Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Lieutenant
Doesn't anyone find it silly that all Klingon ships (Klingon, not KDF) in STO have Starfleet nacelles and/or 'bussard collectors' on them from the TNG era? It is not appealing. The only exception is the B'Rel from the C-Store.

It all started with the Vor'Cha. Please read the following from Memory Alpha:

Quote:
Additionally, the Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion stated that the design of the Vor'cha-class ship was meant to illustrate the marriage of Klingon and Federation technologies due to the ongoing detente between the two powers, as confirmed by Sternbach, "The idea here was to combine elements of the original battle cruiser (and the hyper-detailed versions from the movies) with some slight Starfleet influence, as though there was some deliberate technology sharing between the Federation and the Klingon Empire..."
Here is a forum post by Rick Sternbach:

Quote:
...the Vor'cHa was definitely a product of technology transfer between Starfleet and the Klingon shipyards; well, more from Starfleet than the other way 'round.
and...

Quote:
The reason the Vor'cHa and the Negh'Var have similar body parts is because the mold for the Vor'cHa miniature existed and made the variations for a new ship easier; it was a production thing.
As you can see, it had more to do with production than canon.

These are the original Klingon warp nacelles (notice the color and the type of glow) or at least one of their variations:

D7 K't'tinga vs Excelsior

How would Starfleet players like it if all of their vessels would now have to use the 'elongated neck' in their ship designs to illustrate the 'exchange of technology'?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by snowlili; 07-09-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
07-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Why would the KDF go back to an inferior bussard collector and nacelles? The Federation always had superior warp capability, and the 'tech marriage' brought them up to speed. Going away from the technology upgrade would drop their ships warp speed, efficiency, and pretty much guaranteed the Feds a victory just for 'aesthetics'.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
07-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlili View Post

How would Starfleet players like it if all of their vessels would now have to use the 'elongated neck' in their ship designs to illustrate the 'exchange of technology'?

Thanks for reading.
I think it would be pretty cool

Hurricane Class Starship

Would be nice to see more variation in Starfleet designs :-)

My views are my own and may not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment
Lieutenant
# 4
07-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer5488 View Post
Why would the KDF go back to an inferior bussard collector and nacelles? The Federation always had superior warp capability, and the 'tech marriage' brought them up to speed. Going away from the technology upgrade would drop their ships warp speed, efficiency, and pretty much guaranteed the Feds a victory just for 'aesthetics'.
Starfleet technology can become inferior too. It's called a technological breakthrough in your own technology.

Also, what inferior Starfleet tech has been replaced by the Klingon tech in the so-called 'tech marriage' that is clearly visible in their ship design in return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suricatta View Post

Hurricane Class Starship

Would be nice to see more variation in Starfleet designs :-)
Variation is not a complete replacement of all ship designs. There is no variation when all Klingon ships (except B'Rel) are stuck with outdated TNG Starfleet nacelles.

Last edited by snowlili; 07-09-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Rihannsu
# 5
07-09-2012, 11:25 AM
The KDF is big on the idea of using whatever works. I makes sense for them to use a tech simply because it's functional.
Lieutenant
# 6
07-09-2012, 11:06 PM
I'll ask this then:

Why did Starfleet go back to using their inferior technology during the 'tech marriage' with the Klingons? There is no mention of anything distinctly Klingon being used on Starfleet vessels.

Why don't Starfleet vessels come standard with the Borg set? After all, it is superior.

Why don't Klingons equip Starfleet nacelles on other KDF ships?

Klingons have their own scientists and engineers, who build and advance. They built a prototype Bird-of-Prey, which could fire under cloak. That's superior technology. It proves that Klingons can invent.

A 'variety' is an addition, a choice. There is no choice with the nacelles on Klingon vessels.

Last edited by snowlili; 07-09-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Career Officer
# 7
07-10-2012, 12:37 AM
Some Klingon Houses are not opposed to using technology gained through alliances that result in political gain. The cloaking device is another example. Should the Klingons stop using and researching cloaking devices simply because the Romulans continue to be their betters at it?

Some of us have suggested a long time ago that the KDF fleet itself would more likely than not begin to evolve utilizing the influences of the Lethean, Gorn, Orions and Nausican design schemes.
Not total replacement of traditional Klingon lines, but accentuating those designs from 2409 going forward.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Admiral Quinn was never over ALL of Starfleet << Link
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Rihannsu
# 8
07-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Yeah, that sounds like fun all right, and totally what the KDF would probably do.
Captain
# 9
07-11-2012, 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by suricatta View Post

Hurricane Class Starship
An excellent design, but if anything it looks Romulan.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Lieutenant
# 10
07-11-2012, 07:05 AM
Imagine a new ST movie premier: As the opening credits end, the camera zooms out and a new Starfleet ship or a fleet of ships appears on the screen, with the original Klingon nacelles and Borg bits attached all over. The scene switches over to a Starfleet captain who looks out the window at one of the ships, and, with an overwhelming sense of satisfaction, states: "Ah, ain't she a beauty!".

After a major formal petition by ST fans, they are told: "Starfleet tech became inferior, so they replaced it all with with superior tech after a detente with the Klingons and the Borg.".

When I suggest to bring back the true Klingon nacelles and 'bussard collectors', I'm not suggesting they use the exact same revision but rather the same technology advanced.

I've looked the following up for those who are pedantic:

The true Klingon nacelle technology is called 'dilithium conversion graf units' (e.g. S-2 graf unit). The Romulan nacelle technology is called 'quantum singularity energized warp drive units'. They are different technological concepts from Starfleet nacelles. This can be confirmed at this link.

It is the 'dilithium conversion graf units' in their advanced form, improved by Klingon scientists and engineers that I suggest bringing back.

By the way, Vulcan D'Kyr and Caitian Atrox don't use Starfleet nacelles or at least Starfleet 'bussard collectors'.

Last edited by snowlili; 07-11-2012 at 07:23 AM.