence of Tholian and Klingon space in the Taurus Reach.

I would love to see a small campaign of missions and locations tied to the station, similar to how the Cardassian / True Way campaign is tied to DS9, and could even draw some elements from the "Vanguard" storyline.

The account formerly known as C_Carmichael
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack. I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
Lieutenant
# 16
07-11-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm sure there are probably licensing issues and stuff that would prevent them from taking part in this. If they were to use a space station from the books though I'd much rather they do the Vanguard series. The shedai (sp?) are back and Starfleet puts a base up back where the old one was the help with the fight. The klingons could get one as well since they were a major player in the story. And now that the Tholians are in the game it completes the set.
Career Officer
# 17
07-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
This matches the mental image the original description conjured. While I'm sure things could be done to make it cooler, the overall shapes aren't terribly interesting to me.
Apologies for the crudity of the model. I just wanted to actually visualize what the description was describing.

To me, the structure seems fairly derivative of the 'Nor stations built by the Cardassians... only in a Pre-TOS kind of crudity (Sperical core, really?) Kind of evoked the "Ring Ship" technology to me, but it reminded me of THIS too.

The basic structure might make an interesting inspiration for an alien station. Perhaps for terribly boring aliens, or a first-contact species who has just developed their first warp drives?
Username: PodSix
Fleet: None
Cryptic Studios Team
# 18
07-11-2012, 03:20 PM
No, I think your rendering was a fine example of what I was thinking of as well.

I think as a TOS era station, it could work. However, my issue with it lies in it's bland regularity. It would appear the same viewed from any angle. Removing even one of those rings, makes a more interesting and appealing shape.

I also have issues with use. What is the point of rings arranged like that? They can't rotate around each other, unless you set it up more like a multi-axis trainer where each ring is smaller than the next, and can rotate within them. But that seems a bit derivative to me, and wouldn't provide the direction of rotation needed to induce gravity or something.

Use always takes a back seat to the cool factor though. I mean, DS9 is a terrible design for it's intended use, but it's cool looking, so we're ok with it. The triple rings (to me) isn't a cool enough look to get past the use issue.

Oh, and that cover is definitely showing a Utopia Planitia type station being constructed. . .
Only YOU can prevent forum fires!

Career Officer
# 19
07-11-2012, 04:51 PM
I don't love it either, but it did remind me of some early concept art from the development of Deep Space Nine.

Then again, I always thought a toy gyroscope would be a cool basis for a space station (though with a rotating middle section, so more of a Babylon 5 concept than a Star Trek concept. It's probably one of those ideas that could look really cool, depending on how you dressed it up.
Career Officer
# 20
07-11-2012, 05:11 PM
First off, wow a lot of negative comments. Let me sum up why I started this:

1) The picture on the cover of the book IS just a Utopia type station, not the station described.

Quote:
You think THIS is cool?
2) Yes, yes I do.

Quote:
but it did remind me of some early concept art from the development of Deep Space Nine.
^ That is why I think its cool. I see it as the Federation's attempt to pay homage to DS9. Also this new station was designed and built by Miles O'Brien and Nog so that's a +1 for me.

3) The description is so very vague that it leave a ton of room for creativity. I mean, I assume that the rings won't be smooth but instead will have cutouts with massive windows for large observation areas, or commercial areas. Not to mention weapons platforms and docking setups (I'm assuming a docking port at the points where the rings meet)

Idk, clearly my idea of cool doesn't jive with a lot of others...

Last edited by dbosco2; 07-11-2012 at 05:16 PM.