Lieutenant
# 1 So So So SO confuzed :O
07-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Alright...so it turns out doing some research is not always a good thing?

I have been looking at many topics about PvE DPS, to be more accurate - weapons.

I am running 3x DHC + 1Photon torp

Now:
some people say 2x DHC + 2Torps
some people say 2x DC + 2Torps
some people say 4x DHC

you get the point?

So my question is, and please answer only if you know 110% about this - which combination of weapons (and types) is best.

Thanks.

EDIT:
I am floating in Defiant Retro
Using 3x AntiProtons on front + 1Photon torp
Using 3x AntiProtons (turrets aft)

Also would quantums do more dps if we add all numbers, like high yields and stuff?

Last edited by fratar; 07-13-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Captain
# 2
07-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Might be helpful if we knew what you were flying as well as your preferred weapon type.

edit: Buy I don't know anything. I was engaged for nearly 4 years. My mind is mush.
---
Took 20 minutes to get that screencap and her arm is still doing through the armrest
Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

35 Starbase Projects done. 715 Projects remaining
Captain
# 3
07-13-2012, 05:37 PM
There is no best. It's situational, and depends on your playstyle. What is best for one person in one situation won't necessarily be best in another.

If there was a single best setup, you would see everyone using it and nothing else, and if you find any game like that, the designers failed.
Ainu - Join Date: Aug 2008
Foundry Missions: 1) The Source of Power (ST-HSWUBD5TQ) [Federation] 16+
-----=====*****<[ Fleet Recruitment Thread ]>*****=====-----
Captain
# 4
07-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratar View Post
Alright...so it turns out doing some research is not always a good thing?

I have been looking at many topics about PvE DPS, to be more accurate - weapons.

I am running 3x DHC + 1Photon torp

Now:
some people say 2x DHC + 2Torps
some people say 2x DC + 2Torps
some people say 4x DHC

you get the point?

So my question is, and please answer only if you know 110% about this - which combination of weapons (and types) is best.

Thanks.
Depends on the application.

A 4x DHC is going to do more damage against shields. A 2x Torp is going to do more against a hull heavy target. For this reason, 4x DHCs generally work better in PvP.

It also depends a lot on if and how your torps hit their target. If they end up doing a ton of overkill, or if you waste a full spread against a group of shielded targets, you're going to get a significantly different result than otherwise.

You also really need a proper doff setup to come out ahead w/ Torpedos. Which means 3x Purple Projectile officers. Otherwise stacking energy consoles with DHCs will overcome them.
Lieutenant
# 5
07-13-2012, 06:15 PM
So let's say i want to solo a borg cube. Has shields and big hull.
Which combinations of weapons is best here?

Thanks for answers so far.
Empire Veteran
# 6
07-14-2012, 12:48 AM
For STFs I've found 2x DHC and 2x torp is the best.

Shields don't take long to strip down, the borg don't rebalance shields either so once the facings down it's all hull which is where the dual torps come in.

I run 2 photons (highest sustained dps, good for wearing down the large hit points) and one or two doffs so firing rate is high, and 2x torp spread.

PvP use only 1 torp at most, but PvE where it's mostly about hull, dual torps I think is best.
Dislike the forum theme? Try THIS. Dislike the STO home page? Try THIS.
Devs, need Fleet Orion Marauder and Dacoit please! :-)

Using - Bulwark, Voth Fighter. Favs - Fleet Corsair, Mogh, Bastion, Nicor, JHEC, JAS
Some others - Orion Marauder, Chel Grett, Guramba, Risian Corvette, Risian Cruiser
Captain
# 7
07-14-2012, 06:45 AM
this all depend on your skills too.

however use two torpedos only, if you have three blue projectile doffs active. this will allow you to shoot photon torpedos basically always. with purple doffs go for the quantum (otherwise I would not go for it).

as for DC or DHC... I dunno, whatever you can shoot the best. if you can fully utilize DC, then go for it, it is better, however DHC deals the dmg in less projectiles
Empire Veteran
# 8
07-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratar View Post
There is no "Best", 110% positive on that one.

"...just look at my track record for making the improvements that I said we would with the KDF and judge by that." - Dan Stahl