Career Officer
When I started playing STo a few months ago. I initially never had any crashes. Just some graphical issues which i suppose were solved by catalyst updates (later I wiped my hard-drive and reinstalled windows).
about 3 months ago STO would start to crash frequently. Every time i run the game there was high frequency sounds coming from the fan that helps cool my GPU. When I updated my BIOS, my system was quite as a mouse during gaming. But after about 10 days those high frequencies popped up again and STO started crashing frequntly - with the periodic BSOD thrown in for good measure.
Most of the crashes occurs with only the game crashing and then asking you to send a dump.
The bsods that would periodically pop up would mostly indicate IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Sometimes the bsods would reference system files.
I took in my PC for diagnostics. Torture test and other stuff were run on RAM and the other hardware for 24 hours straight each time, with absolutely no problems.
I'm at a loss. Could my AMD based system be causing the crashes? or could the STO program be detecting something in my windows files that it doesn't like?
One gamer mentioned that the stuff in my sys.ini file was very old. But i don't see how that would be a problem.

Here is my hardware:

- AMD PHENOM II X4 965 3.4GHZ QUAD CORE BLACK BOX EDITION
- GIGABYTE RADEON HD5770 GV-R577SO-1GD SUPER OVERCLOCK 1GB PCI-E RETAIL
- GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 RETAIL (motherboard)
- Litepower 600 (psu)
Note: the original stock heat sink on my GPU was removed and coupled with an Accelero S1 Plus VGA cooler
- Case: Thermaltake http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...C=1470&ID=2068

If anybody can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. when I recently reinstalled windows the old windows folder was isolated and named Windows_Old. When I attempted to erase it it took a very long time. So i cancelled the operation, but then the folder disappeared - but the space it took up on my HD wasn't freed. I don't know if that even remotely is related to my problem

P.S.S if my memory serves me correctly, I had a few crashes with Duke Nukem Forever as well. I haven't played it in a while. I've mainly been addicted to STO
Career Officer
# 2
07-19-2012, 03:36 PM
so i'm guessing NOBODY has any idea why my STO program would be crashing all the time? or why my rig always run high pitches while gaming?
Commander
# 3
07-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Sinse late June STO has been constantly crashign on me too. No BSOD but the game itself would crash, I could use taskmaster to close STO 50% of the time and I could still navigate on my laptop. Though I would have to shutdown or restart to play STO again...well attempt to.

PWE support was very unhelpful.
EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
Career Officer
# 4
07-19-2012, 09:58 PM
do you think it might have something to do with the fact that the STO program is detecting something in my windows files that it doesn't like??
Career Officer
# 5
07-19-2012, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse2001 View Post
do you think it might have something to do with the fact that the STO program is detecting something in my windows files that it doesn't like??
Did the thought ever occur to you that the 'Super Overclock' and the high pitch screem from the graphics card cooling fan may be related??? You you tried setting the card for no overclock?
Ensign
# 6
07-20-2012, 09:27 AM
If your getting high pitched sounds from your video card when you crash, its a very good indicator that you may be overheating. Clean out your video card with some canned air, get as much dust out as you can without letting the fans be blown to fast with the canned air.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
07-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Dial back on the video card over-clocking and maybe dial back the graphics settings a tad and the overheating/lock up issue will go away.
Career Officer
# 8
07-20-2012, 04:28 PM
actually i'm not over-clocking..... :/ but I've lowered certain settings, and my problem still persists.

Last edited by apocalypse2001; 07-20-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Career Officer
# 9
07-20-2012, 04:32 PM
well the problem is I don't know how to check if my card is accidentally over-clocked...I don't have the CD for it with me. how can I check?
Career Officer
# 10
07-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam73 View Post
Dial back on the video card over-clocking and maybe dial back the graphics settings a tad and the overheating/lock up issue will go away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchyotaku View Post
Did the thought ever occur to you that the 'Super Overclock' and the high pitch screem from the graphics card cooling fan may be related??? You you tried setting the card for no overclock?
So you're saying my card is FACTORY over-clocked? is there anyway to switch it? so that it's NOT over-clocked?

P.S. I don't have the cd with me. I've left it in another country :/

EDIT: I managed to download OC Guru II. I reduced the memory clock from 1200 to 900 with the program. Recommendations? alterations?

Last edited by apocalypse2001; 07-20-2012 at 07:05 PM.