Lt. Commander
Make Vet rewards based on the account creation date not active days.

Have the rewards only work as long as the script is active.

This will be people like me to PAY for the sub and you can advert it to bring back old players that quit
Captain
# 2
08-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Allowing people who didn't pay month-after-month access to Vet Rewards would just enrage the tens-of-thousands of players who did continue to pay through 2.5 years of game problems. I mean, I understand you want to get more bang for your $10.00, but can't you see how that would make me angry? Why potentially lose customers you do have for customers you might get?
Career Officer
# 3
08-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Not a great idea sorry.
You shouldn't be rewarded for playing for free.

Joined August 2009
Republic Veteran
# 4
08-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Increase subscription numbers by addressing the concerns of the players. Giving veteran rewards to those that aren't subscribing is a bad idea.
Ensign
# 5
08-27-2012, 12:55 AM
I too disagree with this request, it is a very unfair idea, although if you were not paying and this was introduced, a Free to Play subscriber would benefit greatly

Still, it is a very negative way to go for all in general
Ensign
# 6
08-27-2012, 01:37 AM
hate to agree with the census but yea the current way vet rewards are gained is fair to change that now would be like your best friend sleeping with your wife, sister and mother at the same time in front of you.

pay over time and get the rewards over the course of 2+ years or go lifer and save money in the long run and still earn the rewards over the course of 2+ years.

completely fair setup imo all be it the lifer is about 100 bucks higher then most companies have done but eh.
Career Officer
# 7
08-27-2012, 06:02 AM
Also theres the fact that Cryptic is clearly not interested in Subscribers... If they were, there wouldn be so few benefits.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Career Officer
# 8
08-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Yeah, slight modification to your suggestion.

I had the idea that if you want to increase subscriber numbers, use the Vet rewards system/gold system as a motivator.

1) Crafting is dead with dilithium, if you sub, and as long as your are subbed, crafting no longer requires dilithium. This will encourage subscriber growth AND crafting.

2)Create Veteran milestones that are significant. Have the system reward more for paying into it more.

3) Have Gold members C-store prices be discounted, the same as the discount that shows up every now and then. (Not stackable btw.) So, either get what you want when you want, or wait for the sale.

being gold, should be marketed as, a series of things that are matters of convenience. meaning "Because I am gold, there are many conveniences that I have that silvers do not or have to wait for."

City of Heroes went F2P but they are being very successful at it, WHY? Because while they are a F2P game, they still desire a steady stream of cash from their Subbers, which get all sorts of perks, plus their in game store is not filled with greedy grab bag mechanics and IS full of pretty much anything they can sell, Costumes, Powers, etc.

In this game, that would translate into Uniforms, Ships, Consumables, etc.

The fact is their IS a way to be F2P and not be greedy and money grubbing. There IS a smart way to do this, the problem is Cryptic chooses not to do this. I don't know WHY they choose to do this.

Now I know we could blame PWE on this, but the fact is they just want their money, they don't really care HOW it's done. So in that Cryptic can be a bit inventive.

Personally i don't know WHY they even HAVE lockboxes, and just put the ships in those boxes into the C-store, they would make WAY more money, instead of a few people getting them on the cheap, and the vast majority "donating money" $1 at a time, come on please.

I mean does Cryptic realize they have like 10 or so new ships in this game, but you wouldn't know it because they are locked up in those stupid lock boxes. The irony is the game is actually being developed but the new content is locked behind a pay/lottery wall. It's stupid.

-
Captain
# 9
08-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentexeider View Post
1) Crafting is dead with dilithium, if you sub, and as long as your are subbed, crafting no longer requires dilithium. This will encourage subscriber growth AND crafting.
Crafting is not dead due to Dilithium costs. Crafting is dead for 2 reasons:

1: You quickly out-level anything you Craft that isn't Mk XII, meaning there's no reason to Craft it.

2: The vast majority of items you Craft are not as good as the items you earn simply by playing.

For Crafting to be meaningful they need to slow down progression and let you Craft things that are as good as the various end-game gear. Dilithium has nothing to do with either of those things.

Quote:
2)Create Veteran milestones that are significant. Have the system reward more for paying into it more.
How meaningful something is to an individual is subjective. For example, to one player getting extra Character Slots can be meaningful. To another, who only ever plans on playing 1 character in the game, they are worthless.

Quote:
3) Have Gold members C-store prices be discounted, the same as the discount that shows up every now and then. (Not stackable btw.) So, either get what you want when you want, or wait for the sale.
Gold members get a Stipend, which is effectively a discount - as your 500 decreases the cost of how much you spent in a month.

Quote:
City of Heroes went F2P but they are being very successful at it, WHY?
Not to put a big point on this but you have no way of knowing how successful CoH is. For all you know they could be 1 month away from closing.

Quote:
Now I know we could blame PWE on this, but the fact is they just want their money, they don't really care HOW it's done. So in that Cryptic can be a bit inventive.
One small addendum here. PW is a publicly traded corporation. The people who "want their money" are the shareholders, like me. PW made $162 million last year with its 14 games. $156 million of that was paid to its shareholders via dividends - I earned over $3.00 per share last year. PWRD has 50 million shares in circulation, and the people who own those shares want to make money from them.
Commander
# 10
08-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Quote:
One small addendum here. PW is a publicly traded corporation. The people who "want their money" are the shareholders, like me. PW made $162 million last year with its 14 games. $156 million of that was paid to its shareholders via dividends
uhh are you trying to say that their net income in the end was $6 million? for a company bringing in $162 million that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. that shows they are almost entirely relying on investor funding and are making little themselves. when you factor in operating expenses, payroll, legal fees and all the stuff a company has to pay for, that doesn't leave a whole lot for developmenet purposes. Then add the fact their development budget is stretched between several games....

that doesn't paint a good picture for PWE overall

and keep in mind its the customers a company untimately answers to, not the shareholders. because its the customers that provide your income. few customers = low income = angry shareholders = loss of investments. a companies job is to keep its customers happy first.