Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Ensign
I was really looking forward to being able to get higher versions of the low level ships in the new fleet store in season 6, but then I heard that they wont have the excalibur class in the store! I know that CBS said no tier 5 constitution but the excalibur isnt the constitution so what the heck?
Republic Veteran
# 2
07-11-2012, 06:57 AM
As far as I know, the Excalibur is a Cryptic creation. So I think it is on them where they put it.

I haven't heard or read anything on that ship so I don't know if it is a "never" or a "not right now" type of thing. It could be they could only do so many ships right now and had to pick which ones to focus on.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Rihannsu
# 3
07-11-2012, 06:59 AM
What gets me is that the Connie probably isn't that much older than some of the ships that do get upgraded. But then, I guess it is the only starship in the history of the franchise to ever get retired, so it would kinda stand out if it was suddenly T5.

On the other hand, it was only retired because the original cast was getting old and there's absolutely no canon in-universe reason so far as I can tell.

Color me confused about the entire thing.
Banned
# 4
07-11-2012, 07:02 AM
Whether it is an intensional exclusion or simpy an oversight, it is definitely lame.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
07-11-2012, 07:04 AM
I find it funny how they add the NX-01 but not the connie? strange.
Republic Veteran
# 6
07-11-2012, 07:04 AM
That poses an interesting question, does CBS even own the rights to the Connie Refit? After all, we have been told CBS only owns the rights to things NOT in the movies. Since the Excelsior was seen thought the TNG era, they obviously own the rights. But the Connie Refit and Sovereign were only seen in the films. It could be CBS itself is limited by their own cross-license with Viacom though Cryptic obviously got permission to include those two in the game.
Career Officer
# 7
07-11-2012, 07:08 AM
The connie is still used in the films and is a clasic star trek ship so they said no to it becoming a tir 5. this has been talked about a lot in the forms and a lot of people know why cryptic is doing what it is doing. there are still a lot of cool ships still getting up grades so even if the connie is not one of them you still have like 20 ships to choose from.
Banned
# 8
07-11-2012, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post
That poses an interesting question, does CBS even own the rights to the Connie Refit? After all, we have been told CBS only owns the rights to things NOT in the movies. Since the Excelsior was seen thought the TNG era, they obviously own the rights. But the Connie Refit and Sovereign were only seen in the films. It could be CBS itself is limited by their own cross-license with Viacom though Cryptic obviously got permission to include those two in the game.
When it comes to future games, that might be tricky. But as far as STO is concerend, those contracts were drawn up in 2004 when CBS owned it all. So in STO it is entirely CBS.
Republic Veteran
# 9
07-11-2012, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3gr4ndnagu5 View Post
When it comes to future games, that might be tricky. But as far as STO is concerend, those contracts were drawn up in 2004 when CBS owned it all. So in STO it is entirely CBS.
But it could somewhat explain why CBS is hesitant to allow Cryptic to use the Connie as a Tier 5 ship. Because the Connie is technically being used by Paramount at the moment, it could just be CBS would rather not deal with that legal headache.
Banned
# 10
07-11-2012, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post
But it could somewhat explain why CBS is hesitant to allow Cryptic to use the Connie as a Tier 5 ship. Because the Connie is technically being used by Paramount at the moment, it could just be CBS would rather not deal with that legal headache.
Either way that has nothing to do with the Excal.