Career Officer
I happen to travel a lot and stay in hotels, not all of which do have a usable Internet access. This week, this forces me to live with a rather bad UMTS connection.

Well, actually, for normal internet usage, it is fine, and normally I also could play STO via this connection despite the occasional disconnect or lag. But with the prepatch, I cannot. Whenever I start STO, it congests my available bandwidth even during normal play - it takes minutes (!) to accept a duty officer assignment reward, my other internet activities (such as surfing the forums) time out, and a ping to a sever in the internet jumps from under 100 milliseconds to up to and sometimes in excess of 36 seconds (sic), with averages of 4-5 seconds.

I suspect it has to do with the prepatch. And I suspect that when I'll be home on saturday, I'll be finally able to enjoy season 6, so it is not a big issue for me - I just have to wait a bit.

However, wouldn't it make sense for that ?atching routine to do some available bandwidth detection, so that the prepatch process does not eat away more than, say 30% of the available connection?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Captain
# 2
07-11-2012, 07:03 AM
I deal with cruddy connections all the time. On one now. Wanderingwifi is sooooo wonderful.

Gotta admit that I just close out the prepatch download until I get on a better connection.

For me, einstein bagels here in charlotte has the best connection normally for free public wifi. Usually stays up and downloading from a certain box that i lease *cough* seedbox *cough* it's at a very good speed.

Anything with wonderingwifi never works well. They have dns issues that they acknowledge but refuse to resolve. That's been going on for over three years with them. That's chick-fil-a, bruggers, panera, and quite often independents.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Commander
# 3
07-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
However, wouldn't it make sense for that ?atching routine to do some available bandwidth detection, so that the prepatch process does not eat away more than, say 30% of the available connection?
Actually several issues come together here.
Bandwidth limitation wouldn't help at all most times though.
Having several "streams" at once makes mobile connections very sloppy, due to the way they work.

As an example, if I try to download something, I cannot surf the web (not a single page) without interrupting the download. This is quite the worst case, and I'm glad I don't have to rely on that.

Since you're fine to wait anyway, everythings
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-11-2012, 08:23 AM
ok my 1st bug report,

when my game crashes, which it does alot since the "stability" patch, it asks me if i want to check the files after re launching the launcher, i hit ok and it does nothing, no checks or anything and iv kept it like it for a hour loosing 1 hour gameplay