Career Officer
The devs expected a higher demand for dilithium... and cheap ZEN on the exchange (fueled by that high dilithium demand) is good for PWE and the game all around because it creates a heightened sense of value for activity while PWE still makes its money. (Because the transaction is still paid for.)

I was looking at the idea of fleet modules for dilithium and I crunched out the following number as an estimated value:

1 Fleet Module for 200k dilithium.

That's the equivalent of 537 ZEN at current rates so it's not immediately a better option but it does guarantee a level of access while creating a dilithium sink. The more dilithium sinks there are, the more ZEN dilithium will be able to buy because the value of dilithium will rise up.

Now, unless they removed fleet modules from the C-Store or ZEN could buy over 400 dilithium per ZEN, it's a bad value.

So tweaking the idea, here's a suggestion for how to indirectly sell it:

Research Fleetyard Improvements - Duty Officer Assignment
Requires: 100 Uncommon Unreplicateable Material
20% Chance - Disaster
40% Chance - Failure = Unlocks one of several random new cosmetic hull options
30% Chance - Success = 1 Fleet Module
10% Chance - Critical Success = 2 Fleet modules

The net result is that it will probably cost the same or more. (In fact, the higher the price of dilithium relative to ZEN, the better the deal this becomes for PWE. And this inherently raises the value of dilithium.) The extra hull textures help push the added cost vs. the C-Store, based on current conversions, and the more popular this is, the more costly it is, effectively.

The whole thing works out to an average cost of 200k dilithium per Fleet module. The added features warrant the higher cost and the more popular this is, the more costly it becomes because of its effect on the economy. Moreover, you have people trying after they've succeeded to try to get all the potential fail rewards.

It's fundamentally a better deal for PWE than the C-Store Fleet Module and is available wholly in-game.
Career Officer
# 2
07-15-2012, 05:18 AM
Moreover, I'd propose this as part of a crafting revamp/EC Dump where there's a daily mission that awards 1 Unreplicatable Material for 24,000 EC.

The net result is basically the same cost. It's lower than the exchange price but basically works out to the value you'd get if you cashed in ZEN for EC via master keys and is more valuable to Cryptic because it's a solid EC sink (whereas the exchange doesn't sink EC; it just shifts posession of them). However, being limited to 1 per day, it shouldn't tank the exchange price totally but does allow legitimate crafting progress at a reasonable rate.

The daily mission could basically be something like "Test Experimental Replicator."

Like I say, this should have very little influence on everything else due to the relative costs involved but would prompt a lot more crafting activity and allow a way to get a Fleet Module straight up for EC over a very lengthy time, with a solid EC sink involved.
Commander
# 3
07-15-2012, 12:36 PM
I like the idea of selling ship fleet modules for dilithium exclusively. It probably won't happen but it would make me feel better about fleet ships being locked to the individual character.
Career Officer
# 4
07-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Some kind of, any kind of change to the Fleet Ship Modules would make me a bit happier.
Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again?
Career Officer
# 5
07-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermbot View Post
I like the idea of selling ship fleet modules for dilithium exclusively. It probably won't happen but it would make me feel better about fleet ships being locked to the individual character.
I don't see it as something that couldn't happen.

The beauty is that by tying it to a dilithium price, PWE benefits by the value of dilithium going up.

And players who are active benefit from the value of dilithium going up because it gives them access to the whole C-Store, reasonably, for a reasonable amount of activity... and if dilithium is truly worth it, people will pay other players cash for it.
Career Officer
# 6
07-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post

The beauty is that by tying it to a dilithium price, PWE benefits by the value of dilithium going up.

And players who are active benefit from the value of dilithium going up because it gives them access to the whole C-Store, reasonably, for a reasonable amount of activity... and if dilithium is truly worth it, people will pay other players cash for it.
But isn't Dilithium already indirectly tied to this with the Dilithium Exchange? The more the demand for 'Zen', the greater the demand for Dilithium to purchase 'Zen'...
Career Officer
# 7
07-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchyotaku View Post
But isn't Dilithium already indirectly tied to this with the Dilithium Exchange? The more the demand for 'Zen', the greater the demand for Dilithium to purchase 'Zen'...
True. But the greater the demand for dilithium, the more Zen people have to purchase.

They win either way as long as there's something to sink Zen on or people think there might be something worth sinking Zen on later. The demand for Zen will stay constant because it has a real monetary value.

The trick is creating a dilithium demand high enough that people will buy more Zen to buy dilithium. Because once they've bought the Zen, it's non-refundable. It's already profit.

They just need to keep the value high enough that people will sell their dilithium for it, while also maximizing dilithium demand.

If dilithium hits 50 dilithium per Zen and people are still buying Zen in droves to buy dilithium, PWE wins. They just need to keep the C-Store stocked well enough that people with dilithium will want to sell it for Zen.

Tying valuable items to a dilithium value and then hiking the value of dilithium allows for a market driven price hike that PWE can't take the blame for.
Career Officer
# 8
07-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Quote:
True. But the greater the demand for dilithium, the more Zen people have to purchase.

your logic is flawed - people who buy zen with $, are just as capable to grind out the Dil they need as anyone else. It baffles me that anyone would trade the zen that they paid for, for Dil which they can earn by simply playing the game they pay to play - - - but lucky for dil farmers, there are some who see it as enough of a hassle to buy it outright instead. as for me, I'll get my own whenever I need some - thank you.
Career Officer
# 9
07-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmousex View Post
your logic is flawed - people who buy zen with $, are just as capable to grind out the Dil they need as anyone else. It baffles me that anyone would trade the zen that they paid for, for Dil which they can earn by simply playing the game they pay to play - - - but lucky for dil farmers, there are some who see it as enough of a hassle to buy it outright instead. as for me, I'll get my own whenever I need some - thank you.
If achievers want more than they can grind out, they will buy it. It's the same principle behind why gold selling happens in other games and they DON'T have a daily cap on how much gold you can earn.

This is all about monetizing gold selling.
Career Officer
# 10
07-17-2012, 02:39 AM
Quote:

If Cryptic and PWE saw this as the case though, wouldn't we have seen more substantial updates to the DStore by now? Not to mention crafting, since Dilithium is tied to high end items there too.

Yet here we are, six months since the launch of F2P (to the day in fact) and we haven't seen any interesting new gear added to the DStore. Nothing done with crafting. The only thing we've seen for Dilithium are sinks as opposed to actual wares for purchase.

Regardless of whether increasing the value of the Dilithium is in the best interest of PWE/Cyptic they obviously don't particularly see it as such. They apparently don't view it as a valuable currency to be developed, but as a worthless time-gated albatross to be piddled away on getting small amounts of actual currency you want (be that Zen or Fleet Credits), or garbage disposables like Transwarp Coils...