Lieutenant
# 101
07-20-2012, 02:47 PM
There is really no excuse for this kind of downtime when we have a test server.
-----------------------------------

Guess who's back...back again!
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 102
07-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Update from out Lead Programmer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehpic View Post
We have found several more bugs after yesterday's build went live. It is going to take us a bit longer to get them fixed, tested and into a release build.
Please know that the team is working very hard to get the Foundry back up, but want to make sure that everything is in working order before we do.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Lieutenant
# 103
07-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Update from out Lead Programmer:

Please know that the team is working very hard to get the Foundry back up, but want to make sure that everything is in working order before we do.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Why didnt they get this sorted out on tribble?

Career Officer
# 104
07-20-2012, 03:39 PM
No worries. I think we all expect a few bugs here and there for the next week...
And can you slide in a science buff to gravity well?

Starfleet Regulation 3, paragraph 12:
In the event of imminent destruction, a captain is authorized to preserve the lives of his crew by any justifiable means.
Survivor of Romulus
# 105
07-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fereng1fiend View Post
Probably cause they didn't do any mission republishing on Tribble. After the mission wipe, hardly anyone bothered to make or remake missions there.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Lieutenant
# 106
07-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Probably cause they didn't do any mission republishing on Tribble. After the mission wipe, hardly anyone bothered to make or remake missions there.
So your saying the devs couldnt have copied a test group of missions from holodeck to tribble for this purpose?

Lieutenant
# 107
07-20-2012, 04:20 PM
If they were to offer a compensation for down time item, joking a side (as I know people will put childish answers to this)...

What would that item be? extra foundry slots? Title? (eg Achitect?) A tool belt costume part for casual wear (lol),

If we were to assume that they would compensate for down time of the foundry, In all seriousness what would you suggest as compensation ?

(dont respond with : " They wont! " as I already know this, I just would like suggestions. )
Captain
# 108
07-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Quote:
I'm not a programmer, but I doubt they could account for the huge number of permutations on missions that can occur in the Foundry. Unless they had a server they could actually have go through the FULL republishing process under game conditions, with all of the available missions, I'm not sure they could've tested it in full on Tribble. I don't think copying just a few missions would've done it.

I think the only way to have avoided this would've been to do a full-scale republishing on Tribble--copying EVERY mission on Holodeck and going through the full process on Tribble.

Last edited by gulberat; 07-20-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Lieutenant
# 109
07-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
I think the only way to have avoided this would've been to do a full-scale republishing on Tribble--copying EVERY mission on Holodeck and going through the full process on Tribble.
I highly doubt that. Even 1/4 of them would have probably been enough.

Career Officer
# 110
07-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Quote:
So your saying the devs couldnt have copied a test group of missions from holodeck to tribble for this purpose?
From what I understand, that's not really possible.

They aren't in a database the way a real mission might be.

When they copied missions from Tribble to Holodeck once, they almost had to go in and manually remake the missions.

I suspect it's very wrapped up in the account data of the author and the players. I don't think they're coded like standard missions. Then again, I don't think official Cryptic missions are coded like standard MMO missions... and I think THAT is part of why PWE shelled out so much money for Cryptic and was so excited about the engine. It's tied to why the character data footprint is so high in this game (hence why devs always talk about storage space) but also why Cryptic's games going back to CoH have a reputation for frying systems if players try to overclock their computer and ignore the system specs. (I remember Intel's benchmark test one year at a convention had Carmen Electra demonstrating that the new Intel could run two copies of City of Heroes at once. And it wasn't that CoH had the best graphics. It's that it had a reputation for being a CPU hog.)

Anyhoo... Theories aside... It's not really possible to port missions between servers. Last time they tried, it failed and they had to manually reassemble them.
Closed Thread