Captain
Notes: Discuss and keep it civil okay? Just saying no or yes doesn't really contribute to anything. Voice your "entire" opinion and think before you post.

Intro - Skip if you want to see proposal without reading wall of boring text

So I guess I should explain my reasoning for this? Well I've noticed in STO that we're stuck with tiers of ships which is a shame really as you must upgrade your ship to remain competitive. What happens if you really like your ship that you are flying? Tough luck I guess and a few friends of mine agree.

But what about introducing an experience system for your ships so that they upgrade as you gain experience in them? Meaning that a ship "improves" as you learn to use it, for example it gains a bonus to its stats at rank1, more console slots at rank2, bridge officer slots at rank3 and so on to a set level.... In short, you learn to make "more" of a ship than its factory specs. Push it to its limits and beyond.

In short why can't I use a ship for example that is tier 2 and learn to use it enough that it can compete against tier3s?

Proposal

*As you gain experience in the ship you are commanding, it gains some experience as well.
*This "ship experience" goes to its own rank levels eg levels 1-5
*Each new level increases the attributes of the ship

-Alternate
*Skill points that can be spent in upgrading a specific ships attributes
eg
*Spend in Hull - Increase crew + Hull strength
*Spend in Shield - Increase shield strength + power
*Engine upgrades - Increase base turn rate + power
*Console upgrades - Increase console slots + bridge officers
*Weapon upgrades - Increase weapon power, weapon slots, hanger slots, and device slots

Example

(took Miranda as an example - and no this is not how it should be exactly in game just an example)

Miranda
Level 0 - Stock fit
Level 1 - Added aft weapon slot
Level 2 - 20% Increase to Speed and Turn Rate
Level 3 - Extra Boff slot
Level 4 - Lt level Boff slots
Level 5 - Added Forward weapon slot

Alternate
-Hull upgrades 1-5
-Shield upgrades 1-5
-Engine upgrades 1-5
-Consoles upgrades 1-5
-Weapon upgrades 1-5

Standard Miranda

Hull:10,000
Standard Shields:2,500
Weapons: 2forward 1aft
Can equip dual cannons.
Crew:200
Bridge Officers:1ens eng 1ens tac 1ens sci
Device Slots:2
Consoles: 1eng 1tac 1sci
Turn Rate:11.4
Impulse Modifier:0.20
Inertia rating:50

Maxed Miranda

Hull:17,032
Standard Shields:7,589
Weapons: 3 forward 2 aft
Can equip dual cannons. +2 Power to Weapons, Shield and Engines
Crew:250
Bridge Officers: 1ltcmdr eng 1lt sci 1lt tac 1ens eng 1ens universal
Device Slots:3
Consoles: 3eng 2tac 2sci
Turn Rate:17.4
Impulse Modifier:0.38
Inertia rating:73

Pros

*Breathes life into ships especially at lower tiers
*We get a new part of gameplay to keep us occupied and give us rewards.
*Encourages a greater diversity of ships in fleets. eg Tier 2 ships can be upgraded into 3s.
*If you liked a lower tier ship we get to play with it a lot longer, perhaps even useful at endgame.

Cons

*Will take time to get thought out, implemented and can be quite buggy - for example imagine a k'tinga with about 8 forward weapons and 6 afts? Actually I'd love one but yeah.... balance.
*Could result in horrifically unbalanced ships especially at higher tiers, unless refits and retrofits get less bonuses
Career Officer
# 2
07-17-2012, 04:04 PM
So you want to be able to fly one ship throughout the game? Use lower Tier ships as you go?

Here's the problem with that...

T1+1 = 500zen
T2+1 = 750zen
T3+1 = 1,000zen
T4+1 = 1,500zen
T5RA = 2,000zen
T5VA = 2,500zen
FSM = 5/per, Generally 4 needed, so 2,000zen

... so, unless you're paying about 500zen to upgrade your ship per level, to fly the same ship you already own PWE/Cryptic isn't likely to be apt to let you make that ship consistently viable. They make money selling you new ships. They don't want you keeping your old ones.
# 3
07-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhappyj0yj0y View Post
So you want to be able to fly one ship throughout the game? Use lower Tier ships as you go?

Here's the problem with that...

T1+1 = 500zen
T2+1 = 750zen
T3+1 = 1,000zen
T4+1 = 1,500zen
T5RA = 2,000zen
T5VA = 2,500zen
FSM = 5/per, Generally 4 needed, so 2,000zen

... so, unless you're paying about 500zen to upgrade your ship per level, to fly the same ship you already own PWE/Cryptic isn't likely to be apt to let you make that ship consistently viable. They make money selling you new ships. They don't want you keeping your old ones.
This +1.

This has been discussed many times. As recently as last week.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=306771
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
07-17-2012, 08:19 PM
This has been pitched many many times, from what I understand the Development team would need to make a new Tier 2, 3, 4 & 5 Miranda for this to work. And than make every ship available at every Tier higher than it's own. It's a lot of work so I don't think it is going to happen.

As people have been asking for this since day 1.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.