Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,273
# 1 No-Win Scenario Discussion!
07-13-2012, 12:05 AM
So, I've had the opportunity to run through No-Win Scenario. . .and the name is apt. All three times, the freighter gets destroyed by round 4 or 5, even with a dedicated tank player to heal it.

Now, I won't pretend to know the full reason for this, as I'm often too focused on fighting the lag and enemy ships. . .but the impression I'm getting is that by round 4 or 5, the enemy ships are spawning within 10 km of the freighter, and firing bio-neural warheads, high-density plasma torps, along with all the other ordinance. The defenders don't get a chance to 'head 'em off' before they shoot at the freighter.

So. . .let's pool thoughts. Any ideas as to how we're supposed to keep the silly freighter from getting blown to bits? Even laying down covering fire in the form of scatter shot probably won't handle it, since they're using more than just destructible stuff on the freighter.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 130
# 2
07-13-2012, 12:18 AM
Our fleet ( pvp orianted) got threw 6 and died at the start of 7 in are first try before servers went down. In a pug it will be really hard to get to 5. Past 5 your going to need specific CC builds and teamwork/ teamspeak.

TBR
Grav
EWP

and a dedicated healer are just some basics.

Iam sure stratagys will arise. I can tell you this I will never do it again in a pug this isnt elites, its elites on crack and teamwork is a must and in a pug thats like seeing Santa Claus.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,273
# 3
07-13-2012, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradise1killer View Post
Our fleet ( pvp orianted) got threw 6 and died at the start of 7 in are first try before servers went down. In a pug it will be really hard to get to 5. Past 5 your going to need specific CC builds and teamwork/ teamspeak.

TBR
Grav
EWP

and a dedicated healer are just some basics.

Iam sure stratagys will arise. I can tell you this I will never do it again in a pug this isnt elites, its elites on crack and teamwork is a must and in a pug thats like seeing Santa Claus.
Yeah, we've been asking for a real challenge for some time now, and we finally got one. Looks good, too, and I hope they'll eventually expand it to cover more scenarios, necessitating in more problem-solving
Ensign
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
# 4
07-13-2012, 12:35 AM
My impression from participating at No-Win is that it is really irritating how enemy ships sometimes appear in the firing distance of a civilian ship, and concentrate on it. Unless you are playing with a pre-organized team and with a "healer", but if you are playing with random set of playes, you simply, end up losing. And the feeling that you have from it is that it has jest been unfair, spawning within 10km range and shooting the torpedoes.

I think that should be fixed. there should be at least 15-20 km distance, so that a player could try to keep them away from the civilian ship. Surely, there are ways to overflow and overpower the team without spawning the enemy within 10km range!

Please fix!
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 399
# 5
07-13-2012, 01:02 AM
Some projectiles can be shot down, and if you did it right in the waves before, the freighter has enough live to survive. Then its up to you to be fast.
Waves are predictable, so if you take your time, learning what spawns when, you get more and more successes.

After all the idea behind No Win is a scenario you have to learn the hard way.
(Kobayashi Maru Style)
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 6
07-13-2012, 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrayu23 View Post
My impression from participating at No-Win is that it is really irritating how enemy ships sometimes appear in the firing distance of a civilian ship, and concentrate on it. Unless you are playing with a pre-organized team and with a "healer", but if you are playing with random set of playes, you simply, end up losing. And the feeling that you have from it is that it has jest been unfair, spawning within 10km range and shooting the torpedoes.

I think that should be fixed. there should be at least 15-20 km distance, so that a player could try to keep them away from the civilian ship. Surely, there are ways to overflow and overpower the team without spawning the enemy within 10km range!

Please fix!
You know what no-win scenario means right?
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,273
# 7
07-13-2012, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
You know what no-win scenario means right?
Precisely. I wasn't particularly complaining that they're doing that. I enjoy a challenge, in a game where a fair challenge is hard to find. I mentioned it as an observation, and was hoping to spark discussion as to how best to counter said computer tactic. In the end, I don't think this will be the kind of scenario suitable for pugs, even if the pugs are good. You have to have the right setup and a team willing to plan things out.
Ensign
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
# 8
07-13-2012, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
You know what no-win scenario means right?
And you tell me, that no-win means that enemy shipd have to appear within the firing range, and no further?
Ensign
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
# 9
07-13-2012, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingmaster View Post
Precisely. I wasn't particularly complaining that they're doing that. I enjoy a challenge, in a game where a fair challenge is hard to find.
I am not against a hard challenge. But don' tell me you can't make it hard without having the enemies respawn in the firing range! You can add 2 or 3 ships and compensate for that. It's not the issue of making it less hard. And I am not saying it's not playable - it is. But I personally do find this specific thing irritating and unpleasant.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,395
# 10
07-13-2012, 02:57 AM
You'd really need two dedicated healers in Sci ships (or maybe Odys) to get much further past ~7. The spawns become so profligate and so close to the freighter that it's instadeath without copious ES3, TSS3, ET3 etc.

I haven't worked out what the strat for DPS would be. I've heard Scramble Sensors for messing up the bio-neural warheads but I'm not sure if it actually triggers or not.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:50 PM.