Starfleet Veteran
# 121
07-23-2012, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel64 View Post
I, like others, would like to know when Foundry will be up, but we all know this will take time. However, there are other problems in game since Season 6 started up. The most obvious is the server stability went back down hill. Another, for the Klinks, is that the Lore Mission is not working. I know I have submitted my fair share of in-game bug reports, so how about when are these issues going to be looked at?
For the record, how many of these bugs were reported on Tribble? Maybe Cryptic should fix bugs on their test server before sending the bugs to Holodeck. Yes, I know it's not that simple, there's a fair chunk of code that the two servers don't share, and bugs are like a Hydra. Cut off one head and two more take it's place.

Back on topic, I've got this idea for a Foundry mission but I can't do anything with it until the Foundy is back online. Can we please get an update on that? Pretty please?
My Fan Fictions

"Logic and War are old enemies"

Vice Admiral Soval - Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Bunker Hill
Career Officer
# 122
07-23-2012, 06:01 AM
Laforge: captain I am running a level 1 diagnostic....
Riker: for 20 hours......that is a level of incompetence that you are not capable of.

Enough said

Last edited by palpha2clearance; 07-23-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Rihannsu
# 123
07-23-2012, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan218 View Post
For the record, how many of these bugs were reported on Tribble? Maybe Cryptic should fix bugs on their test server before sending the bugs to Holodeck. Yes, I know it's not that simple, there's a fair chunk of code that the two servers don't share, and bugs are like a Hydra. Cut off one head and two more take it's place.

Back on topic, I've got this idea for a Foundry mission but I can't do anything with it until the Foundy is back online. Can we please get an update on that? Pretty please?
If you want to try out the new foundry.... *points at sig* There IS another way. I've tried it on Tribble and it's AWESOME! My avatar is actually my tribble foundry char.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 124
07-23-2012, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpha2clearance View Post
Laforge: captain I am running a level 1 diagnostic....
Riker: for 20 hours......that is a level of incompetence that you are not capable of.

Enough said
hehe Yeah, I know what you mean. Though I hope you forgive me for this...my inner geek feels the need to correct your quote.

LaForge: I'm RUNNING a Level 1 diagnostic!
Riker: For 30 HOURS?? It would never take you more than 4. You're incapable of that level of incompetence, Mr. LaForge!

(I LOVE this episode [and this scene], so I've seen it many many times; that's why I pretty much know it word for word. hehe )
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BuffyFanForever/Misc%20Pics/CustomSizeforSTOSignatureImagesSelection3.jpg
Banned
# 125
07-23-2012, 07:12 AM
This ridiculously long down time only goes to show how ridiculously bad their so called "testing" procedures really are. This all should have been taken care of on tribble before season 6 went live.
Starfleet Veteran
# 126
07-23-2012, 08:26 AM
I think you're oversimplifying the complexity of a DB upgrade, and migration. The Foundry software went through considerable changes in S6, along with new assets being added. Most likely, changes were made to the existing DB schema (database layout) for the added functionality requiring that the missions created using the old schema had to be migrated from the old to the new. I can imagine the upgrade script to be run against the DB to be rather complex.

As far as testing the script goes, it's hard to to that at production scale. Very few companies have the resources to have a testing environment that matches the size and complexity of the live system. It would simply cost too much $$$. So, what you try an do is mitigate risk. You do as much testing as you can using the resources you have, and then weigh the risk of releasing the tested code to production. The "weighing" part is difficult because the are unforeseen things that pop up in a production environment at scale.

My guess is that at this point, they're going through their migration scripts, and attempting to get all the issues resolved that they didn't see on Tribble. You fix one problem, and another pops up. It's like whack-a-mole.

I feel their pain, but am also anxious to get going on the updated Foundry tool.

http://www.stoarchive.com/
Rihannsu
# 127
07-23-2012, 09:40 AM
I can attest to that havign written a mission on Tribble using the new Foundry.

The basic code that handles mission objectives was radically altered. The way mission progress works is now fundamentally different.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 128
07-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
I can attest to that havign written a mission on Tribble using the new Foundry.

The basic code that handles mission objectives was radically altered. The way mission progress works is now fundamentally different.
Different good, different bad or just different different?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BuffyFanForever/Misc%20Pics/CustomSizeforSTOSignatureImagesSelection3.jpg
Rihannsu
# 129
07-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanforever365 View Post
Different good, different bad or just different different?
In a good way. The UI is much easier to work with, and peicing together objectives is a lot easier now.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
Career Officer
# 130
07-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
In a good way. The UI is much easier to work with, and peicing together objectives is a lot easier now.
Cool! I also remember reading somewhere (either in the Holodeck release notes or the Tribble updates) that we could string our missions together (e.g. Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, etc.). Do you know if that's accurate?
Closed Thread