Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lieutenant
Boeing Bird of Prey

Quote:
The Boeing Bird of Prey was a black project aircraft.
Quote:
It developed technology and materials which would later be used on Boeing's X-45 unmanned combat air vehicle.
Quote:
The aircraft's name is a reference to the Klingon Bird of Prey warship from the Star Trek television series.
There is also the F-22 'Raptor', and Klingons have 'Raptors'.

I just found out something disturbing about the Klingons from Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. Apparently, they were strongly compared to the Nazis: Kirk's reference at the table about the "breathing room" and the color theme for the Klingon banners.

Does U.S. military equate itself to the late Klingons now?

The latest Klingons from JJ Abrams ST movie look... like 'beasts' under helmets.

I don't like this at all.

Maybe Star Trek is not for me.

Last edited by snowlili; 07-14-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-14-2012, 03:56 AM
A raptor is also a bird of prey, such as an eagle, hawk, falcon. All 3 of which are or have been US Fighter aircraft names.
Having trouble with ground STFs? Looking for help?

Join the STFHelp channel
Career Officer
# 3
07-14-2012, 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlili View Post
The latest Klingons from JJ Abrams ST movie look... like 'beasts' under helmets.

I don't like this at all.

Maybe Star Trek is not for me.
Egad, do they really have to reimagine Klingons again? I knew they might need some updating to match modern movie realism, but that... Were-Shredder!?

That's just a cheap ploy to go after the TMNT and Twilight fans.
Reave
Republic Veteran
# 4
07-14-2012, 05:07 AM
Don't think too much into it. All of the US Army's helicopters are named after American Indians:
Chinook
Apache
Kiowa
Comanche

Birds of prey is an unofficial term for raptor-type birds (eagles, hawks, etc). These birds are known for swooping down and snatching their prey while looking majestic while doing it. So obviously, you can understand why the military would use those names.

Plus, having the Bald Eagle be our mascot helps.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Commander
# 5
07-14-2012, 07:31 AM
In the case of the Raptor, the US military actually had the name first. The F-22 Raptor started flying (but not on active duty) in 1997, but the Klingon Raptor didn't make an appearance until the Enterprise episode "Sleeping Dogs" in 2005. The F-22 entered active duty the same year, but had been in test flights and such for eight years beforehand.

The ultimate homage to Star Trek is still the fact that fans managed to convince NASA to name the first shuttle Enterprise.
Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Republic Veteran
# 6
07-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by velktra View Post
In the case of the Raptor, the US military actually had the name first. The F-22 Raptor started flying (but not on active duty) in 1997, but the Klingon Raptor didn't make an appearance until the Enterprise episode "Sleeping Dogs" in 2005. The F-22 entered active duty the same year, but had been in test flights and such for eight years beforehand.

The ultimate homage to Star Trek is still the fact that fans managed to convince NASA to name the first shuttle Enterprise.
But remember that the Enterprise was so named because of the famous carrier USS Enterprise that fought in WWII.
Commander
# 7
07-14-2012, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post
But remember that the Enterprise was so named because of the famous carrier USS Enterprise that fought in WWII.
Yeah there's that too. They've been trading names back and forth for a long time; a lot of Star Trek ships have been named after real ones... or they at least share a name even if it was unintentional.
Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Republic Veteran
# 8
07-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by velktra View Post
Yeah there's that too. They've been trading names back and forth for a long time; a lot of Star Trek ships have been named after real ones... or they at least share a name even if it was unintentional.
Well, Gene was heavily influenced by real ships. The Enterprise and the Yorktown being sister ships, for example.
Banned
# 9
07-14-2012, 08:46 AM
OP, ST VI was comparing the Klingons to the communists...hense the whole conversation with Hamlet in "Original Klingon;" commi's back then were just taking known stuff and taking credit.
Career Officer
# 10
07-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlili View Post
There is also the F-22 'Raptor', and Klingons have 'Raptors'.
Pretty sure "Raptor" name was used for the F-22 before it was used on "Enterprise."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrisvalar View Post
Egad, do they really have to reimagine Klingons again? I knew they might need some updating to match modern movie realism, but that... Were-Shredder!?
Not sure how "re-imaged" they are until we see under their helmets. After all, the whole point of the helmets was to keep it ambiguous whether their foreheads were smooth or had the ridges of TMP and beyond.